Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:19:58 AM EDT
I'm bored...so here are some stats for you.

According to Alexa.com

AR15.com has a three-month global Alexa traffic rank of 10,893. This site is based in the US. Visitors to the site spend about 44 seconds on each pageview and a total of eleven minutes on the site during each visit, and about 37% of visits to Ar15.com are bounces (one pageview only). Compared with the overall internet population, the site's audience tends to be users who are not college graduates; it also appeals more to men earning over $60,000 who browse from home.

Rank by Country
United States: 2,084

Argentina: 7,426

Thailand: 28,840

Canada: 33,922

France: 54,670
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm confused.  Is this why we can't have nice things?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how they get some of that data - especially salary and education level.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

According to Alexa.com...
AR15.com has a three-month global Alexa traffic rank of 10,893. This site is based in the US. Visitors to the site spend about 44 seconds on each pageview and a total of eleven minutes on the site during each visit, and about 37% of visits to Ar15.com are bounces (one pageview only). Compared with the overall internet population, the site's audience tends to be users who are not college graduates; it also appeals more to men earning over $60,000 who browse from home.

Rank by Country

that's decent stamina...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
ya they know how much people make and their education? wtf?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder how they get some of that data - especially salary and education level.

No, you probably don't want to know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you probably don't want to know.

Bush's fault
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Something tells me its inaccurate and incomplete. the only people with the true stats would be the site staff.
I would also say hits from the mobile site and the work site should be added to the total
Who knows where the of information about education and salary came from.
That being said I'd love to see some real stats about the site published. Like number of unique active members, bandwidth consumption, etc

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I highly doubt their salary data but their education estimate is certainly believable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They use demographic data based upon IP.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, it just shows the French are (still) pussies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, how do they get it from the IP?

Do service providers gather this stuff somehow?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it just shows the French are (still) pussies.

Viva la France!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They get it from end-users that install their toolbar.  While their sample is biased since it is only by people dumb enough to install spyware and that typically use MSIE, but it is large.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]
This place has great traffic for a gun board.  Those numbers are fantastic.  But arfcom isn't facebook.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You just geolocate IP addresses and match that to demographic data by location.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The IP is traceable to a general location (like zip code).  There is a comprehensive database of demographic data based upon that locale.

Example:

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Because people tell them.

Alexa statistics are largely based on users who have the Alexa toolbar installed.

While it may not be representative of net users as a whole, it's a very accurate representation of Alexa users.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why, by perusing the GD threads asking such things of course.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think that site is mostly bullshit.

Well, people spend a lot of time arguing on the internet about the usefulness / accuracy of Alexa.  

Funny that those dipshits over at Amazon still continue to own them despite the fact that it's all bullshit.  Amazon is just days from bankruptcy I hear due to these terrible business decisions.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

well, so is this one, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, people spend a lot of time arguing on the internet about the usefulness / accuracy of Alexa.  

Funny that those dipshits over at Amazon still continue to own them despite the fact that it's all bullshit.  Amazon is just days from bankruptcy I hear due to these terrible business decisions.

For realz?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The IP is traceable to a general location (like zip code).  There is a comprehensive database of demographic data based upon that locale.

Example:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/demographbyIP.jpg

There are far too many variables at play here for me to accept you can take average population data for an area, and plant that over internet users.  That could be like assuming an arfcommer in San Francisco supports Nancy Pelosi.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alexa statistics are largely based on users who have the Alexa toolbar installed.

While it may not be representative of net users as a whole, it's a very accurate representation of Alexa users.

Do you know anyone who would install an Alexa toolbar? I don't.

You think many people on this site are installing a toolbar that monitors their every internet move? People who won't answer the doorbell after dark?

Looking up my zipcode for demographics was fun though

You are making the incorrect assumption that most people are as smart as you, or as smart as the people you associate with.

You probably don't read your spam emails either, do you?  Yet why does spam still exist?  Because it works and it makes money for the spammers.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think many people on this site are installing a toolbar that monitors their every internet move? People who won't answer the doorbell after dark?

You are making the incorrect assumption that most people are as smart as you, or as smart as the people you associate with.

You probably don't read your spam emails either, do you?  Yet why does spam still exist?  Because it works and it makes money for the spammers.

Yet there is no grounds (that I know of) for assuming demographic data for people who respond to spam e-mail in any any equates to the overall demographics of those who receive it.  Now, there may very well be such grounds - but I have not seen a credible argument or study to that effect yet.

Establishing that connection is what I am demanding - it is the crux of the matter here, and why I am curious as to methods.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Percentage of whites = 87

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

According to Alexa.com

Rank by Country

Isn't that supposed to be dividing by zero?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Do they know how much I touch myself while browsing here?

DO THEY?!?!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey I know lots of dumb people!

I still suspect that people who read this site are less likely to download the Alexa toolbar than the average alexa toolbar downloader person, whoever that is, so the average Alexa toolbar guy is probably a little lower on the education and income level regardless of what site he browses, or maybe there are a bunch of really smart but computer ignorant people who would have that thing, I don't know, older people maybe?

I'd disagree to some level.  Arfcommers are really cheap - and seen eager to download and install any free software that will save them a few bucks.  Embed Alexa in a free antivirus - and a lot of Arfcommers would install it in a second.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey I know lots of dumb people!

I still suspect that people who read this site are less likely to download the Alexa toolbar than the average alexa toolbar downloader person, whoever that is, so the average Alexa toolbar guy is probably a little lower on the education and income level regardless of what site he browses, or maybe there are a bunch of really smart but computer ignorant people who would have that thing, I don't know, older people maybe?

I'm going to go download the Alexa toolbar right now just to spite you.

ETA: do you maybe have a link as to where I can get it?

ETA2: it won't screw up my ask Jeeves toolbar, will it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#36]
interesting...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Uneducated guesses at best.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uneducated guesses at best.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Compared with the overall internet population, the site's audience tends to be users who are not college graduates;

That's not a comparison.

Dumbasses.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Example:

There are far too many variables at play here for me to accept you can take average population data for an area, and plant that over internet users.  That could be like assuming an arfcommer in San Francisco supports Nancy Pelosi.

EXPcustom?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Example:

EXPcustom?  

No, I actually think he probably does support Nancy Pelosi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top