Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 10:44:23 AM EDT
Currently in the hospital for this since 8:00pm yesterday.

Started feeling an odd pressure in my upper gut in the morning, by 2:00 I was pretty much out of commission. The pressure had changed to extreme pain; felt like a hot coal stuck in my gut. I was pretty lethargic, having labored breathing, and vomiting bile every 15 minutes - couldn't even keep water down. Called my Gastro Doc, and he pretty much told me to get to the ER.

They've been giving me Dilaudid and an anti-nausea medication over an IV. Helps immensely, but the docs are going to keep me here another night.

According the the interwebs, 80% of all cases of this are caused by alcohol - I drink, but very rarely these days, the doc thinks that my Crohn's disease contributed to it, and along with all the medications I take for that caused this to flare up.

Anyone else here have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Most cases are due to alcohol or gallstones, of course you might not fall into either group. Make sure they check for gallstones.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most cases are due to alcohol or gallstones, of course you might not fall into either group. Make sure they check for gallstones.  

Correct.

Gallstones
Ethanol
Trauma
Steroids
Mumps
Autoimmune (PAN)
Scorpion stings
Hyperlipidemia/ Hypercalcemia
ERCP
Drugs (including azathioprine and diuretics)

I learned the old BEER VOMITUS Mnemonic when I was a student. Couldn't remember them all now though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My father was in the ICU for six months with it. At one point we had a meeting with the docs and they said he has about a 5% chance of pulling through.

Pretty much a full recovery. Has to watch his diet because he's borderline diabetic and the steroids ruined his hips.

ETA. Also racked up $1.5mil in bills.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I had it last summer, I really do or did feel your pain.  Wound up in hospital for 4 days.  Worst pain I have ever felt, I was the literal definition of "writhing in pain."

Further tests show I have micro crystals in my bile, so my prognosis was that it is either that or my high blood pressure meds that caused it.  They changed my meds and my GI doc's recommendation was to do nothing because it is quite possible I will never have another attack.  If I do have another attack, then he recommends removing my gall bladder.

Good luck and get well soon!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They did an ultrasound after the lab result came back, and it was clear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had it last summer, I really do or did feel your pain.  Wound up in hospital for 4 days.  Worst pain I have ever felt, I was the literal definition of "writhing in pain."

Further tests show I have micro crystals in my bile, so my prognosis was that it is either that or my high blood pressure meds that caused it.  They changed my meds and my GI doc's recommendation was to do nothing because it is quite possible I will never have another attack.  If I do have another attack, then he recommends removing my gall bladder.

Good luck and get well soon!

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Two weeks ago my city lost a firefighter to it.  Great guy one day he was fine, the next night he died. Was a sad day here for our emergency services.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My mom got it from gallstones.
Gall bladder came out and left with reduced panc. function.
Essentially a Type II diabetic now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Wife had it, 5 days in ICU. Triglycerides were over 3000. Be sure they check yours. They too often want to dismiss the cause as alcoholism.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My story........

Wednesday evening I started hurting. By 1 AM I was curled into a fetal position and praying I would just die to stop the pain. I was trying to force myself to vomit, just to try and reduce the pain. All I did was dry heave which just made me hurt that much worse. This was easily the worst night of my life.

My family was out of town and I knew I couldnt afford the amberlamps if it wasnt an emergency. I toughed it out until morning.

Thursday I was hurting but not AS bad. I went to the doctor thinking I might be constipated (couldnt remember the last BM). Doc sent me home with laxatives and an enema kit. These items did what they were supposed to do but I was still miserable.

Friday I was back at the doc and he ordered a blood test and mentioned pancreatitis. I was sent home for the weekend. The weekend sucked, HARD. I was in pain all weekend.

By now I had started reading about pancreatitis and had cut my eating way back. Monday the doctor called and said I might have pancreatitis and wanted to do another blood test. Blood was drawn that day.

By Tuesday I was eating and drinking next to nothing in an effort to control the pain. and it seemed to be helping slightly. The doc called and we discussed my pain. He said the bloodwork indicated pancreatitis and sent me in for an ultrasound.

I woke up Wednesday, still in pain, and called the doc to see what the ultrasound results were. He wanted to see me so I went in. He decided to put me in the hospital for treatment.

I checked in early in the afternoon and they got me started on IVs. No food or drink was the order of the day and I was prescribed morphine for pain. I was hurting pretty bad but refused the morphine.

Thursday I was visited by a surgeon who told me that they believe I had passed a gall stone and that was what had set off the pancreatitis. I can only figure that must have occurred on the first night when I was in such agony. The surgeon told me his recommendation was that I have my gall bladder removed. I thought that was extreme for a first occurrence.  Thursday night for dinner they finally let me have liquids. Chicken broth never tasted so good.

Friday morning I was finally virtually pain free. My doctor came in to see me late that morning and he said he was going to let me have real food and that he was going to get me released. Well, somebody got the orders goofed up and I got no lunch at all. My brother showed up to give me a lift home and we sat and waited for the release orders to go through.

About an hour later I finally got to go home and havent had a problem since.

FUCK pancreatitis.

Oh man, there is no way I could have held out as long as you did.

Glad you haven't had a reoccurrence. Thanks for your story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top