Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 4:13:39 PM EDT

Seattle has a brilliant
solution to their many police problems — refuse to release
police dash-cam footage, then [url=http://www.abajournal.com/files/COMPLAINT_FOR_DECLARATORY_AND_INJUNCTIVE_RELIEF_FINAL.pdf]
sue [pdf][/url] the person requesting said
footage.

KOMO
News sued the city of Seattle
after public information
requests for police dash-cam video were not fulfilled. The suit
alleges violation of the public records law.

But criminal defense attorney James Egan never expected the city
would preemptively sue him just for asking for police dash cam
video.

"Shocked. I am shocked," he said. "What the police department is
saying is if you make a request for public documents, ultimately
you will be sued."

I guess you don't need to make it against the law if you can sue them right? - TS
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you expect out of a crappy police department who wants to cover their ass.   And they can get away with it in liberal King County.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
To protect and serve (PUKE).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Dirty cops and corrupt politicians.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
A suit for a declaratory judgment is not the same as suing someone for money damages. They are asking the court for a legal opinion before they act.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dirty cops and corrupt politicians.

Understatement.

What are they hiding?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A suit for a declaratory judgment is not the same as suing someone for money damages. They are asking the court for a legal opinion before they act.

Sounds like they've got something to hide.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Just when I thought SPD was at rock bottom....NOPE...wow, just fucking wow.

In other news... SPD officer kills self after drug arrest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"The City further seeks injunctive relief under RCW 42.56.540 enjoining the release of copies of the subject in-car videos to the public by a law enforcement agency subject to this section until final disposition of any criminal or civil litigation which arises from the events which were recorded."

i agree with your statement that it's different.  

But what they are asking is criminal imho.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess you don't realize the integrity of the other officers to actually do something about the problem cop and not conceal his acts. Instead of supporting the good cops, you slam the entire agency because of one idiot even THEY (other cops) didn't support.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The CHIEF of POLICE needs to take the responsibility for the DEPT's FAILURE.  Mind you that he's been at the job since May 7, 2009 (as the interim chief) and officially since Aug. 16, 2010.  And, he has also been the Deputy Chief overseeing the Operations Bureau (just prior to being the CHIEF).  So, no doubt, he is familiar (or should be) with the goings on, at the patrol officer's level.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand, what does this thread have to do with Christians?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I lol'ed, literally.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you don't realize the integrity of the other officers to actually do something about the problem cop and not conceal his acts. Instead of supporting the good cops, you slam the entire agency because of one idiot even THEY (other cops) didn't support.

Have you been watching the track record of SPD over the past 2 years? Maybe if there was more evidence of them policing their own, I would have a different opinion. Instead all I find is ass covering. SPD arrested one of their own because he was corrupt. Good, thats a step in the right direction. That doesnt mean that all the shit that has been uncovered is any less fucked up. Now, I will also note that I have had a good amount of interaction with SPD and have never seen anything but professional conduct. I honestly do hope that SPD turns themselves around. Like I said I interact with them quite a bit and want nothing more than them to be the envy of police forces across the nation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The City further seeks injunctive relief under RCW 42.56.540 enjoining the release of copies of the subject in-car videos to the public by a law enforcement agency subject to this section until final disposition of any criminal or civil litigation which arises from the events which were recorded."

i agree with your statement that it's different.  

But what they are asking is criminal imho.

Good pick up, thank you for explaining that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lol'ed, literally.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top