Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 1:45:25 PM EDT
Just got out of the grocery store, after spending $225 of cash. The store had 4 (10 items or less) and 12 (regular) checkout lines running; but only 2 baggers for everywhere.

Do I just have a cheap grocery store or are all the grocery stores acclimating us to bag our own groceries? I would much rather watch the cashier ring up groceries so I have no double charges or surprises of prices of groceries.

What do you guys do? Bag your own or just stand there until someone comes along?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got out of the grocery store, after spending $225 of cash. The store had 4 (10 items or less) and 12 (regular) checkout lines running; but only 2 baggers for everywhere.

Do I just have a cheap grocery store or are all the grocery stores acclimating us to bag our own groceries? I would much rather watch the cashier ring up groceries so I have no double charges or surprises of prices of groceries.

What do you guys do? Bag your own or just stand there until someone comes along?

All the ones ive seen have been self bagging for 9/10 years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Most grocery stores have it so the cashier bags while ringing everything up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You shop at Walmart, don't you?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sav-a-lot doesn't bag at all. puts your stuff right back in the cart. You box your own on the counter at the front, with the boxes you gathered as you go down the aisles. Definitely cheaper but no name brands.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My local independent grocery store does that. Not just Wal-Mart. The major grocery chains like Kroger and Publix are the only ones I've ever seen that have dedicated baggers around here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I went coupon shopping I got enough stuff to last for a very long time it took me awhile to unload all of it.  Goign back for cat liter again, 20lb boxes of arm and hammer for $5.99 at a chain store and it isn't walmart wally world wanted $12.49 for the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I shop at Safeway, and the cashier bags. I have been using the self checkout lately though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't bag my own unless I go to Aldi's.

If you're gonna charge me $3.55 for a gal of milk, $1.70 for a dozen eggs, and $2.99/lb for ground beef you're goddamn right I'm not bagging my own shit too. When I get old I'm going to be a crotchety old man.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you had used a Dignity/EBT card, someone would have bagged them for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I won't bag my own unless I go to Aldi's.

If you're gonna charge me $3.55 for a gal of milk, $1.70 for a dozen eggs, and $2.99/lb for ground beef you're goddamn right I'm not bagging my own shit too. When I get old I'm going to be a crotchety old man.

You got off easy on the Ground Beef... I just paid $3.58 for 80/20

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I refuse to bag my own. I don't get paid to work there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]
This is where Aldi kicks ass.  You stand there with your cart and watch your items get rung up quicker than Aimless swings a banhammer.  All your items go into another cart that you take to a separate bagging/boxing area and you box/bag your shit up the way you like it.  I prefer boxes because they insulate and Aldi usually sticks them out there for you to use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Aldi needs to get their shit together not me
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't grocery shopping woman's work..?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I refuse to bag my own. I don't get paid to work there.

Me too.  I just stand around with my finger up my nose.  
Not really, I just bag my shit and GTFO.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sav-a-lot doesn't bag at all. puts your stuff right back in the cart. You box your own on the counter at the front, with the boxes you gathered as you go down the aisles. Definitely cheaper but no name brands.

Mine's got name brands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top