Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 11:31:45 AM EDT
Yes there has been a lot of bad blood with Cuba. I grew up in Fla and remember the 'duck and cover' drills but consider this. Iran, Venezuala, China and Russia are or wil be talking to Cuba.  I say we should open Cuba to full diplomatic relations with the US. It would be infinately better to have them as a friend than an enemy. Consider this.....

1)1957 Castro came to D.C to play baseball with the Washington Senators but was rejected. He went back to Cuba and ....well see what happend?
2)The Cuban Missle Crisis was 50 yrs ago. Pearl Harbor was 70 yrs ago.  Now Japan is our ally and they went to war against us.  Cuba never did.
3)Many immigrants have family still in Cuba.
4)Most other coutries have travel and trade with Cuba to NO ill effect.
5) Hemmingways, Romeo & Juliets, Cohibas

What say You?  
Poll incoming
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
ibtp

but yes... open her up... it is stupid, short sighted, a kneejerk reaction and one of the last things leftover from that sorry son of a bitch that tried to play big boy games with the mob.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think Fidel wants it. The embargo plays right into his rhetoric.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It's gonna happen in the next 20 years.  Cuban/Americans can already go there as of last year.

ETA: It would be a good thing, they would buy a lot more from us then we will from them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.   Capitalism is the cure for Communism.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree....one of the best reason yet!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yup, It would have happened a long time ago if Fidel had wanted it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree....one of the best reason yet!

Send in consumers! Communism will fall by the wayside
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It is blatantly stupid to still have the embargo
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Stogies...we need them. Open it up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Build a Wal-Mart in the center of Havana.

As stated above, capitalism is the cure for communism.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Cigars, man. Cigars.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cigars, man. Cigars.

Amen Brother

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stogies...we need them. Open it up.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
there are something like 7 daily flights to Cuba from the U.S, Anyone can go to cuba if they want to jump through some minor hoops..

The embargo is not the problem.

The problem is the Cuban Regime which is not the Chinese Regime or Even Venezuela, they are more like North Korea.

The money and goods goes to the castro bro's 1st and then it goes to the cuban people.

Things are slowly changing, and the regime has changed, they are allowing, private businesses to form, they are trying to pursue private investment.

When the time is right the embargo will go.

If you do visit cuba just remember, the cuban people are kept cattle, the children are property of the state. They are not allowed into the tourist areas, and they are not allowed to speak freely in any way.  Get them alone they will tell you the truth, but even there are alot of brainwashed people who after 50 years of brain washing still believe Castro is the man.

Until Castro and his cronies are dead, I am not setting foot there unless I am going with a one way ticket and no plans of getting out.

Too many family members who spent time in jail or paid the ultimate price simply because they wanted what we take for granted every day here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cigars, man. Cigars.

Amen Brother

Meh..Cuba can't handle the current demand now.

You guys will only be enjoying the new legal nectar for a brief moment and go back to your regular brands...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I would love to go there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I never understood what the "embargo" was supposed to accomplish.

So yes let me get my fav smokes legally!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#20]
All embargoes like the one against Cuba does is increase the isolation of those countries.  And when the country is more isolated the government becomes stronger as the people are forced to rely on government more for their needs.  It's stupid, it has the exact opposite of the intended effect.

Open up trade with Cuba to embrace openess, and they will no longer be a "commy" state.  Look at China at Vietnam now, former straight up communist states and now they have economies on the rise.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think you are right.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

All embargoes like the one against Cuba does is increase the isolation of those countries.  And when the country is more isolated the government becomes stronger as the people are forced to rely on government more for their needs.  It's stupid, it has the exact opposite of the intended effect.

Open up trade with Cuba to embrace openess, and they will no longer be a "commy" state.  Look at China at Vietnam now, former straight up communist states and now they have economies on the rise.

China's economy might be kicking ass, but the people are not.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I have heard from Canadians that the scuba diving there is pretty good. I would like to try that someday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct.

They are open to trade with every other country on the planet but yet blame all their problems on us.

And if it was open they know we would use our traditional form of colonization and cover them in McDonalds until they were begging to hold open elections.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
They better get crackin'.

