Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 3:04:38 PM EDT
I'm ashamed to say, I can't make a pizza crust that tastes good

No matter what I try, it just taste's bland and like dough. Nothing seems to improve it.

For baking, I turn the oven to its hottest (450) and cook the pizza on a preheated stone until its golden brown. I know a hotter oven would help, but that's not in the cards

So what's your technique for good pizza crust? and what's your recipe for making it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
do you brush it with olive oil?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you using enough salt in the dough?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Stuff the crust with cheese to make what they call the stuff crust.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Ok something I'm not stupid on.. here you go

4c Flour
          1/4c Sugar ( more or less for sweeter or less sweet taste )
          or 4 Tbs Honey.            ( I prefer sugar)
3 Tbs Oil
1 tsp salt
1 package dry yeast ( or 2 1/4 tsp if bulk packed)
1 to 1 1/2 c water

Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl . add oil and honey ( if using). in a smaller bowl add 1c of warm water and add yeast. let yeast sit for a few min until it activates. add to the dry ingredients and mix until you have your dough. adding some more water or flour may be required depending on how wet/dry the mixture is. it shouldnt be real sticky but should be in multiple clumps either..

at this point you can do one of 2 things.. let it rise for about an hour in a warm place or, with this recipe you can cook it right away.

take the dough and either cut into smaller amounts per the size of the pan you have and stretch over your pizza pan or stretch it on your stone.

preheat oven 425 deg. then cook crust for 3-5 min until it is lightly cooked ( you will see the difference in the dough plus it will puff up slightly. )

pull it out and top as desired.. cook at 425 for 8-12 min ( depending on oven) let rest once you pull it out and enjoy.

pics I have posted a wile back..

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ok something I'm not stupid on.. here you go
4c Flour

1/4c Sugar ( more or less for sweeter or less sweet taste )

or 4 Tbs Honey.            ( I prefer sugar)

3 Tbs Oil

1 tsp salt

1 package dry yeast ( or 2 1/4 tsp if bulk packed)

1 to 1 1/2 c water
Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl . add oil and honey ( if using). in a smaller bowl add 1c of warm water and add yeast. let yeast sit for a few min until it activates. add to the dry ingredients and mix until you have your dough. adding some more water or flour may be required depending on how wet/dry the mixture is. it shouldnt be real sticky but should be in multiple clumps either..

at this point you can do one of 2 things.. let it rise for about an hour in a warm place or, with this recipe you can cook it right away.

take the dough and either cut into smaller amounts per the size of the pan you have and stretch over your pizza pan or stretch it on your stone.

preheat oven 425 deg. then cook crust for 3-5 min until it is lightly cooked ( you will see the difference in the dough plus it will puff up slightly. )

pull it out and top as desired.. cook at 425 for 8-12 min ( depending on oven) let rest once you pull it out and enjoy.

pics I have posted a wile back..

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0079.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0080.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0081-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0082-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0083.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0084-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0087-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/kakams1071/100_0091-1.jpg

10/10

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a gas oven.  I put in a couple of bricks in the oven on the middle rack to act as heat sinks (reduces thermal cycling).  

Put in a steam pan and add a couple of glasses of hot water in when you put the pizza in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to brush the crust prior to topping it with an egg white wash for a nice crunchy crust.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use this stuff from Trader Joes

Sometimes I'll brush around the edge with olive oil or garlic butter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave up on making dough a long time ago.

I simply use frozen bread dough, brushed with olive oil and dusted with corn meal.

No muss, no fuss, and it tastes fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the good eats method.  Tastes great.  Also some times I experiment by putting a little bit of pesto or cheese in with the dough and it is a nice change up.

ETA: damn, 34 seconds
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My guess as well, or better yet, use parmesan cheese, it has plenty of salt, plus a ton of flavor.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like to brush the crust prior to topping it with an egg white wash for a nice crunchy crust.

I've tried this, as well as brushing with olive oil

The olive oil gave it better flavor, but it still was doughy
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess as well, or better yet, use parmesan cheese, it has plenty of salt, plus a ton of flavor.

I use as much as the recipe calls for (dont have it in front of me sadly). I'll try adding more incrementally each time I try
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a gas oven.  I put in a couple of bricks in the oven on the middle rack to act as heat sinks (reduces thermal cycling).  

Put in a steam pan and add a couple of glasses of hot water in when you put the pizza in.

Wouldn't the steam make the crust soggy?

The bricks are a good idea though
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've tried this, as well as brushing with olive oil

The olive oil gave it better flavor, but it still was doughy

450 should be plenty hot with a stone.  

How long are you leaving it in there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
My crust recipe:

1C Water

3C Flour (more or less, varies with humidity, etc.)

Yeast

Sometimes I add some dried oregano to the crust.  If I'm in a hurry, a pinch of sugar (a literal pinch) helps the dough rise a little faster.  I don't add any salt, it makes the dough tougher.

