Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:21:09 AM EDT
It seems as if thousands maybe more posts a week where posters refer to those Idiot (insert what you like).

It seems almost impossible for some people to write a sentence especially in reply to another members opinion, religious stance, or political stance without including an insult.

Now I'm a fan when it comes to insults when needed. However, it leads me to believe that people don't actually try to think about these rather important positions (religious, political etc etc) and would rather insult someone. (which in turn explains a lot about our current economic, political condition)

I realize there are probably a vast array of IQ's represented on here, but seriously, is it just because you lack the intelligence to respond with civility and a well thought out response? Or is it laziness that "everyone"  who doesn't like (insert what you like) is a crazy cunt?  

Or maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to say things to people on the internet in which you are too weak or in some other way uninhibited by social convention to say face to face.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You're an idiot and this was the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn idiot
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just ignore the replies that call the OP and idiot without reason or cause.  There are a lot of people here who have well thought out replies.  Read those.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Its because many people lack the capacity to actually understand more than one point of view.
Often, these people are incapable of a having an intelligent discussion on a topic because of their inability to think like the opposing side (or at least understand how they think).
I'm talking about everyday life, not just GD.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This is ARFcom!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]
It's sort of a corollary to the rule about how we perceive other drivers on the highway.  (Anyone driving slower than you is a moron, anyone driving faster is a maniac).

Anyone holding a slight;y different opinion from you is a moron, anyone holding a very different opinion from you is flat-out evil.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's sort of a corollary to the rule about how we perceive other drivers on the highway.  (Anyone driving slower than you is a moron, anyone driving faster is a maniac).

Anyone holding a slight;y different opinion from you is a moron, anyone holding a very different opinion from you is flat-out evil.

I disagree.

I don't think people who are politically opposite than me are evil or stupid.  They are just wrong.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
what an idiotic question

geesh
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
People tend to construct a scale of intellect and they place themselves at or near the top.  Their self worth is tied up in their position on the ladder.  

When they think they know something that someone doesn't, it reinforces their delusion that most other people are stupid and they jump all over that shit.

Example:  "Haha! You fuckin' idiot, you thought Article IV of the Constitution established a Judicial Branch!!  Moron, I can't believe you actually walk erect."  

When someone disagrees with them and seems to have a superior depth of knowledge on a particular subject, it threatens to burst their delusional bubble.  So they either attack the person or find some way to justify the situation that does not knock them down from their rung on the ladder.

Example:  "Whatever KeithJ, I have a bachelors degree in communications and a masters degree in underwater fapping, so I don't care what you say about global warming.  And if you're soooo smart, why aren't you like a meteorologist or something?"

When or if they ever grow up they will realize that people are a mish-mash of knowledge and experience on different things.  Your place on the smartness scale is not only irrelevant, but dangerous to your self-worth.  No matter who you are, there is someone who knows a hell of a lot more than you do about any given subject.  

If you tie your self-worth to your relative "smartness", you're in for a lifetime of disappointment.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Because I'm smarter than that guy
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
It's the internet,and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

If you are looking for serious discussion,ArfCom is not your answer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Not every opinion, just the stupid ones.

I prefer the 9 MM over .45 = different opinion
I think BHO is the best president evar = Idiot
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Because that's just the way it is.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Because having seen the same data, evidence etc, they came to the wrong conclusion.
What else could cause that besides being an idiot?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
It is not enough that i win the contest, but my opponent must lose horribly. It must be public, it must be humiliating, it must destroy my enemy utterly.

The surest way to see this to fruition is to call him a dork over the internet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a very long, articulate post typed out, explaining that since homo sapiens first began to find safety in homogonous tribal groups, we have realized that different puts the entire group at risk, and how we are genetically predisposed to shun the 'off the norm' member of the group.

Then I realized you weren't smart enough to understand it.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Because having seen the same data, evidence etc, they came to the wrong conclusion.

What else could cause that besides being an idiot?

The problem is that they do not have the same background as you, they do not think in the same way as you, and they do not approach the issue in the same way.  

For example, many people approach issues emotionally rather than logically.  That often means their conclusions about the issue differ, though they are not necessarily "wrong."

Also, assuming they have the same information as you and came to the wrong conclusion is folly.  A great many times people form opinions based on little if any hard facts, and their opinions (even ones held with conviction) can be changed if they would truly make an effort to find objective information, rather than cherry picking things that seem to support their preconceived ideas.
One big topic of disagreement for me on arfcom is religion.  I was raised to question everything, you could say my world view is based on skeptical investigation.  After reviewing all the facts, it is abundantly clear to me that the only logical conclusion for me to arrive at is agnostic atheism.  That doesn't mean I think theists are idiots, just that they don't place the same weights on evidence, logic, emotion, "faith" than I do or that they have not considered all the logical alternatives to the issue.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Its because many people lack the capacity to actually understand more than one point of view.

