BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:30:50 AM EDT
Title left intact for dupe check.

Video Link

Holy smokes.  Starting up that tank sounds super sexeh!  I don't think I've ever heard one start up before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That mud looks FUN!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]

What a machine !  I'd hate to be the one cleaning that thing up.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Lulz.  Looked like fun.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
holy shit he didn't throw track! now thats a first!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Fly like an E-6.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
hey ya'll, watch this!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

holy shit he didn't throw track! now thats a first!

I was thinking the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I always like seeing the service members having fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course all this armor talk comes when I'm in my Blue to Green window. I want to run the Gunnery Tables.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Of course all this armor talk comes when I'm in my Blue to Green window. I want to run the Gunnery Tables.

well do it..
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss the sound of those starting up. About the only thing I miss about armor units.

We had one get stuck pretty bad in Grafenwoehr. While trying to maneuver out of the mud a drive sprocket sheared and launched 75-100 ft. Pretty impressive sound and light show through NVG's. Lucky no one was hurt or killed by it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well do it..

My wife doesn't want me joining the Army. She's fine with my working aircraft maintenance in the AF.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

well do it..

My wife doesn't want me joining the Army. She's fine with my working aircraft maintenance in the AF.  

well go 45E or what ever it is now.. that was Turret Mech. I thinks its now hull/turret mech. all the fun of armor with out having to live in one. I had a blast doing it.. Except the octopus cable in the test kit.. now that sucked..
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
When the one guy was telling him to neutral steer I practically jumped out of my chair yelling "no, no, no!"
Pretty impressive that he didn't throw a track. I was half expecting to see an M88 by the end. As for cleaning the tank, most of that will come off when they drive it through the bird bath at the wash rack.

Quoted:well go 45E or what ever it is now.. that was Turret Mech. I thinks its now hull/turret mech. all the fun of armor with out having to live in one. I had a blast doing it.. Except the octopus cable in the test kit.. now that sucked..

Don't get me started on STE-M1. My best day as a turret mechanic was the day we got our M1A2s in the 3rd ACR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Almost looks like if you steal one, wouldn't take them long to track you down thru the forest.    Al Gore cries on all the shit ripped up by them.    

Cool video......thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#18]
besides the whole iraq thing with the IEDs and whatnot i'd trade jobs with this guy for a day

i do believe that picture was taken right about the time he earned purple heart license plates after having a tank totaled out from under him though...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When the one guy was telling him to neutral steer I practically jumped out of my chair yelling "no, no, no!"
Pretty impressive that he didn't throw a track. I was half expecting to see an M88 by the end. As for cleaning the tank, most of that will come off when they drive it through the bird bath at the wash rack.

Quoted:well go 45E or what ever it is now.. that was Turret Mech. I thinks its now hull/turret mech. all the fun of armor with out having to live in one. I had a blast doing it.. Except the octopus cable in the test kit.. now that sucked..

Don't get me started on STE-M1. My best day as a turret mechanic was the day we got our M1A2s in the 3rd ACR.

what its now built in! OMG!! that would rock! last time I played with them was in 90.. did they ever fix the POS LRF? or do you still adjust it with the rubber mallet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#20]
needs better cleats on the tracks...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what its now built in! OMG!! that would rock! last time I played with them was in 90.. did they ever fix the POS LRF? or do you still adjust it with the rubber mallet?

Yep. On the A2's, all you need is a laptop and a bus connector that you can plug in to any data bus on the tank. In most cases you don't even need that, just punch up the on-screen diagnostics menus built into the tank. The A2s really had a lot of nice convienience enhancements built in. In addition to all the on-board diagnostics, it also has air jets that point into the V-pack filters. Bottles get charged with compressed air as the tank is driving then automatically discharge at regular intervals to blow them out on the fly. All the gauge panels are replaced with LCD screen readouts. On the commander's LCD, you can pull up maps that show where you are and where your company's tanks are. You can even designate targets on the map and transmit it out to call for indirect fire.

As for the LRF, it looked to be the same part on the A2 as the A1. I don't recall ever having to replace one on the A2 though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. On the A2's, all you need is a laptop and a bus connector that you can plug in to any data bus on the tank. In most cases you don't even need that, just punch up the on-screen diagnostics menus built into the tank.

As for the LRF, it looked to be the same part on the A2 as the A1. I don't recall ever having to replace one on the A2 though.

OMG OMG OMG!!! [highschool girl squeel] man you guy have it easy now..

ya lot of shitty LRF's in the late 80's we went through a lot of them.. ya know I really miss working on them, except the slip ring.. screw that.. good god man I need to get your address and talk shop.  was 45E/N from 87-90. any M1A1 that was in germany had my hands on it.. I was TDY for the m1a1 renewal there. Now that was a fun 8 months.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I want my own tank to play in the mud with
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Title left intact for dupe check.

Video Link

Holy smokes.  Starting up that tank sounds super sexeh!  I don't think I've ever heard one start up before.

God I miss that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. On the A2's, all you need is a laptop and a bus connector that you can plug in to any data bus on the tank. In most cases you don't even need that, just punch up the on-screen diagnostics menus built into the tank.

OMG OMG OMG!!! [highschool girl squeel] man you guy have it easy now..

ya lot of shitty LRF's in the late 80's we went through a lot of them.. ya know I really miss working on them, except the slip ring.. screw that.. good god man I need to get your address and talk shop.  was 45E/N from 87-90. any M1A1 that was in germany had my hands on it.. I was TDY for the m1a1 renewal there. Now that was a fun 8 months.