I google mapped all over that island and did not see a single golf course.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Open it up I guess, but I'm not going there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He's dead ain't he?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell yes!  The embargo has been a complete and utter failure.  Castro is now on his tenth US President.  Flood that place with Pepsi, Budwieser, baseball, used cars and McDonalds.  The regime would collapse within weeks.  

The only thing keeping the embargo alive is South Florida politics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hell yes!  The embargo has been a complete and utter failure.  Castro is now on his tenth US President.  Flood that place with Pepsi, Budwieser, baseball, used cars and McDonalds.  The regime would collapse within weeks.  

Plus the dirty secret is there are already American brands in Cuba via their global subsidiaries.  

They can't flood that place with Pepsi, Mcdonalds, anymore than you can flood hati with it.

Cuban people aint got money.

The only people with money are the tourists, the toursits areas are 3rd world hotels for the low end German and Canadian tourists.  They dont give crap about Mcdonalds, they want to eat the stolen UN and US Aid food that goes to cuban hotels.

The embargo is an illusion, the problem is the Castro boys.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I would like to go there and buy up all the old cars from the 50's ...bring them back to the US restore them and put them on the Mecams or Jacksons auction. Think I could retire early
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I would like to go there and buy up all the old cars from the 50's ...bring them back to the US restore them and put them on the Mecams or Jacksons auction. Think I could retire early

You could do that today. Just get get Castro to sign off on it

Vintage cars in Cuba are considered as National Patrimony and can no be sold and exported without a Governmental license. Cubans too need a permit to buy or own a car. It's the same with the export of natural resources, tropical fish, paintings and art pieces, etc.

Its quite the motherload

Cuba’s Ministry of Interior reported in 2003 that 31,760 pre-1959 American passenger cars were registered, down sharply from the 37,680 vintage cars registered in 2001. The total of passengers cars was about 192,000, he said.

About half of the old American vehicles on Cuba’s streets are from the 1950s, with Chevrolets more numerous than any other make. Another 25 percent are from the 1940s, with the remainder from the 1930s.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vintage cars in Cuba are considered as National Patrimony and can no be sold and exported without a Governmental license. Cubans too need a permit to buy or own a car. It's the same with the export of natural resources, tropical fish, paintings and art pieces, etc.

Its quite the motherload

Cuba’s Ministry of Interior reported in 2003 that 31,760 pre-1959 American passenger cars were registered, down sharply from the 37,680 vintage cars registered in 2001. The total of passengers cars was about 192,000, he said.

About half of the old American vehicles on Cuba’s streets are from the 1950s, with Chevrolets more numerous than any other make. Another 25 percent are from the 1940s, with the remainder from the 1930s.

Didnt know that.  Wonder if he would take a couple of Ford Festivas in trade

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+1

The Cuban political families that fled Cuba came to South FL and became politicians here. A lot of self interest involved with politicians here looking like they're taking a strong stance against Castro by keeping the embargo alive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
IMHO the restrictions are retarded.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Open it up. Let the resident Cubans see thousands of Americans up close and personal and figure out for themselves that all the stuff Fidel told them for 50 years is BS.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#36]
nope, not until they lose the whole communism gig.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd be curious to hear what folks of Cuban descent have to say about it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It is blatantly stupid to still have the embargo

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Communism,  a perfect way to keep hookers thin.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]
If we'd had pushed our pop culture on them from the beginning they wouldn't have lasted 10 years. We should have gave them our music, food and movies for free back in the '70's, it would have destabilized Castro/communism faster and more completely than any embargo could have... plus they would still be able to make a decent cigar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I say we invade them, make it another territory
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its quite the motherload

Didnt know that.  Wonder if he would take a couple of Ford Festivas in trade

No shit.  You lay down s big stack of Benjamins and they change their minds
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd be on one of the first flights/boats over there I heard it was a beautiful place with a bunch of good dive spots. I heard the locals were good looking too
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#44]
The embargo should have been lifted 40 years ago, the best way to get rid of a commie regime is let the phesants

see what good old capitolism does for the lower classes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top