Posted: 1/6/2012 10:39:20 AM EDT
Iran?, Obama farted?, what?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The Iranian navy

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The oil companies. They have us by the balls and they want more record profit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
7m3 got a hooker on Tues it sounds like.

Screwed everything up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No. Oil is only up $5/barrel Sherlock. It has been pretty stable for 3 years.

Ethanol subsidy is ending/being changed and Hormuz probably has more to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Retail price is most influenced by the status of pipeline terminal inventory.  Inventory going up means prices dropping.  Inventory going down, prices rise.

Very simple.  With more refined product being exported (due to decreasing demand), inventory will be going down (not that pipeline end terminals actually export, they just compete with dockside export terminals).

You are competing with South America.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]

HOLY SHIT!!!

I used to have one of those!

Came in a cereal box, and you would add baking soda, and it would go all up and down in my bathtub!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Retail price is most influenced by the status of pipeline terminal inventory. Inventory going up means prices dropping. Inventory going down, prices rise.

Very simple. With more refined product being exported (due to decreasing demand), inventory will be going down (not that pipeline end terminals actually export, they just compete with dockside export terminals).

You are competing with South America.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

HOLY SHIT!!!

I used to have one of those!

Came in a cereal box, and you would add baking soda, and it would go all up and down in my bathtub!

I think you mean Baking Powder.

I am quite a bathtub Submariner.

wait.  That didn't come out right.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Still down here....CA....are you looking at EIA site stats or just yer local station prices?

http://205.254.135.7/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html

Supply and price on a national weekly basis, not filtered through your newspaper or TV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
$3.53 around these parts  And my fucking truck needs gas
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

$3.53 around these parts And my fucking truck needs gas

This is why I drive a 5spd Focus. 42mpg save $$$.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]

We're so flush with gas we're exporting it like never before. That seems to suggest that we have more product than demand domestically. Prices should be low, very low. When gas was in shorter supply, prices were actually lower.

So, what's different? Obviously supply/demand isn't the culprit.

Speculation is driving the prices, has been for a long time, but for some reason ARFcommers don't want to hear that.

It's the only constant at play when other factors contradict each other.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That ain't the worst part!  The wife's ride has to have premium damn gas!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We're so flush with gas we're exporting it like never before. That seems to suggest that we have more product than demand domestically. Prices should be low, very low. When gas was in shorter supply, prices were actually lower.

Speculation is driving the prices, has been for a long time, but for some reason ARFcommers don't want to hear that.

Yeah, my Dad lives in Toledo and is always texting me the low gas prices.  He just came down here for a visit and was about our prices.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Gas taxes as well. They keep tacking shit on from the production to the pump, and then blame teh evil corporations.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
$3.00 to $3.15 in a week here.

I guess they were afraid it would go below $3.00 a gallon.

More of that non-existent inflation.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That ain't the worst part! The wife's ride has to have premium damn gas!

If I could get Ethanol free gas I would and be more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Bush and his oil buddies... Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That ain't no fuckin joke.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
the greedy always need more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And who is the zeitgeist this time?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One thing I would agree with is that futures should be 100% cash markets in strategic items but probably not realistic considering the world market situation.....could all countries agree?....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't. They only repealed the subsidies to the ethanol industry. Not the ethanol in our gas. crazy times huh?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't. They only repealed the subsidies to the ethanol industry. Not the ethanol in our gas. crazy times huh?

Some BS I know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Obama.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Went from $3.55 to $3.69 near me. Fucking Bush's fault. the most powerful President ever is still at work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not just the oil companies. I own a very small stake in some wells and I too want to have you by the balls and get more profit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

are you saying that there is a reason behind gas prices? That the people in charge of them and running them are no so filthy rich that they could not need any more money?  This is including the taking care of the company itself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The real reason gas went up............

The "tax credit" vanished Jan. 1st.  The Gov. was "giving back" .10 gal. as an incentive to try to keep pump prices lower.  There is no more small "discount" to gas stations on the fuel tax, so it gets passed back on to the consumer.

For those about to whine that the local gas station is making a killing on them......... average diff. between cost and resale price per gallon is .20 cents.  That .20 profit margin gets eaten up by 4% credit card fees (.146 cents charge by CC company per gallon @ 3.649 ), and the other .054 cents per gallon to cover energy costs to run the pumps, and replacement parts.  End result is your local gas station is doing ood to break even, and they hope you'll come in for a coffee, snack, or drink so they might actually make a little.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Still 2.95 here

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Iran's chest thumping.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#35]
$3.21––->$3.45 since Monday of this week.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you saying that there is a reason behind gas prices? That the people in charge of them and running them are no so filthy rich that they could not need any more money? This is including the taking care of the company itself.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Iran's chest thumping.

That means speculation then, because nothing about Iran's sabre-rattling actually affected anything in any material sense whatsoever.

I just want everyone who chimes into these threads with supply/demand, government regs, taxes, etc. to understand that while they affect the price they don't cause these erratic, nonsensical jumps every time someone farts.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I drive a 2000 F150 with a CNG conversion.  I pay 1.29/Gas Gallon Equivalent.  There are many ways to look at it, but it is sort of like driving a 60-MPG car.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
There are a few here who sound like they are posting from their OWS encampment.  

The markets are an auction, the highest bidder sets the price.  You want a command economy where prices are set on cost plus?  That leads to rationing, lines and empty tanks/pipelines.

Sure, call it speculation but it is far more equitable than rationing.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There are a few here who sound like they are posting from their OWS encampment.  

The markets are an auction, the highest bidder sets the price.  You want a command economy where prices are set on cost plus?  That leads to rationing, lines and empty tanks/pipelines.

Sure, call it speculation but it is far more equitable than rationing.  

This is a discussion about WHY the price is jumping, not the right or wrong of it. Knowing that speculation affects the price isn't demanding that someone stop it

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So.... If Apple Computer had a profit of say... 14% this year, would you be ok with that that?

How about an oil company at 5%....

They re invest enormous amounts into R&D...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So.... If Apple Computer had a profit of say... 14% this year, would you be ok with that that?

How about an oil company at 5%....

They re invest enormous amounts into R&D...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#43]
World war no one would believe me
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#44]
$2.96 here with no variation, not even by a cent, among three gas stations near my home.  For WEEKS.  Very unusual, they normally fluctuate up and down every single day.  But they stayed at 2.96 through christmas and new year's...  and then this week all three jumped up to $3.49.

Before it was $2.96, it had stated around $3.04 for a few weeks of very unusual stable prices.

I don't really understand the odd stability, nor do I understand the sudden jump.  I'd like to put on some tinfoil and theorize, but it would just be a load of crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If they would require speculators to put more than pennies on the dollar for oil contracts we might see more stability.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

here you go

http://www.pure-gas.org/
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bush and his oil buddies... Oh, wait...

Gas was $1.86/gal when bush left office.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Devaluation of the dollar.  Plus the end of ethanol subsidies.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#50]
These are the prices for which wholesalers can buy gasoline futures contracts:

Feb2.7516
Mar-20122.7642s+0.0162
Apr-20122.9003s+0.0216

I can't get the table to paste right, but they (or you) can buy a contract for delivery in Arpil for $2.90/gal.

There is some profit for everyone in the chain, I don't care what anyone says.

But that is not a bad thing, it keeps our outfits running.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top