Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2012 1:13:26 PM EDT
I'm so damn tired of searching for a movie only to have Netflx tell me that it's only available on DVD for only $7.99/month.

I'm on the verge of just simply canceling my account with them.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Licensing.

Same reason you pay $3.99 and up per movie to stream from Amazon.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
because they were a dvd rental place long before streaming
plus I'd guess physical dvds are actually cheaper for them since streaming would need more concurrent licenses

this is why when they raised rates I canceled the streaming option and went to 2 dvds at a time
almost nothing I want was available on streaming
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]

They allowed access in excess of what their contracts allowed and are scaling back. The consumer gets fucked by that, and by higher prices. I dropped streaming, it sucks right now.

You can get two discs at a time for $12 and can still save over the local blockfucker.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've decided that the instantly available movies aren't for searching. Once you accept the selection for what it is and start browsing, there's an endless amount of solid content. I'm amazed at the entertainment available for $8/month.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
plus I'd guess physical dvds are actually cheaper for them since streaming would need more concurrent licenses

this is why when they raised rates I canceled the streaming option and went to 2 dvds at a time

yeah, under the old plan streaming was a nice compliment to the DVD package.  But I would never purchase the current
streaming offering separately.  Not near enough content.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy the tv series they put on there now however if I'm in search of a movie that I really wanna watch forget about it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
DVD, that is so 2005. All the cool kids are watching movies in high-definition picture and sound on Blu-ray disc. :)
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
go to

www.instantwatcher.com

they catalog all the current netflix movies available for online viewing.   They also list whats new and upcoming.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Conspiracy Marketing strategy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the streaming only package. My kids are the only ones who use it anyways. Tons of cartoons and preteen stuff on streaming. If I want to watch a movie I usually hit up Redbox.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like their catalog, but then again I dont care too much about a lot of brand new movies. I do streaming only and use amazon if I want a  new release.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope, the license holders recently pulled back a lot of the streaming content.
NetFlix would just as soon offer it as not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bet you're in on the marketing ploy...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:  I just got done watching 'Watchers' on Netflix, yes they actually had the movie available for streaming!!!

Since finishing that movie a little bit ago, I've searched for the following five movies only to be told they are only available on DVD:  Halloween, The Craft, Don't be afraid of the dark, Lair of the white worm and Friday the 13th.  I finally found a movie available for streaming.....  Phantoms based on the Dean Koontz novel.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm so damn tired of searching for a movie only to have Netflx tell me that it's only available on DVD for only $7.99/month.

I'm on the verge of just simply canceling my account with them.

Canceling is a lot easier then coming on here whining about.

Or you can see if you can get our officials to pass a bill to make then offer all movies on demand, at no extra cost to you
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Rate the movies you like and then try the recommendations. The more movies you rate the more accurate the recommendations.

The wife and I see more than 50 movies a year in the theater, watch more TV than is healthy and we still have 228 items in our DVD queue and 174 in our instant watch queue, most of those are items that have been recommended.

I don't understand how people can say there is nothing available to watch on Netflix.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bet you're in on the marketing ploy...

OPSEC dude; STFU!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I hated netflix. Every movie I wanted was always 3 weeks back logged. Canceled that shit and didn't look back. Sounds like its a load of shit that you pay $7.99 and all the movies you want are only on DVD's.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rate the movies you like and then try the recommendations. The more movies you rate the more accurate the recommendations.

The wife and I see more than 50 movies a year in the theater, watch more TV than is healthy and we still have 228 items in our DVD queue and 174 in our instant watch queue, most of those are items that have been recommended.

I don't understand how people can say there is nothing available to watch on Netflix.

It's not that there isn't anything to watch, it's that the movies that I want to watch are seldom available to watch instantly.

For instance, since my last post I searched for another movie to watch and found the following movies weren't available for watching instantly:  Scanners, Starship Troopers, Cat People, Fast times at ridgemont high, One dark night, The sender, Pumpkin head and Pan's labyrinth.

I sure had the wrong impression about Netflix.  I was under the impression that the older the movie, the more likely it was to be available for watching instantly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that there isn't anything to watch, it's that the movies that I want to watch are seldom available to watch instantly.

For instance, since my last post I searched for another movie to watch and found the following movies weren't available for watching instantly:  Scanners, Starship Troopers, Cat People, Fast times at ridgemont high, One dark night, The sender, Pumpkin head and Pan's labyrinth.

I sure had the wrong impression about Netflix.  I was under the impression that the older the movie, the more likely it was to be available for watching instantly.

they would stream every movie ever made if the content companies would let them.  the licensing agreements lapse and renew all the time.  there's a site that lists new streaming titles and also lists when titles will stop streaming

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... I finally found a movie available for streaming.....  Phantoms based on the Dean Koontz novel.

Affleck is DA BOMB in Phantoms!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope, streaming costs them a lot less.  Costs about a nickle to stream one movie and something like $0.50 to mail one movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Their streaming sucks....the inventory is the same as what it was back in July....I guess I should cancel it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Their streaming sucks....the inventory is the same as what it was back in July....I guess I should cancel it.

who has a better streaming selection?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Every time I thought of a movie I wanted to watch on streaming it was DVD only. I didn't want to wait for the DVD to come, I wanted to see the movie now that's what streaming is for right ? Then they raised the price and I said bye bye.The best part was the movies I thought of were old as fuck and they didn't have it,every other movie that the certain actor or director made but not the hit movie. Now I'm talking Woody Allen's movie Sleeper as one example but there were many others .

FUCK NETFLIX
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update:  I just got done watching 'Watchers' on Netflix, yes they actually had the movie available for streaming!!!

Since finishing that movie a little bit ago, I've searched for the following five movies only to be told they are only available on DVD:  Halloween, The Craft, Don't be afraid of the dark, Lair of the white worm and Friday the 13th.  I finally found a movie available for streaming.....  Phantoms based on the Dean Koontz novel.

Run a quick search, there are a number of sites (like the link I just thought better of, and edited out, even though I think it was fine) that stream just about anything, including everything on your list except lair of the white worm (never heard of it), basically they just have a searchable directory with links to the hosts, it's all streaming, with no downloading just like Netflix but they are totally FREE, and you can find virtually ANY movie, or TV show, I was finding stuff from as far back as 1910, I just got done watching "The Tramp" (Charlie Chaplain movie from 1915, Silent), to say nothing of modern stuff.  Just find what you want, and it will give you a bunch of links, just go down the list till you find one that works/is high enough quality (some if full HD) usually the first link, or two.  Sometimes they even have stuff before it airs, or gets to the theater.  Did I mention it's FREE?

Just google "free full streaming movies" and you should get a couple of them, keep searching, you'll find more.

They don't actually host any content themselves, and it's all streaming so as far as I can tell it's all legal if that bothers you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Getting ready to watch a movie from Redbox right now.  Screw Netflix.  Any company that screws up as bad as raising their rates for crappy streaming and backed-up new releases doesn't get my money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Lair Of The White Worm (never heard of it)

It's awesome, if you like that sort of thing.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't watch many prime movies on it - most of the stuff I watch is TV series and crap like that. The selection there is awesome.

This, people have to understand that every time you watch something streaming, Netflix is paying a fee to the studio to provide it to you.  The agreement between them and the studios is always changing, if the studio wants more money per view, Netflix has to decide if it is in their best interest (read: can still make money) to provide it or not.  To be honest, it's amazing that there is so much content for 8 bucks a month.  I have more TV shows in my list than I can shake a stick at, and the kids programming is huge.  I just wish there was a way to separate different users ratings and access privileges within one account.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#32]
What ticks me off is over half the movies I want to see aren't available at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top