Often, these people are incapable of a having an intelligent discussion on a topic because of their inability to think like the opposing side (or at least understand how they think).

I'm talking about everyday life, not just GD.  

If they could THINK, they would all agree with me!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Because they are.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So what do you call the driver with a O2012 sticker on the vechicle?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Let it go, you care too much about something you'll never change and doesn't matter in the long run anyway.

What if new information comes to light that makes your previous position unreasonable?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I see the slow drivers that won't get out of the left lane as self-righteous, pompous, inconsiderate assholes and I see the ones going faster as crazier than I am and I make damn sure I am outta their way.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the slow drivers that won't get out of the left lane as self-righteous, pompous, inconsiderate assholes and I see the ones going faster as crazier than I am and I make damn sure I am outta their way.

I see the slow drivers that won't get out of the left lane as timid individuals.

I see the fast drivers as people who are richer than me and can afford a ticket.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#26]
You are absolutely correct, OP.  I don't want to have an intelligent conversation with an idiot.  I want to insult them because that is all they are worth.  I'm glad someone understands this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#27]
"Your shit's all fucked up and you talk like a fag!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Because hobbsar has his faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

But if you want to be an idiot, don't let me stop you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Because I am the smartest man alive.In my mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#30]
The measure of a man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#31]
You know how dumb the average person is.  Half of them are even dumber than that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

I don't think people who are politically opposite than me are evil or stupid.  They are just wrong.

No, if they support Ron Paul they are evil and stupid... And they hate America and freedom!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#33]
People who don't agree with me are wrong. Otherwise, I would be thinking like them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bingo!

It's not about different opinions, it's about truth, reality, logic based reasoning. If my opinion is leaked US national security isn't harmful and should be encouraged, I would be wrong. If my opinion is going to the gold standard and laying off 2 million DOD and fed employees will be good for national security, the domestic and international economy/stability, I would be wrong. If I was holding hands with but didn't notice my movement was hijacked by hard core pro mudslinger opinion shaper doubt/deafist agitator leftwing activists hiding behind my name and party with an ulterior intent to keep the dirty mudslinger perception off the DNC and President Obama, I would be ignorant. Operation Chaos on DNC steroids. Yay!

wrong+wrong+ignorant="Your shit's all fucked up and you talk like a fag!" lmao!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I think they were born that way
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#36]
government schooling
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!

It's not about different opinions, it's about truth, reality, logic based reasoning. If my opinion is leaked US national security isn't harmful and should be encouraged, I would be wrong. If my opinion is going to the gold standard and laying off 2 million DOD and fed employees will be good for national security, the domestic and international economy/stability, I would be wrong. If I was holding hands with but didn't notice my movement was hijacked by hard core pro mudslinging leftwing activists hiding behind my name and party with an ulterior intent to keep the dirty mudslinger perception off the DNC and President Obama, I would be ignorant. Operation Chaos on DNC steroids. Yay!

wrong+wrong+ignorant="Your shit's all fucked up and you talk like a fag!" lmao!

your presence was requested here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_130/1273855_beararms___I_m_tired_of_your_schtick.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#38]
See sig line below.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]
All Ron Paul supporters are idiots

You are a Ron Paul supporter

Win!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Many people are highly opinionated and have no tolerance for anyone who doesn't agree with them. I've noticed that these same people also often tend to categorize people based on other arbitrary criteria that may or not make any sense. Politics and religion seem to be particularly polarizing subjects. While difficult sometimes, I try to ignore them. They're not just here, they're everywhere... maybe they're just more vocal here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Common error seen here:

ID 10 T
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Profanity is a linguistic crutch for inarticulate motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#43]
The people who say that are idiots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#44]

The personal insults are a way of flagging the demtard trolls here on ARFcom.

Offer an opinion that goes against the Progressivist grain ............ the first responses are usually "You're an idiot/retarded/etc."

Hit "report" and be done with them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Tons of people have legitimate differences of opinion.  Unfortunately, plenty of people think we can sustain a 1t/year deficit forever too, which is not a legitimate difference of opinion, it's stupid.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

this is probably it.  same with the 'everything is a conspiracy' crowd.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#47]
They choose to be idiots.  I can't help that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I like to base my opinions on interpretations of facts. Therefore, my opinions are facts. Only idiots dont agree with facts.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

They choose to be idiots.  I can't help that.

Do you honestly believe that every single opinion you have about every topic is 100% correct?

That there are no topics where you have missed the mark due to a limited understanding, willful ignorance, or emotion trumping logic?

If so.

I strive to base everything I believe on facts and reason but every once in a while this forces me to evaluate a previously held position.  Its called becoming wiser with age.

I find often saying "they are idiots" is a defense mechanism protecting the person who says it from using their brain.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Let it go, you care too much about something you'll never change and doesn't matter in the long run anyway.

Well put
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top