Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:31 PM EDT

Listening to the radio, I heard the story behind rocker David Lee Roth’s notorious insistence that Van Halen’s contracts with concert promoters contain a clause specifying that a bowl of M&M’s has to be provided backstage, but with every single brown candy removed, upon pain of forfeiture of the show, with full compensation to the band. And at least once, Van Halen followed through, peremptorily cancelling a show in Colorado when Roth found some brown M&M’s in his dressing room. This turned out to be, however, not another example of the insane demands of power-mad celebrities but an ingenious ruse.

As Roth explained in his memoir, Crazy from the Heat, "Van Halen was the first band to take huge productions into tertiary, thirdlevel markets.

We’d pull up with nine 18-wheeler trucks, full of gear, where the standard was three trucks, max. And there were many, many technical errors — whether it was the girders couldn’t support the weight, or the flooring would sink in, or the doors weren’t big enough to move thegear through. The contract rider read like a version of the Chinese Yellow Pages because there was so much equipment, and so many human beings to make it function.” So just as a little test, buried somewhere in the middle of the rider, would be article 126, the no-brown-M&M’s clause. "When I would walk backstage, if I saw a brown M&M in that bowl,” he wrote, "well, we’d line-check the entire production. Guaranteed you’re going to arrive at a technical error… Guaranteed you’d run into a problem.” These weren’t trifles, the radio story pointed out. The mistakes could be lifethreatening. In Colorado, the band found the local promoters had failed to read the weight requirements and the staging would have fallen through the arena

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
HAMMANA ZEEMENA MEEMENA ZOT HAMMANNA HEEEMANA BEEMANA BOP

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sammy was better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That's brilliant!

Clever lawmakers should start doing that shit, too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's brilliant!

They won't even let us read the bills before they vote any more.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sammy was better.

yea when he was with Montrose...now he sucks.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's brilliant!

Buried on page 2000... "The Chief Sponsor of this bill shall have a threesome with the Olson twins under a full moon..."
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's brilliant!

Buried on page 2000... "The Chief Sponsor of this bill shall have a threesome with the Olson twins under a full moon..."

I've never considered running for office before but...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's brilliant!

Well, you can't tell whats in it, until it passes...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
All the touring bands I know use tour riders as a way to see exactly what they can get away with.
We just had Megadeth in the store and they had a pretty extensive list of things. In the end, all they really cared about was water and starbucks.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Iggy Pop's thoroughly entertaining rider: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/arena-rock/iggy-pop
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the idea.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sammy was better.

I like Sammy.  I really do.  Van Hagar was even more directly in tune with my age cohort than Diamond Dave.

That said., you need to gently set down the crack pipe and slowly back away.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, that's pretty slick.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like bull shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top