Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 11:27:23 AM EDT
Went to fill up the Challenger today and noticed a new advertising campaign for the E-85 pump. Is it my imagination or does it look like hope and change?

Here is the corn guzzler.

Corn Fed
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pepsi, mistah.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
your imagination has run rampant with derp
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Why is E85 a minimum of 70% ethanol? I thought the whole point of the 85 was 85%?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Obama is watching you poop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is E85 a minimum of 70% ethanol? I thought the whole point of the 85 was 85%?

Kharn

Well, if they'd take the fucking 10% ethanol out of my gas and put it in the 70% E85 to make 80% E85, the world would be a better place, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kharn

They have "winter blends" that are less than 85% from what I remember.

I agree that they should take the 10% out of what they're calling gasoline and put it on ethanol. I'd much rather have 100 octane unleaded available instead of E85.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Im debating on switching the wrx to e85.  We just don't have that many stations around. Maybe get me a tank for the garage lol.

Is that the twin turbo challenger that had a build thread around here somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Obama is watching your pooper.

Fixt.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I like E85.

I used to run it in my high compression all motor setup in my civic. 105 octane at the pump for $2.35 when I was buying it.

If there were more stations around I would run it now, but it got to be a pain trying to plan to go out of the way to get fuel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kharn

Winter blending for better cold starting are higher gasoline content. Alcohol fuels do not like to ignite as easily in a cold engine with cold temps.

ETA. A block heater would also fix hard starting in cold weather with high alcohol content fuels but not a lot of flex fuel cars have block heaters, nor would be it be convient or even possible to use one all the time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Obama is watching you poop.

How do you know that the president watched the videos on my blog?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
enterprise car rental, the choice of a new generation
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I agree that they should take the 10% out of what they're calling gasoline and put it on ethanol. I'd much rather have 100 octane unleaded available instead of E85.

Why?  Your vehicle is tuned to run on what you can get.  It won't run better on higher octane unless you raise the compression to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Why?  Your vehicle is tuned to run on what you can get.  It won't run better on higher octane unless you raise the compression to take advantage of it.

My car is actually tuned to run on 93 octane (10% ethanol blend) an also on 104 octane through dual mapping. The 104 used to be available here, but not anymore. I'd rather have 100 octane, 104, or even 116. Just something other than ethanol and your standard "pump gas" crap. I make 330 AWHP on E10 gas and 370 AWHP on 104 octane.

What's your car "tuned" for?

So why shouldn't I want a better blend of gas?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

With a moniker name of "BOOST", he's probably not running a factory tune in his car.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

My car is actually tuned to run on 93 octane (10% ethanol blend) an also on 104 octane through dual mapping. The 104 used to be available here, but not anymore. I'd rather have 100 octane, 104, or even 116. Just something other than ethanol and your standard "pump gas" crap. I make 330 AWHP on E10 gas and 370 AWHP on 104 octane.

As the poster above me pointed out, I should have noticed your username.  Most people assume that higher octane automatically means better performance under any circumstances.  That's the way the fuel companies market it, but really, as I'm sure you know, it only allows for higher performance through compression, which you achieve through boost.  The average car might not even run on 100 octane.  

As for better blends, I quite agree.  A few years ago, I drove a Lincoln LS, and ran BP gas.  All of the sudden my mileage dropped by 3 or 4 mpg.  They had started buying gas from, I believe, Chevron.  I started hunting for better, and after trying all other major brands, I found that I got significantly better mileage and performance with Shell.  In fact, the mileage more than compensated for the higher price.  Occasionally, they advertise the fact, "get higher mileage with Shell", and it's truth.  YMMV  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pepsi, mistah.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

You can run any kind of fuel you desire. Why should I be made to use something that is not needed in my beater, gets worse fuel mileage, doesn't run as well and forces me to pay higher prices when I purchase food?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit.  $2.89/ gallon?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A gallon of ethanol wont carry your car as far as a gallon of gasoline. Hence the lower price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't let that fool you. Your typical Flex fuel vehicle will see a 20-30% reduction in fuel economy. My SRT only gets 7mpg so I don't really care. I use the E85 to protect the 22pounds of boost I run.

Some comparisons to ponder.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Crony capitalism at work.

Many leftists are heavily invested in "green" industry.

But those industries are not competitive in the marketplace.

So the leftists investors have their leftist political buddies pass laws mandating the public use the non-competitive "green" product, under penalty of law.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a plot against republicans.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Any word on what ethanol prices are set to do now that some of the subsidies have been allowed to die?

Particularly if they'll stop putting that shit in my gasoline? It's great for boosted engines, high-compression N/A, etc, but it fucking SUCKS for N/A street cars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A gallon of ethanol wont carry your car as far as a gallon of gasoline. Government subsidy.  Hence the lower price.

fify
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A gallon of ethanol wont carry your car as far as a gallon of gasoline. Hence the lower price.

I realoze that.  But around here its ztill rinning $3.10/ gal.

Fucking 87 gas is rinning $3.50/ gal.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realoze that.  But around here its ztill rinning $3.10/ gal.

Fucking 87 gas is rinning $3.50/ gal.

Thats crazy? e-85 is usually .30 cheaper than 87 around here, so 87 is around 3.19 right now.

