Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:13:10 PM EDT
I've always just taken my small little KelTec PF9 with me on backpack trips. It's small enough to put in a side pouch without much issue.  

I'm going backpacking in a few days again, but this time I would like to take my 1911 with me.  It's big enough where I can't just put it in a pocket in my pack, plus....I don't want to have to dig for it if I ever should need it in a hurry.  I've got a few different options as far as holsters go (MTAC IWB CCW holster, 2 different generic OWB holsters, and a "tactical" type thigh holster)....but not of them really work will when you have a big pack on that has a large hip belt on it.

For those of you who go backpacking a lot...how to you carry your pistol with you??  I want something that will be comfortable, but still give me quick assess to it. I'm not worried about concealing it.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In a holster, on your hip.  A pistol in your backpack is as good for self defense as the granola bar next to it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I OC when I am backpacking. No reason not to. It is far more comfortable.

XD40 in a SERPA on a paddle usually.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In a holster, on your hip.  A pistol in your backpack is as good for self defense as the granola bar next to it.

+10,000,000,000.00
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He steps up to the plate and hits one out of the park!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Flap holster on my strong side hip.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thigh rig. Hip holster will interfere with the waist strap on your back pack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Replace 1911 with glock 30 or 29 and place on side in IWB holster.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the MTAC.   I find that a 1911 carries very nicely in an IWB at 3 oclock for me.  It's a slim gun with a slim grip, even though it's long.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do you put a pistol on your hip in a holster, and then strap a 4" wide hip belt from you 40lb backpack on top of it????  

Have any of you guys actually worn a real pack before (not trying to sound like a smart ass).

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thigh rig. Hip holster will interfere with the waist strap on your back pack.

Depends on the person, I suppose.  My holster rests below my pack's waist belt and I don't have it attached to a thigh rig.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you put a pistol on your hip in a holster, and then strap a 4" wide hip belt from you 40lb backpack on top of it????  

I carry appendix when hiking, riding bikes, etc. No chance of falling on it, doesn't interfere with packs or belts, and with a gun the size of a PF9 (which I also carry) it's very comfortable. Just don't shoot your dick off.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have any of you guys actually worn a real pack before (not trying to sound like a smart ass).

drop leg attachment...use a thigh ride holster
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have any pics of them wearing a pack with their hip holster?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  Not many real backpackers here, I think.

I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Chest holster made by Diamond D Leather - Guides Choice Chest Holster. Diamon D Leather
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chest holster made by Diamond D Leather - Guides Choice Chest Holster. Diamon D Leather

That's a pretty cool rig...not sure I want to spend $160 for it though.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't 40 pound packs the reason you bring the wife along?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
You could always put the gun on the belt of the pack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could beat that price by $40 by going to Simply Rugged holsters, buying one of their pancake belt holsters for $60, and a Chesty Puller conversion for another $60.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You could always put the gun on the belt of the pack.

Yeah, that's always an option.  I might try it if I can figure out a good way to secure it....not sure I want the gun flopping around with the holster just hanging from the this nylon strap that goes around the padded hip belt on the pack. Might try to figure something out.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit a gun show and find an m7/m9 shoulder holster...I found one for $20
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  Not many real backpackers here, I think.

I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster.

Probably the reason I took my G19 off my belt and kept it in my backpack when taking an extended hike in the Grand Canyon.

Short hikes, stays on the belt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop legs suck enough for short hauls.

My recommendation is to use a Wilderness Safepacker (from the guys who make the belts so many here like so much).

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

It easily attaches to most sternum straps or hip belts, or anywhere, really.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#29]
cross draw chest rig.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/2/Default.aspx

I've used wilderness saferpackers, the Tactical Tailor pistol pouch-lunara or something like that, the Kifaru Koala and the Eagle Biafra Run Pouch, I think the Hill People chest rig is the best set up. The pistol stays on you when your pack comes off. The koala is just too large for a chest rig for me. I'd like to try the Hill people Runner's kit rig, I think that might be cooler in warm weather.  

