Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:17 PM EDT
Can someone please explain to me how you can ship a hangun for $25?  Each time I've tried to sale a hangun on ARFCOM, I get replies that I can ship it for $25.  Maybe I'm doing somethhing wrong, but it's cost me over $60 each time.  The US Post Office will not take handguns (long guns yes) FedEx and UPS seem to be the only game in town.  UPS being slightly more expensive than FedEx.  I've never been able to get them to the 25 dollar mark.  Overnight alone costs more than that and they have to go that way.

I've lost sales because I told the possible buyer it would be around 60 to ship.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Can someone please explain to me how you can ship a hangun for $25?  Each time I've tried to sale a hangun on ARFCOM, I get replies that I can ship it for $25.  Maybe I'm doing somethhing wrong, but it's cost me over $60 each time.  The US Post Office will not take handguns (long guns yes) FedEx and UPS seem to be the only game in town.  UPS being slightly more expensive than FedEx.  I've never been able to get them to the 25 dollar mark.  Overnight alone costs more than than and they have to go that way.

I've lost sales because I told the possible buyer it would be around 60 to ship.

Any help would be appreciated.

USPS , FFL to FFL, I believe.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  Find an FFL that will ship it for you using USPS.  I done it in the past and only cost me 25-35 dollars.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Roger, I usually just ship myself.  What's the FFL fee if any?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Get fedex online account
2. Put handgun in box along with ID
3. Fill out shipping info online
4. Choose fedex 2nd day (or ground depending on how close you live to recipient)
5. Print label
6. Attach said label
7. Drive to fedex HUB (not fedex/kinkos store)
8. Declare it is a handgun (fedex should let you choose 2nd day, whereas UPS will make you ship next day)
9. Leave
10. Profit

overnighting a handgun is a shipper's rule––not a federal regulation––it's meant to cut down on shipping company's liability for stolen property.

ETA: fixing my fool proof plan so no one gets in trouble
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's up to each FFL.  The FFL fee should be around $25.  Don't let anyone charge you more.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
4. Choose fedex 2nd day (or ground depending on how close you live to recipient)
5. Print label
6. Attach said label
8. Drop off and say "ready to go"
9. Leave
10. Profit

overnighting a handgun is mostly a shipper's rule––not a federal regulation––it's meant to cut down on shipping company's liability for stolen property.

ETA: don't say "uh...I'm here to ship a, *gulp* gun..."  It will only exacerbate the situation.

#8 will get you in trouble. Federal law requires you to declare firearms to the shipper.

Is "mostly" not a federal regulation kind of like sort of pregnant?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
5. Print label
6. Attach said label
9. Leave
10. Profit

overnighting a handgun is mostly a shipper's rule––not a federal regulation––it's meant to cut down on shipping company's liability for stolen property.

ETA: don't say "uh...I'm here to ship a, *gulp* gun..."  It will only exacerbate the situation.

#8 will get you in trouble. Federal law requires you to declare firearms to the shipper.

Fixed my post above, thanks for pointing out that a handgun has to be declared––would've hated to get someone in trouble.  
Damn, gotta quit posting after a trip to the bar

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg

Don't know how to hotlink, but here is a letter on the BATF's regulations for shipping––it's about clear as mud for me, but their summary at the bottom says that you don't have to declare a firearm per federal regulation, but rather if the shipper has that policy.

anyone care to shed more light on this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5. Print label

6. Attach said label

9. Leave

10. Profit

Fixed my post above, thanks for pointing out that a handgun has to be declared––would've hated to get someone in trouble.  

Damn, gotta quit posting after a trip to the bar

that is not correct

you only gave to notify the shipping company that it is a firearm if it's being shipped to a non FFL

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5. Print label

6. Attach said label

9. Leave

10. Profit

Wrong

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Fedex and UPS both require you declare the handgun and ship overnight.  I've heard the stories of their employees ripping off firearms, hence the overnight requirement.  Less time for employees to have access.  Of course it could just be a ploy to rake in more money.  Either way, I have always followed policy.  I guess if I had an actual fedex acount, it would cost me less.  I've shipped dozens of rifles and it never cost me more than 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to Fedex's website, but couldn't find anything on there that stated handguns had to ship overnight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
From the fedex website:

FedEx EXPRESS rules:  Firearms

FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: (1) you agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by local, state or federal regulations; (2) the shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

You also agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

The 2nd paragraph says it all.   PRIORITY OVERNIGHT and must notify the fedex employee the the PACKAGE CONTAINS A FIREARM.