I don't really want a particularly strong flavor from the crust.

I make two crusts from that recipe, and they're really thin.  I'm not trying to make pan pizza here.

I bake my pizza at 500 degrees on a preheated stone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I also like the AB method, particularly the overnight rise.  Seems like it has deeper flavor from letting the wee beast yeasties do their thing for longer.  I use just a bit less kosher salt than what he calls for, though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the best things you can do to improve the flavor so that it doesn't taste like fresh yeast and flour, is to make it the day before and let it proof in the fridge.  The difference is quite remarkable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
This no knead dough is pretty good tasting, and easy to make, but is kinda hard to work with:

No knead pizza dough.

Also, check out the AR15.com of pizza making:

Pizzamaking.com
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I also like the AB method, particularly the overnight rise.  Seems like it has deeper flavor from letting the wee beast yeasties do their thing for longer.  I use just a bit less kosher salt than what he calls for, though.

THIS - TIME FOR THE YEAST TO DEVELOP FLAVOR. 24-48 HRS
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS - TIME FOR THE YEAST TO DEVELOP FLAVOR. 24-48 HRS

Huh. I never thought of that. I'll have to give it a shot
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I brush the crust with olive oil and bake it with no toppings for about 10 minutes take it out top and cook until all the cheese is melted.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I brush the crust with olive oil and bake it with no toppings for about 10 minutes take it out top and cook until all the cheese is melted.

I tried this once and ended up with a burnt crust. I'll have to try again, maybe with it further away from the heat source

I still ate it though
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have the patience for scratch dough. I get the $6 pepperoni pie at the store and add my own fixens.

Mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, jalapenos, sausage, and top with more mozzarella.

I like it and it's pretty quick, actually better than the better pizza's we can get in town.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This no knead dough is pretty good tasting, and easy to make, but is kinda hard to work with:

No knead pizza dough.

Also, check out the AR15.com of pizza making:

Pizzamaking.com

I came to post this link. pizzamaking

Check it out spend a few weeks reading. If you don't learn anything i'll punch myself in the face.

If you don't find it http://tools.foodsim.com/
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]
You might try more cooking time and less heat. I do my thin crust at 400 for about 17 min on a stone and it gets golden brown on the bottom. I'm also at 6000ft elevation so your results may vary.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I gave up on making dough a long time ago.

I simply use frozen bread dough, brushed with olive oil and dusted with corn meal.

No muss, no fuss, and it tastes fine.

What if I told you that I have a very simple and straightforward recipe from a multiple European and World champion...a recipe which works each and every time?

Seriously though, I tried making Pizza for years and years...Was never how I wanted it to be.

So one day I was reading a Newspaper and I found this recipe by Daniele Sangrigoli:

1kg Flour, 5g yeast or 10g dry yeast, 1 dash of olive oil, 0.5 l of cold water, 1 dl Milk, salt.

You mix the water and oil first, add Milk, Salt, Flour and finally yeast.

Let it rest 2 hours at room temperature and 5 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Basta!

BTW there's a Physicist at some Uni in Vienna (forgot which one) who researches Pizza making, no joke. He developed a technique using water to replicate a Pizza oven made of stone, to make Pizza at home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I add garlic salt and onion powder to the dough to fix what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Used to have the same problem. The taste described comes from too much flour. Firstly, be sure to sift flour or at least work it with a fork for a bit before measuring - helps a lot. Without sifting you are adding an undetermined amount of extra flour. Importantly add flour sparingly when kneading, more olive oil (helluva lot more than the recipe calls for), little more sugar, little more salt. Rather than hot water, use ice cold water and put in fridge to rise (which it really won't do too much of, seems to be better. Very stretchy) - for some reason that helps give it that NYC style crisp yet flexible pizza crust. Hotter the oven the better (for most of us w/o commercial ovens 450 is about it), I ditched the unpredictable stone and went with a full size cookie sheet, that helped the crust too (sprinkle sheet with salt / seasoning for extra taste).

Have fun!

Edit - forgot, let it sit in fridge for at least 24hrs before using. When you get it right, make big batches and freeze the extra. I make enough for about 6 pizzas per batch. Saves a boatload of time in the future.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Real quiche from Lorraine/Lothringen is very good.

But I doubt American Quiche is anything similar, both in terms of taste and who eats it.Seems to be one of those organic, holy foods for leftists...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#38]
You need to add herbs to your crust.
I chop fresh basil, garlic, and oregano and add them to the dough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]

No, he's right, that's not pizza

That's like, a meat cake, or a meat pie, or something...but it ain't pizza.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#40]
mmmm meat cake
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quick tips to tell if you're eating pizza or not -

If you need utensils to eat it, it's not pizza.

If you can't hold it by it's crust, it's not pizza.

The only exception to that is Sicilian-style pizza.

Now I want a Sicilian pepperoni pie, stat. Sigh. Too bad I live about 75 farms away from civilization
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top