Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 1:19:06 PM EDT
Well, today was supposed to be my first day back to work after 6 months out on medical/recovery and no income on my part. Doc gave me the all clear to go back to work today on my last appointment last week. My wife used up almost all her FMLA time and PTO taking care of me during that time.

Then my wife got a phonecall Monday, her dad was in the ICU with excacerbated COPD so we had to go and take care of some business. She stayed behind to get him squared away on his release and I came home to get ready for work. So, she is now under 2 weeks of FMLA and under a couple days woth of PTO.

I told her that as soon as I got back to work, she could quit her job if she really wanted to (The Woman is tired folks, tired and stressed and trying to keep it together) or at least move into a part time position. I also said we would take any vacation she wanted in a year since we'd both have time saved up, etc.

I got a call from work yesterday, things got real slow it seems. I got laid off via a phonecall the day before I was scheduled to be back to work

We don't know whether to rage, sob, or just fucking laugh hysterically.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the company you worked for found a way to get rid of you as soon as you got off FMLA and it was probably planned months ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like the company you worked for found a way to get rid of you as soon as you got off FMLA and it was probably planned months ago.

It's a possibility that has crossed my mind even before I received the call. However, they did state they have a couple positions opening up due to retirement within a month or two in QA and asked if I would be intersted. I said I would be and they said they would call when they got word on filling the positions. In fact, they said they'd let me know if they found anything that they could bring me back in for...

While I appreciate that and all, I just find it hard to fill a dinner plate with good intentions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks OP, you will find a way though, there's always another job. I am also waiting for the word that my job is done...rumors flying, massive reorganization going on...a most depressing week.
You are not alone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I just submitted an unemployment claim today. I'll have to start looking around and see if anyone is hiring, though I doubt anyone is within a doable commute distance. I won't even get my full UE payment because I've been out sick so long.

My previous employer is closing their doors by the end of this month and the one before that has just laid off a bunch of people as well. I've heard tell of a place hiring that I worked for some 15 years ago, but they changed and they do that now. Hire in a whole new workforce, and get rid of them all within a year or two after running people into the dirt. That's the rumor anyway, guess I'll have to see next week.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My thoughts are with you.  I just started my new gig on 11/28 after a long period of unemployment.  I wish I had something constructive to say, but all I have is fight the good fight.  Hang in there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
At least you got a phone call. I was terminated by letter while out for a herniated disc and I was still under a Doc's care. I even had an appointment on the Monday after I got the letter on Friday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes life plays out like a bad script from a sitcom or something.

Oddly enough, I think I've been in worse straights before as far as being out of a job. I'm not sure though because to be honest I wasn't really expecting this. I had the idea it might happen cross my mind, sure...but maybe it was just denial or delusion or avoidance or whatever the term is that I didn't keep a finger on the industry pulse. I really have not got much idea about how it is right now.

On the upside, nickel ante poker night just became alot easier to schedule
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
And the news is reporting that unemployment is down..

I hope everything works out for you in the next few days man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll get through it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, we'll be okay, it's just one of those things where it's just full of fffuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top