And now the ground rules:

FedEx Ground rules:  Firearms

FedEx Ground will transport firearms (excluding handguns), but only between:

1. Licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, licensed collectors, law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency, or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers for the purpose of repair or customizing (and return of same).

3. Firearms must be shipped via the FedEx Delivery Signature Options Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required options and are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

4. FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition, when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this tariff.

5. FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

6. Firearms and ammunition must be shipped in separate packages.

Handguns have to go express.  Can't go ground.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
About the best you can hope for is to find an FFL who will ship USPS for you.

FFL fee ($25) plus USPS shipping (Priority Mail Flat Rate + Insurance of $600) for about $45 total on $600 gun.

Most folks don't factor in FFL fee, or don't know fee schedule for UPS/Fedex.

I have a (free) UPS account. I print prepaid label and drop package an any UPS store or give to a driver for ground delivery. I do not declare a gun is being shipped. This is in violation of UPS rules, and I do not know what issues would exist if package was damaged or lost. I have been lucky so far. As long as gun is shipped to an FFL this procedure is 100% legal.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From the fedex website:

FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: (1) you agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by local, state or federal regulations; (2) the shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

You also agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

The 2nd paragraph says it all.   PRIORITY OVERNIGHT and must notify the fedex employee the the PACKAGE CONTAINS A FIREARM.

1. Licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, licensed collectors, law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency, or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers for the purpose of repair or customizing (and return of same).

3. Firearms must be shipped via the FedEx Delivery Signature Options Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required options and are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

4. FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition, when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this tariff.

5. FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thanks––I guess I didn't read closely enough.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depends on the FFL.

My local FFL charges $20 for a regular transfer.  Add another $10 or so for flat rate postage and another $20 for his time and effort to go to the post office...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the FFL.

My local FFL charges $20 for a regular transfer.  Add another $10 or so for flat rate postage and another $20 for his time and effort to go to the post office...

"$20 for his time and effort to go to the post office" he's f#cking you or didn't know USPS picks up for free. I vote for he's f#cking you
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the FFL.

"$20 for his time and effort to go to the post office" he's f#cking you or didn't know USPS picks up for free. I vote for he's f#cking you

Depends on where in the USA you live... 1000's of folks around here have no USPS delivery to their homes, and the closest PO is 20 miles, or more away...I'd imagine there are FFLs in far more rural areas out West. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

From the fedex website:

That is a FedX policy and it does NOT make it unlawful to ship it ground.

They would probably deny any insurance claim you brought as a result of loss or theft.

But they have not lost any of the 1000's of guns I have shipped via FedX or UPS, not one.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
So it looks like I'm spending 25 for a FFL for his time and then the 25 to actually ship it.  So really it's a wash.  50 FFL or 60 to fedex.  I guess no more shipping handguns unless the buyer wants to pay for all the shipping fees.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

FFL fee ($25) plus USPS shipping (Priority Mail Flat Rate + Insurance of $600) for about $45 total on $600 gun.

I have a (free) UPS account. I print prepaid label and drop package an any UPS store or give to a driver for ground delivery. I do not declare a gun is being shipped. This is in violation of UPS rules, and I do not know what issues would exist if package was damaged or lost. I have been lucky so far. As long as gun is shipped to an FFL this procedure is 100% legal.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the FFL.

I guess you work for free huh?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So it looks like I'm spending 25 for a FFL for his time and then the 25 to actually ship it.  So really it's a wash.  50 FFL or 60 to fedex.  I guess no more shipping handguns unless the buyer wants to pay for all the shipping fees.

How many guns could you be shipping per year?

It can't be that many or you'd need a license, right?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm going to stand out by my mailbox from 9 am to 6 pm waiting for my USPS guy to show up to take a handgun and the Form 1508 that accompanies it instead of driving to the post office and dropping it off.  NOT!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So when you insure a $2000 gun and they ask you whats in the package and you say a watch, then something happens to the package, seems like it might be a little hard to get reimbursed.