Diesel is 3.79 though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#30]
To bad Obama was still peddling crack in Chicago when they came up with the great ideal to take corn and burn it in our tanks

And what the fuck is E10 its the only bio-fuel my V10 will take, never seen anyone selling it
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To bad Obama was still peddling crack in Chicago when they came up with the great ideal to take corn and burn it in our tanks

And what the fuck is E10 its the only bio-fuel my V10 will take, never seen anyone selling it

Almost all fuel in the US is at least E10 now. 10% blend with ethanol. Basically crap. E15 is coming.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Im debating on switching the wrx to e85.  We just don't have that many stations around. Maybe get me a tank for the garage lol.

Is that the twin turbo challenger that had a build thread around here somewhere?

i have a 2003 wrx converted to run on e85 (i can switch the tune to run 93 octane, i can even run it on a partial mixture). on e85 in get around 300 to the wheels on a dyno on a 2.0l motor.

i upgraded the injectors, up pipe, downpipe, turbo back and went with a evoII16g turbo (slighly larger stock location unit) and a bigger top mount intercooler.

if i wanted the same HP from gas, i'd have to pay around 10 bucks a gallon.

its dumb for flex fuel vehicles though since it reduces mileage without the benefit of significantly more hp. supercharged or turbocharged vehicles can benefit big time from e85. it would be a no brainer to get 1000 hp out of the new GT500 that is coming out this spring.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The fun part is it cost about $6 to make it.  

Too bad we don't have sugar beet farmers lobbying congress, it puts out 10 times the ethanol that corn does.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yup, this is the one. 1086rwhp/1071rwtq. 426 Twin Turbo running 22psi. She is very thirsty.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, this is the one. 1086rwhp/1071rwtq. 426 Twin Turbo running 22psi. She is very thirsty.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/SRT8/DSCF1022-2.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/SRT8/DSCF1012.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/SRT8/DSCF1008.jpg

Win
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#36]
A cross between the Obama logo and the Euro symbol?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#37]
It is obviously a crescent, and proof the Caliphate is at hand.  Note also the abundant use of green, the traditional color of Islam.

Wait for the sign, and our prisoners will be released.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad we don't have sugar beet farmers lobbying congress, it puts out 10 times the ethanol that corn does.

The Brazilians are hard at work in Florida creating custom crops to this end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#39]
The real question is why are you driving a Challenger.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
As opposed to a what? I have a Ford, 3 Dodge and a Chevy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Momentary rant on the topic of Ethanol fuels.

I have come to prefer E85 but I think the prices of it are bull****. Right now it is 3$ a gallon for E85 out here. They keep working it up as standard gasoline prices move up and with such a little portion of actual gasoline I am annoyed how they can raise it at anywhere near the rate of standard unleaded gasolines.

Rant aside. I really like it in my non daily, as opposed to the 110 or 112 leaded fuel I was running @ 7+$ a gallon for, it is a nice alternative and being alcohol it gives a bit of a chemical intercooling effect dropping IATS, reduced combustion temps, and makes more power. It cost me money because of the added fuel volume needed to go this route and since I was on the verge with my fuel system already (now I run 3 fuel pumps and ID2000 injectors) but will return that money to me in fuel costs in a year. I test the blend though to make sure it is consistant, although the management I use can do some correction, I like to know what exactly the blend is. Piece of mind when making upward of 600 whp / 500 wtrq with putting 31# of boost (6265 billet) through a 2.3 liter 4 cyl putting around the streets.

For the regular production flex fuel car, I think it is less than convient... really you are just reducing emissions more than anything with maybe a small increase in power (most flex fuel cars wil run a slight bit more timing with E85). The reduced cost is offset by the increased consumption required so that is a moot point. For a performance car that can take advantage of the cooler burning higher octane fuel, well it is great alternative to unleaded/ leaded race fuels. Albiet intially you will have to make a small investment in tuning, changing to a stainless element fuel filter, and in some cases fuel system upgrades to increase fuel supply.

Oh and sorry to stray from the OP's topic. On that topic, the E85 logo here does not look like the 'hope and change' tribute. Nice Challenger btw, hell of a build you have.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have a 2003 wrx converted to run on e85 (i can switch the tune to run 93 octane, i can even run it on a partial mixture). on e85 in get around 300 to the wheels on a dyno on a 2.0l motor.

i upgraded the injectors, up pipe, downpipe, turbo back and went with a evoII16g turbo (slighly larger stock location unit) and a bigger top mount intercooler.

if i wanted the same HP from gas, i'd have to pay around 10 bucks a gallon.

its dumb for flex fuel vehicles though since it reduces mileage without the benefit of significantly more hp. supercharged or turbocharged vehicles can benefit big time from e85. it would be a no brainer to get 1000 hp out of the new GT500 that is coming out this spring.

07 wrx vf39 down pipe, exhaust, intake, sti intercooler, and good tune.  Made 286hp 312tq lol.  Its in the shop tho for some motor issues fml...  it was that way when we bought it tho so Idk.

Now back to challenger that thing is nasty lol.  Any 1/4 times?  Or can it even hook up with that hp and tq?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Brazilians are hard at work in Florida creating custom crops to this end.

Our government is going to let them undermine CORN?  Oh, yea, I forgot who's the number one investor in Petrobras.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top