Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 10:08:09 AM EDT
My Aunt was cleaning out a house she is trying to sell.  In the attic she found three old revolvers.  Knowing I am the family gun nut she packed them in a box and dropped them off at my door the other night.

Of the first two, one is not safe to fire (due to it being cheap junk) and the other (A S&W Model 1 1/2) is not mechanically functional and I would have no idea where to get ammo for it.

The last is an old S&W double action .38 spl.  S/N:  538xx  I am not sure what model it is, but I think it is a 1905.  Sorry revolvers are not my area of expertise.  I want to rehab this revolver and get it shooting again.  It seems in good mechanical shape.  The only issue with it I see is the finish is badly patinaed.  I would like to refinsh this revolver with dura coat and make it into a training revolver to teach new shooters, however if it has some intrinsic value or is a rare model I do not want to ruin a piece of history.

So what says the hive mind?

All three

The two nonfunctional weapons

The training gun candidate  (The finish looks much better then it is in the pics)

Right side

Close up of some markings
The top of the barrel has a lot of writing on it, but I could not get a decent picture and it is almost a book, so I am not typing it out.  Cliff's notes is:  Patent info and dates.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That Smith and Wesson in the bottom photos probably has some collector value, refinishing it would destroy that value.  Its also possible that the finish is in such bad shape it might not make much difference.

What brand is the top break revolver?  It might be worth something.  One looks like the typical Saturday night special, its probably worthless.

The finish on the double action is very bad.  I am pretty sure it is a total loss.  I want it to teach new shooters with so unless it is something super rare or a genuine piece of history I think refinishing and making it into a shooter is about the most respectful thing I can do for the old girl.

The top break is a S&W Model 1 1/2 made some in the late 1870's to early 1880's as far as I can tell.  I wish it was functional as it is pretty interesting, but the cylinder does not lock up and the ejector does not function and I have no idea how to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
get a cool frame and put them on your wall!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top