My UPS always wants to know specifically what the item is if I insure it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Not that many.  Not enough to open a Fedex account.  I've only sold maybe 4 handguns on ARFCOM in 5 years.  However, it's not about how many.  It's about all the emails I get stating I'm asking too much for shipping.  Other members keep telling me that 25 is the most they will pay for shipping.  I have two handguns up for sale now which I think are very reasonably priced.  A Ruger Blackhawk .357 for 275 and a Glock 29 for 375.  Both basically brand new.  What kills the deal is when I ask for 60 bucks to ship them.  Which is a real world number.  I sold two last year and each one was over 60 bucks to ship.  Hence my question how to ship for 25 bucks.  Last time I accepted offers shipped based on what I was told by the buyer.  "Oh, you can ship for 15-25 dollars."  Then when I walked into fedex, I was slammed with a 65 dollar fee and a 73 dollar fee.  I lost my ass on what was already a low price anyway.  I already accepted the offers so I couldn't re-nig.  That's totally not cool.  My reputation meant more to me then losing the money.  However, I vowed never again.  

The last thing I want is to come across like a ARFCOMer trying to rip off my fellow gun lovers.  

Thanks for everyone's advice.    
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn, y'all get bent over by FFLs.  The FFLs in my area charge around $30 total to ship.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Stupid quesrion, but what does DHL have to say on the matter?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I think 20 to 25 is fair for an FFL to ship.  there's some official govt audit-prone paperwork involved, and some liability to you (the customer) if there's a fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think 20 to 25 is fair for an FFL to ship.  there's some official govt audit-prone paperwork involved, and some liability to you (the customer) if there's a fuck up.

The "20 to 25" is not to ship, but the transfer fee. Shipping is typically a different (additional) cost item.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
5. Print label
6. Attach said label
8. Declare it is a handgun (fedex should let you choose 2nd day, whereas UPS will make you ship next day)
9. Leave
10. Profit

overnighting a handgun is a shipper's rule––not a federal regulation––it's meant to cut down on shipping company's liability for stolen property.

ETA: fixing my fool proof plan so no one gets in trouble

You can ship a hand gun Next Day Saver with UPS...Fedex Requires a one day service as well..
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the FFL.

How about $20 for his willingness to get his business involved in YOUR business. He's the one who will have to answer to the BATFE if there's a problem.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So when you insure a $2000 gun and they ask you whats in the package and you say a watch, then something happens to the package, seems like it might be a little hard to get reimbursed.

My UPS always wants to know specifically what the item is if I insure it.
Well I don't have a place on the UPS account site to state what is in the package.

Or FedX for that matter.

If I was a lay person shipping a 2K gun I'd bite the bullet and pay for the overnight.

But I do this for a living and Have accounts at FedX, UPS & The postal service, so I just print the label and off they go, unless it's going by postal, then I print the 1508 form too.

The problem is this guy is not licensed and is kinda pissed that he can't do what a lic person can, answer?

Get licensed.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not that many.  Not enough to open a Fedex account.  I've only sold maybe 4 handguns on ARFCOM in 5 years.  However, it's not about how many.  It's about all the emails I get stating I'm asking too much for shipping.  Other members keep telling me that 25 is the most they will pay for shipping.  I have two handguns up for sale now which I think are very reasonably priced.  A Ruger Blackhawk .357 for 275 and a Glock 29 for 375.  Both basically brand new.  What kills the deal is when I ask for 60 bucks to ship them.  Which is a real world number.  I sold two last year and each one was over 60 bucks to ship.  Hence my question how to ship for 25 bucks.  Last time I accepted offers shipped based on what I was told by the buyer.  "Oh, you can ship for 15-25 dollars."  Then when I walked into fedex, I was slammed with a 65 dollar fee and a 73 dollar fee.  I lost my ass on what was already a low price anyway.  I already accepted the offers so I couldn't re-nig.  That's totally not cool.  My reputation meant more to me then losing the money.  However, I vowed never again.  

The last thing I want is to come across like a ARFCOMer trying to rip off my fellow gun lovers.  

That is why you should limit yourself to instate. Ground and overnight are the same..... and it will be cheaper than the FFL route.

Figure out a shipped in state price for the blackhawk and see how it comes up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It does not cost anything to open a UPS account

Open the account, print the label online and be done with it.

The account will be there when you need it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why you should limit yourself to instate. Ground and overnight are the same..... and it will be cheaper than the FFL route.

Figure out a shipped in state price for the blackhawk and see how it comes up.
Fail

UPS & FedX will still make him ship the gun overnight air

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top