Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 8:46:42 PM EDT
7 Jan 1912 - 29 Sep 1988

Share your favorites.  (I may post a few more things later.)

"Death ray, fiddlesticks!  Why, it doesn't even slow them up."

"Are you unhappy, darling?"
"Oh, yes, yes!  Completely."

"It's the children, darling, back from camp"

The New Addams Family
For those who aren't familiar with it, this was a (Canadian?) show that aired on Fox Family in the late 1990s.  Although it didn't seem to gain much popularity, it was done as well as might be expected.  It wasn't ruined by MC Hammer songs and was much better than the Munsters remakes (but that's not saying much).  In fact, despite its flaws,  the series actually had several good moments.  This clip has jokes about killing each other (1:10, 9:27), vermin, leprosy, etc.––fairly dark for a children's show.  

Wednesday had some especially good lines:  in one episode, she says, "I find when polling the voters, it's best to use a sharp stick" (while holding a pike).  Morbid double-entendres like that were something of a theme for her character and Nicole Fugere delivered them well in a dark deadpan.  

Also in this episode, "Great Grandpa Addams" in the form of John Astin comes to visit.  IIRC John Astin had seen Glenn Taranto perform on stage, met him, and thought he would make an excellent Gomez if there was ever an Addams Family remake.  A few years later he had that opportunity.  Watch their relationship at 5:10.

Charles Addams was also a collector of medieval weaponry, particularly crossbows IIRC.

I hope you will find this thread to be, as Gomez would say,  "a capital idea!"

(Some trouble with one of the sources, so if you get a red "x", just try refreshing and it might work.)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumping to share cartoons and video.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Loved the show, and just saw the Google logo.

'Tish.  mmmmm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I see what you want...

For this post, I give you a tribute to Moriticia Addams.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived on the same street as him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I lived on the same street as him.

Any stories or just a coincidence?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a coincidence, I never met him. He was old at the time and I just moved into town.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Great cartoonist.

I wish that more people knew where the show and movies came from.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I love CA's stuff.  I think my favorite (A New Yorker cartoon) was one where Fester is in the shower and his options are COLD/HOT/SCALDING

He led me down the path to Gahan Wilson as a youngster in the early 70's too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Eeeeexcellent.  I recognize some of his work, but now I have a name.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love CA's stuff.  I think my favorite (A New Yorker cartoon) was one where Fester is in the shower and his options are COLD/HOT/SCALDING

Sounds like a gateway comic to me

I forgot all about Gahan Wilson, off  to Google...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eeeeexcellent.  I recognize some of his work, but now I have a name.  Thank you.

Same here

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top