Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:14:31 PM EDT
I bought a 97 5spd cc. Only mods I know for a fact are intake, exhaust, and gauges, as well as intercooler. I found a guy who had Rosewood stage 1 injectors, he purchased them in July. He recently decided to go back to stock and is selling his stage 1's. My truck has 240k miles, and I have no paperwork showing an injector job, or really any other maintenance info.
I have a flatbed that weighs 1k on it, and a winch bumper weighing 250 pounds. 3.55 gears, and 265 tires. I've been getting 15.5 mpg all day long keeping it at 2k rpm. I've got no smoke at startup, except for white which I attribute to glowplugs being worn out.

So my question is this guy wants my injectors+$400 cash. Should I go ahead and do the deal for guaranteed "new" injectors, or just keep mine and hope that they were replaced/wait fora  problem to pop up and then replace them?

I prefer to be proactive with my maintenance instead of reactive, but am not real sure if this deal is trying to take me to task or what.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Stock replacement Injectors for a 97 7.3 are going to run you in the $1200-$1800 dollar range + a $1000+ core charge. Stage one injectors (+55hp usually) can be in the $400 range each so if he is willing to make the trade, you would come out pretty good. Remember that those injectors will make your truck smokey if you don't have enough turbo to clean up the smoke. In addition, you need to watch your EGT's since they will likely climb as well. Your tranny will be fine as long as your clutch is still in good shape.

White smoke at startup on a power stroke is sometimes an indicator of a leaking injector btw, or a head gasket. Does the smoke smell sweet or more like diesel? This is not always the case, some white smoke is normal at startup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stock replacement Injectors for a 97 7.3 are going to run you in the $1200-$1800 dollar range + a $1000+ core charge. Stage one injectors (+55hp usually) can be in the $400 range each so if he is willing to make the trade, you would come out pretty good. Remember that those injectors will make your truck smokey if you don't have enough turbo to clean up the smoke. In addition, you need to watch your EGT's since they will likely climb as well. Your tranny will be fine as long as your clutch is still in good shape.

White smoke at startup on a power stroke is sometimes an indicator of a leaking injector btw, or a head gasket. Does the smoke smell sweet or more like diesel? This is not always the case, some white smoke is normal at startup.

I'm intercooled, with a stock turbo. I can also get his chip if that matters, 6position php for $350.

Clutch I'm sure is coming, but I'm trying to do these major items one piece at a time instead of having to drop several k when all the problems pop up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like a good deal,  but I personally don't trust used mechanical car parts going into my vehicles.

I still feel like I am not reaching the full potential of my powerstroke.  It has zero mods, other than the 6637 Intake filter.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It sounds like a good deal,  but I personally don't trust used mechanical car parts going into my vehicles.

I still feel like I am not reaching the full potential of my powerstroke.  It has zero mods, other than the 6637 Intake filter.  

Outside of a 3inch downpipe, and straighted 4 or 5 inch exhaust that is the number one best mod to do. It really should be the first thing done. When I got my truck it had the stock airbox and of course k and n stickers. I got a screaming deal on the truck, but still anticipated a dusted turbo. The engine bay was dirty as hell filled with dirt, and oil soaked intercooler pipes and boots. The interior had seat covers holding mint seats underneath, so I spent 4-5 hours cutting the seatcovers off, and cleaning the interior from top to bottom. The door latches were hard to open on the front, so I sprayed the piss out of them with wd40 and then now function flawlessly.

I also sprayed the engine bay (covered all the important stuff) with engine degreaser and used water to wash the oil and dirt off. I then wiped everything I could down and did it again, and then wiped everything off with a towel. I opened the air box and found the k and n to be dirty as hell. I aired it out and still found it dirty as hell. I then immediatly did a 6637 mod after evaluating my turbo and it didn't appear dusted, or too bad if it was dusted a bit.

I also cleaned the fpr screen and found 1/8 or so of gunk. Runs better after that. I am getting 15.5 mpg with a nearly 9k (maybe over) pound truck so I am not complaining, after having a 6cly, 4x2, 5spd dodge get 13 max, and a 84 ford 460 get 8 or less. It does help that I purloin my families freddies points as they don't use them. Getting diesel for $2.89 a gallon, up to 35 gallons you can't beat that.

I'm really on the fence here, as I may have stage 1 injectors already. They could be stock and never ever been replaced. I simply don't know. I know this dudes injectors are good as they were brand new when he purchased them and they work good in his truck. I guess he wants to go back to stock so he can use the funds to buy an ar. So my course of action right now, is to pull the drivers valve cover and do glowplugs while I decide if I should complete the deal. I figure I can pull one injector and see if there is anyway I can tell what I have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top