Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 4:41:06 PM EDT
Anybody else get ingrown hairs or bumps after they get a hair cut?  any tips on how to treat them or avoid them?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard witchhazel works.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

And no idea.

They aggravate me to no end. I also get them on the front of my thighs, I guess from where my pants rub against me.

Sometimes I can pick out the hair with a needle or pin
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ingrown hairs are from the hair being cut below the surface of the skin. Sounds odd that it is happening from a haircut. It usually happens from shaving, thats why I switched from a razor blade to a electric razor. I get almost zero ingrowns now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one of those fuckers on my neck from shaving that encysted and cost me $3k to have removed.
I aggressively dig them out and treat them now.
And I don't wear neckties or try to shave that close anymore either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
aftershave man , aftershave
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Had this problem for several years. Surgery is the only solution for me because its spread. Meds help it a little bit but don't stop the problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
fuck!! surgery is not what i wanted to hear.   i have them bad on my head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ingrown hairs are from the hair being cut below the surface of the skin. Sounds odd that it is happening from a haircut. It usually happens from shaving, thats why I switched from a razor blade to a electric razor. I get almost zero ingrowns now.

It can also be genetic.  My beard hair tends to curl after cutting, black men have the same problem.  I can't "shave" and have to use a trimmer to groom my neck.  It was cool back when Don Johnson made it popular, now I just always look I have a couple days of growth.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can also be genetic.  My beard hair tends to curl after cutting, black men have the same problem.  I can't "shave" and have to use a trimmer to groom my neck.  It was cool back when Don Johnson made it popular, now I just always look I have a couple days of growth.  

I haven't used anything but a Wahl beard-trimmer for years now.  With no guard on the head, I can get pretty close.  Not razor close, but close enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
this is happening after getting haircuts i get the side done with no guard. I know i have an allergy to nickel. are clipper blades made out of nickel?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't get them from shaving that much, but I do get them on the back of my neck above the hairline and even on top of my head.  Usually they get bad about a week after getting a hair cut and then come and go after that.  This is something that probably just started maybe 5 years ago, not sure why.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop using a razor to get a haircut.

And wash your hair at least once a day.

Seriously, wipe with alcohol after holding a hot washcloth over it for a few minutes, (when they start coming in) and buy some of the "clean" shampoo that is made to remove build up or residue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ball sack pimples
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I get this crap all the time so pay attention because I am about to give you the holy grail.....

TendSkin

It comes in a blue bottle and smells kinda like rubbing alcohol. It's basically liquid asprin. I put it on twice a day (after shaving and before bed). It's not a "cure" but I guarantee you if you use it consistently it will reduce those bumps by 90%+
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
End thread. Above poster nailed it. Tendskin is expensive, but it works.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You can also make poor man's tendskin if you're worried about the cost.... Just grind up bulk aspirin (as fine as you can) and dissolve it in alcohol and then apply to your skin. Doesn't work as good, but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stop using a razor to get a haircut.

And wash your hair at least once a day.

Seriously, wipe with alcohol after holding a hot washcloth over it for a few minutes, (when they start coming in) and buy some of the "clean" shampoo that is made to remove build up or residue.

2 showers a day and ive been using tgel shampoo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Just squeeze and enjoy the eruption!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I get this crap all the time so pay attention because I am about to give you the holy grail.....

TendSkin

It comes in a blue bottle and smells kinda like rubbing alcohol. It's basically liquid asprin. I put it on twice a day (after shaving and before bed). It's not a "cure" but I guarantee you if you use it consistently it will reduce those bumps by 90%+

Thank you!!!! im willing to try anything!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

TendSkin

I use it after every shave. It burns and feels like you are pouring gasoline on your face but it prevents ingrown hairs great
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TendSkin

Give it a few weeks to really show results....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TendSkin

Works like a charm.  If I don't use it I pay for it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
What I found that works for me is that the day after I shave I use some exfoliating gloves to scrub my face and neck, then I follow up after I get out of the shower with some cocoa butter hand lotion.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I rest my chin on my hand.. I always get them after shaving from doing that. Now your head? That is just crazy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I rest my chin on my hand.. I always get them after shaving from doing that. Now your head? That is just crazy.

Back of your head rests on your pillow for hours every night.
Very common place to get them whether you get your head and/or neck razor shaved or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top