Haha, that easy time with the A2's was hard earned. I spent a couple years slaving away on A1's in 1AD. I only had the A2's for the last 6 months of my time on active duty.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Me too... being a TWAT sucks :(
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want my own tank to play in the mud with

I can hook you up with a running T55 for about $90,000.

do we have to wait until my check clears?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What a machine !  I'd hate to be the one cleaning that thing up.
No kidding.  Things like that are why I'm so very glad I was never a Tread-Head.  Have you seen the hoses at the tank wash racks?  Only fire hoses are larger and more powerful.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Just don't take it swimming....

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#31]
This would be my ooops. Had to go road march the vehicle after completing a bit of maintenance, coolant system had a leak I repaired and a fan that was finicky. I definitely tested out the cooling system. She was sitting on the hull in the photos. I was also able to self recover off those two trees straight ahead. No damage to the vehicle and life is good. Photos were cropped to protect the innocent....or the person who I followed into this mess. This is in the forest of eternal sorrows, 14 tons of fun!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I bet the wash rack was just as fun.............
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#33]

At the was rack at camp ripley, there's a shallow pit full of water that you drive your tank into to help loosen up the mud.
I'm sure I was not the first driver to forget to close his drain valves and go swimming in the drivers seat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks like fun, but I would hate to be on the wash rack with that thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At the was rack at camp ripley, there's a shallow pit full of water that you drive your tank into to help loosen up the mud.
I'm sure I was not the first driver to forget to close his drain valves and go swimming in the drivers seat.

Those bilge pumps only work so fast...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I found out two things the hard way with an M109.

It doesn't jump like that famous M1 video. Well actually it jumps just fine, landing is the hard part (Thank God for seatbelts).

You can swamp one when the water that you thought was 3 feet deep turns out to be 5.5 feet deep.

Looks like fun as long as the tracks stay on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#37]
god i miss that sound,

baddest fucking thing in our ground armory.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#38]
First time I heard one in Germany I was working in the motor pool and asked where the airfield was on the Army base?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#39]
My son did that about 15 years ago in Germany.  He was stuck hard.  Another tank had to pull him out.

The First Sergeant was pissed.  I got a pic somewhere of the tank way down in the mud and water right up to the driver's hatch.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

well do it..

well go 45E or what ever it is now.. that was Turret Mech. I thinks its now hull/turret mech. all the fun of armor with out having to live in one. I had a blast doing it.. Except the octopus cable in the test kit.. now that sucked..

Was 45k. Its now 94K. 45E was electronics as well as 45G's (If I remember correctly).
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those bilge pumps only work so fast...

It was always fun to turn them on when someone was standing next to the outlet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Gunnery in 03 (my units last year with tanks ), I killed three M1s:
The first one died on me, and when I went to restart the starter wouldn't stop, nor would the engine fire.
The second one's TIS went tits up, and the third one blew an FRH line in the turret, coating the inside.

Gotta love NG tanks.
Our final one was lucky, and we ended up shooting top gun out of the whole squadron (in the Troop CO's tank no less)
Well, the gunner was an E6 and a gunner in desert storm, so it was really his tank.

You guys got me reminiscing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#43]

"Tanks don't go where the cattails grow"
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I read the story here on ARF.com. The driver of an Abrams slid off the road and into a large body of water and completely flooded the inside of the tank. A few days later the CO had an award ceremony and awarded the tank driver with a Navy Dolphin badge for making his first successful dive.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Though the M1 series is far more bad ass, I actually think the older M60 tanks had a better sound. Listen to that baby purr near the end of the video.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Though the M1 series is far more bad ass, I actually think the older M60 tanks had a better sound. Listen to that baby purr near the end of the video.

http://youtu.be/LQzI8-DTj64
LOL.  I crewed '48A5's, '60A1's and M1A1's and I agree.

The M1 never smelled "right" either!

'course, that video gives a couple of pretty good examples of obscuration after firing and THAT wasn't so much fun on a glass-eyed '60

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Gunnery in 03 (my units last year with tanks ), I killed three M1s:
The first one died on me, and when I went to restart the starter wouldn't stop, nor would the engine fire.
The second one's TIS went tits up, and the third one blew an FRH line in the turret, coating the inside.

Gotta love NG tanks.
Our final one was lucky, and we ended up shooting top gun out of the whole squadron (in the Troop CO's tank no less)
Well, the gunner was an E6 and a gunner in desert storm, so it was really his tank.

You guys got me reminiscing.

"Driver move up." "Driver back."

Fuck yeah...did my part.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Whats with the strobe light?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Whats with the strobe light?
It's been years since I was on a tank but, my guess is that they were running with MILES (In some sort'a FTX) and someone shot them.

"Might" have something to do with how they got stuck too! lol

It's weird because I don't see a lot of sensors/receptors on the tank but "maybe" they're smaller/less visible these days?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First time I heard one in Germany I was working in the motor pool and asked where the airfield was on the Army base?

First time I heard one I was boot in 29 Palms.  We were doing some training with the base FD, pretty much right across the street from Tanks.  The airfield was closed, but I hear what I thought was a bird comming in.  Next thing we know here comes a bad ass M1, setting off car alarms and making my day all at the same time!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top