I did remove my hill people chest rig on one really long and hot hike in the mountains this summer, however there was no pistol in it because we were out of the country. It clips to a molle pack easily.

I can't imagine hiking with a pistol in a thigh rig, I am surprised someone suggested that.

This one is new to me.  Mi gusto mucho.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I use a chest holster.  On the waist doesn't work with the waist belt of the pack.  Thigh holster is not comfortable if you're hiking any distance.  Holster on the belt of the pack doesn't work if you have to or want to ditch the pack.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always just taken my small little KelTec PF9 with me on backpack trips. It's small enough to put in a side pouch without much issue.  

I'm going backpacking in a few days again, but this time I would like to take my 1911 with me.  It's big enough where I can't just put it in a pocket in my pack, plus....I don't want to have to dig for it if I ever should need it in a hurry.  I've got a few different options as far as holsters go (MTAC IWB CCW holster, 2 different generic OWB holsters, and a "tactical" type thigh holster)....but not of them really work will when you have a big pack on that has a large hip belt on it.

For those of you who go backpacking a lot...how to you carry your pistol with you??  I want something that will be comfortable, but still give me quick assess to it. I'm not worried about concealing it.

Thanks!

Didn't that dig into your side like crazy with the hip belt pressing the gun into your side??  I don't see how you could ever strap a hip belt OVER a holstered gun....just sounds very uncomfortable...especially if you are hiking for hours and hours a day.

I have carried my G-19 under the hip belt 100's of times.  You just need to practicing releasing the hip belt prior to drawing.  After you are moving for 5 minutes, you forget it is there.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
In your hand.

always be ready for danger
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In your hand.

Thanks...why didn't I think of that....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop legs suck enough for short hauls.

My recommendation is to use a Wilderness Safepacker (from the guys who make the belts so many here like so much).

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

It easily attaches to most sternum straps or hip belts, or anywhere, really.

That safepacker is a pretty sweet setup!! Best idea so far!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I've modified a a few pouches that have most of the weight carred by the shoulder strap and then secured by the waist belt.  Discreet and comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/2/Default.aspx

I've used wilderness saferpackers, the Tactical Tailor pistol pouch-lunara or something like that, the Kifaru Koala and the Eagle Biafra Run Pouch, I think the Hill People chest rig is the best set up. The pistol stays on you when your pack comes off. The koala is just too large for a chest rig for me. I'd like to try the Hill people Runner's kit rig, I think that might be cooler in warm weather.  

I did remove my hill people chest rig on one really long and hot hike in the mountains this summer, however there was no pistol in it because we were out of the country. It clips to a molle pack easily.

I can't imagine hiking with a pistol in a thigh rig, I am surprised someone suggested that.

I use the Safepacker attached to the backpack's hip belt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#41]
use a MOLLE compatible holster and attach it to your waiststrap or shoulderstraps on your ruck.  i did a ton of backpacking in the Beartooth Wilderess with this set up on an arcteryx internal frame pack.  more comfortable than the rest and ready to go when you need it.  avoid all belt type holsters, it'll only be uncomfortable when you throw it on.

i'd used a el cheapo blackhawk double retention MOLLE holster and threw it on my left shoulder strap, similar i guess to a crossdraw shoulder rig.  just remember to use at least a single (at least) or a double retention rig, a lot of stuff can get lost on a hike.

whatever is more comfortable to you though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In your hand.

I bet it makes it hard to wipe your ass doesn't it?

Real men don't wipe their ass.

Sanitation is for pussies, and takes away a natural odor defense while making you vulnerable to attack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#43]
My backpack's hip belt interferes with using a hip holster.  I use a bandolier holster slung across my chest.  It is fast acess for my xd40. If you are going to carry in the back country, take a .40 or .45 to defend yourself against the 2 or 4 legged critters!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]
CamelBak makes packs with hidden handgun compartments with built in holsters that are accessible while wearing the pack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Bianchi makes a military holster that will fasten to the hip belt of a pack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top