Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 10:36:40 AM EDT
The video of the Abrams in the mud got me thinking about driving a tank.   I want to do it.   So where in the US can I go drive one?    

My wife is from the UK and she said she grew up near a guy that had tanks that he would let people drive around his farm, so someone somewhere has got to do this in the states.  

I realize that I probably won't be driving an abrams but I'd be happy with most anything.  

I have a soft spot for these guys

oh and I know the first response will probably tell me to go join the service but that time is gone for me and my back is so fucked at this point I doubt they'd want me.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I just play World of Tanks.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Drive A Tank

I posted this thread then found this site, I might have to call them up later

I suppose I should see how much flights will cost me
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Go down to United Rentals and rent a bulldozer for the weekend.

Dunno what to do about a turret, though. Make whirring hydraulic sounds??
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drive A Tank

I posted this thread then found this site, I might have to call them up later

I suppose I should see how much flights will cost me

It looks like fun. They tried to open up the range about 10-12 miles from me, but they got shot down by the neighbors and didn't open.

From their website, some of the package deals:

Packages Available:

Drive Packages include:

"4 Star General's Package"
-2 passengers included
-Introductory tour, history & training
-Drive the Abbott & FV432 APC using periscopes in a combat  driving orientation on scenic wooded course
-Test firing three historic machine guns in our indoor range
-Up to 2 additional spectators- $25.00 each
$499.00 per driver by appointment

"3 Star Lieutenant General's Package"
-Introductory tour, history & training
-Drive the Abbott on the scenic wooded course
-Test fire one historic machine gun
-Up to two passengers, $25 each.

Add a car crush to your thrilling day of tank driving
Single Car Crush:  $499.00

Double the fun  -  Double Car Crush!
Double Car Crush:  $699.00

Helicopter Taxi Service available to and from Minneapolis/St. Paul.
If you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, we also have H-2 limo service available!
Email us for pricing and details: [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
what would they charge to drive it down Pennsylvania avenue
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Minnesota: http://driveatank.com/

Texas:http://www.incredible-adventures.com/texas-tanks.html

I went to the one in Minnesota several years ago when they were just starting up (he told us about the neighbor problems) they didn't have the range or anything then. It wasn't quite as scripted as what they have on the website now. First thing we got to do was shoot his brand spankin new 50 cal semi auto (still had the price tag on it ), this was within like 10 minutes out of the truck. We went around the place, saw his tanks and other misc. military vehciles, drove the APV around a bit, pretty laid back and pretty fun. Nice folks, your basic small town types.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have any skills that might be of use to a reserve armor company in the area?  If there is, there's a way.  

My unit had a contractor build a "mud run" for a charity event.  We took both of the HMFICs of the company on a tour in one of our M1A1s.  They both had a chance to drive the thing under strict supervision.  One got motion sickness sitting inside the turret in the gunners seat.  He had to get up in the loaders hatch for some fresh air.  He had no problem driving, though.      

I even arranged for my bosses at work to do so back when they were helpful in letting me take time off of work for training.  They all had fun starting it up, and driving a tank around the ramp and then turned into pure assholes at work after the event.  I'll never do that again.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
"1812? Sure we can do that! No Problem!"

16 Months Later.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#10]

You are a no-go at this time.  Return to the classroom for a remedial period of AFVID instruction
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you not yet passed your 42nd birthday?  Have you talked to 53 different National Guard recruiters, including the ones in Puerto Rico, Guam, & Washington DC?  How bad do you want to drive a tank?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Go down to United Rentals and rent a bulldozer for the weekend.

Dunno what to do about a turret, though. Make whirring hydraulic sounds??

Rent a Broderson Carry Deck crane then.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunately, tanks are much cheaper in England than than they are here.  Plus the government there, surprisingly, sells them surplus, while here they cut them up or use them for artificial reefs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You are a no-go at this time. Return to the classroom for a remedial period of AFVID instruction

You sir have missed the joke!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a no-go at this time. Return to the classroom for a remedial period of AFVID instruction

You sir have missed the joke!

You shouldn't be joking on the internets.  The internets is very serious business.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The video of the Abrams in the mud got me thinking about driving a tank.   I want to do it.   So where in the US can I go drive one?    

My wife is from the UK and she said she grew up near a guy that had tanks that he would let people drive around his farm, so someone somewhere has got to do this in the states.  

I realize that I probably won't be driving an abrams but I'd be happy with most anything.  

I have a soft spot for these guys
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Stuart_m5a1_cfb_borden.jpg

oh and I know the first response will probably tell me to go join the service but that time is gone for me and my back is so fucked at this point I doubt they'd want me.  

Anywhere you damn well want

but often only once.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Drive A Tank

This is the one I know about.  He's a member on SteelSoldiers.com, a site I frequent quite often.

LC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top