Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 10:18:36 PM EDT
How difficult do you find to hit a B Mod sized target at 500 yards? For that matter, how difficult do you find it to see a B Mod Target at 500 yards?

I'll be on the yellow footprints in two months and I'm wondering just how well I'll be able to see that distance without the fashionable BCG's.

From what I've seen, a B Mod target is 40"x20" and that sounds like a pretty large target.However, I've never shot out to 500 yards though so I can only imagine what it would look like at that distance.

Anybody here have trouble focusing in on or seeing the 500 yard targets at Recruit Training?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Focus on the front sight post, not your target.  Sight alignment, sight picture, slow steady squeeze.  They will go over all this ad nauseum.  In reality though with focusing on the front sight post and covering the target the B mod ends up being just a skosh skinner than the FSP.  If you relax and use the fundamentals you learn in dry fire week, rifle range is not hard.  2 time rifle expert here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry about it.  They'll teach you what you need to know and make sure your eyes are up to the task.  You forgot about those spiffy new BCGs you were  getting, didn't you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Focus on the front sight post, not your target.  Sight alignment, sight picture, slow steady squeeze.  They will go over all this ad nauseum.  In reality though with focusing on the front sight post and covering the target the B mod ends up being just a skosh skinner than the FSP.  If you relax and use the fundamentals you learn in dry fire week, rifle range is not hard.  2 time rifle expert here.

It looks small from 500 (like the tip of a toothpick sitting on your front sight post), but if you apply the fundamentals it is surprisingly easy to hit.   Don't sweat it, just pay attention and use the snapping in / dryfire time to really practice your trigger control and other fundamentals.  Try to pull the trigger with zero movement on your snap-in target.  Most of all, just listen!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries. Just do what they teach you. In bootcamp, I scored a possible at 500 yards with a beat to shit, off the rack M16A1. It isn't magic. You will do things much more challenging during your stay in recruit training.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll do fine, just do what the tell you.

Hell, some of us used to shoot off-hand and that yard line.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks the same size as it does on the snapping in barrels 20' in front of you.
Best thing about learning marksmanship is you quickly learn that distance is relatively meaningless, position and fundamentals are everything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Best thing about learning marksmanship is you quickly learn that distance is relatively meaningless, position and fundamentals are everything.

Truth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top