Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:55:16 AM EDT

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/dell-outlet-sent-me-a-barf-covered-gum-filled-refurb-laptop.html

Frank ordered a refurbished laptop from Dell Outlet last week, and got a great deal. He hadn't anticipated that the machine would come with extras: some gum in the CD drive and an unidentified substance that we can only hope is soup, but looks more like vomit.

Pics at link.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
"
The intended owner of this computer is having to attend college classes without a laptop for notes because of this incident."
How ever will they get through the class?

Sheyit, I'm forced to spend $1400 per school year to lease a lenovo laptop, but choose to rock the pen and paper because I tend to migrate to arfcom and the misc instead of paying attention.

With that said, Dell dun goofed. Hope they make it right.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Part of the refurbishing process is to clean the laptop
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Dell CS was calling my dad trying to sell him an "extended warranty" on a 5 year old notebook. He finally took them up on the offer for $100 then filed a claim and they replaced the motherboard screen and HD.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Isolated incident.

Everything I've ordered from Dell Outlet looks like brand new, save the "refurbished" label on the bottom.

Then again, I always unselect the "barf" and "gum" boxes
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Back in college, a bunch of us went out drinking one night.  Upon return, and quite snooched, Todd decided to instant message with a girl he knew to try and get some cyber action.

He ended up vomiting on his laptop.  It hit the screen dead-on, which acted as a diffuser plate.  There was a continuous line of vomit that ran from his computer, over the desk, across the floor, up the wall, across the entire ceiling, down the other wall, and back to the computer.

The computer was toast.  He took it to IT, and the guy told him, "You know, you're not the first person this has happened to."  

So, I'm forced to conclude that a lot of college kids vomit on their computers.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
That would be the Dell I remember...

I can remember trying to get Dell to honor their "warranty" for 3 months.  They continued to claim it was a software problem even after the computer refused to even boot at all. How they managed to make millions offering an inferior product with some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced will forever remain a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#8]
those damn 1% ers
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Isolated incident.

Everything I've ordered from Dell Outlet looks like brand new, save the "refurbished" label on the bottom.

Then again, I always unselect the "barf" and "gum" boxes

Same here. I've ordered 2 Precision workstations and just bought my daughter a notebook. All refurbs from the outlet store.
They come packed like new with all the zip strips and protective clear plastic bits in place.
One of my workstations was allegedly dented, but I could never figure out where.

I suspect this is like the Wendy's thumb incident.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend spilled a handle of shitty vodka on his Dell in college, luckily his parents had bought the 3-year-no-questions-asked-we-know-you're-in-college warranty so they FedEx'ed him a new laptop and walked him through swapping the hard drive over the phone.  He was up and running within 48 hours of calling them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I had them replace a part for a family member's computer. Aside from the Indian accented fellow on the phone it was relatively painless.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
A reply to that post:

I'd just go with Lenovo. I've had great service from them and have never received vomit in the mail from them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a hardware failure in a Dell laptop. They sent a guy out to repair it and it's been fine since. No vomit involved.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A friend spilled a handle of shitty vodka on his Dell in college, luckily his parents had bought the 3-year-no-questions-asked-we-know-you're-in-college warranty so they FedEx'ed him a new laptop and walked him through swapping the hard drive over the phone.  He was up and running within 48 hours of calling them.

Kharn

If he spilled my brand of vodka on his laptop the laptop would have written his term papers for him and his GPA would have gone into the stratosphere.

There is no excuse for shitty vodka.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently had a Powerbook come back from Apple with what looked like snot and full blown bugers between the keys. The designers noticed it but cleaned it before I could snag pics. They were scolded for this. The tissues they used however were covered in snot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top