Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 2:04:40 PM EDT
I have a close friend who is a 19A 2nd Lt. who will probably be deployed soon to Afghanistan. I was wondering what the legalities are of bringing back firearm components. Specifically, I have a MAK 90 and from what I understand Chinese type 56 AK's are pretty common over there. I really want the spiker front sight base and gas block to convert my MAK back to its original configuration. Would it be possible for him to bring back just these two items or is that not allowed?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
He's so not allowed to do that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

Really, it's that bad huh...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
you and him would soooo go to FPMITAP
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't remember the specific wording, but at them military post offices and airport it calls out everthing forbidden....from dildos to gun parts. He would be exposing himself to UCMJ prosecution if he tried.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
its fucking retarded they cant bring stuff back
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit.

I can't imagine even asking a military officer to do something like that.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit.

I can't imagine even asking a military officer to do something like that.  

Well obviously I'm not going to now. That's why I was asking if it was legal or not. If it wasn't illegal, would it still be a rediculous question? This is my close friend, if it wasn't illegal, he would probably do it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Only the SEALs get to bring back machine guns

Insert .gif of smiley behind brick wall

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only the SEALs get to bring back machine guns

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Gotcha covered, buddy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If hes smart.... I mean realllll smart.  He won't fuck around with it.  Attempting to take weapons parts back is bad juju.  But little shit like a front sight post/gasblock.... theres a good chance it could make it through no problem.  

But... if he's just smart enough to be bad for his own health his best bet would be to just toss it in a tough box in one of his units baggage containers and then get it when the container arrives back in the states.  Having no first hand knowledge on unit deployment procedures or customs operations I can't gurantee this, but rumor is there's a damn good chance it could be gotten away with....  a friend of a friend of a friend might have gotten some war memorabilia back that way.  Tell him to make good friends with his Unit Movement Officer and ask if customs is going to x-ray everyones tough boxes or just look through them. The machine sees all... just saying.  Some units get trained inspectors from neighboring units "Army Pre-Clearance Program", others use the Navy Customs.  Navy customs has all of the high tech gear to snoop through your shit.

Generally Officers don't do shit like that.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If hes smart.... I mean realllll smart.  He won't fuck around with it.  Attempting to take weapons parts back is bad juju.  But little shit like a front sight post/gasblock.... theres a good chance it could make it through no problem.  

But... if he's just smart enough to be bad for his own health his best bet would be to just toss it in a tough box in one of his units baggage containers and then get it when the container arrives back in the states.  Having no first hand knowledge on unit deployment procedures or customs operations I can't gurantee this, but rumor is there's a damn good chance it could be gotten away with....  a friend of a friend of a friend might have gotten some war memorabilia back that way.  Tell him to make good friends with his Unit Movement Officer and ask if customs is going to x-ray everyones tough boxes or just look through them. The machine sees all... just saying.  Some units get trained inspectors from neighboring units "Army Pre-Clearance Program", others use the Navy Customs.  Navy customs has all of the high tech gear to snoop through your shit.

Generally Officers don't do shit like that.  

It depends what type of unit it is as to whether a good search can be done.  A maintenance company for instance has thousands of tools, hundreds of tool boxes, hundreds if not thousands of other items.   A weapon or parts of weapons could easily be hidden amongst all of them and the chances of getting caught are next to nil.  I am not advocating this but it can be done easily depending on what type of unit it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top