Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 11:48:08 AM EDT
I'm considering selling off my collection of about 40 firearms, many thousands of rounds of ammo, hundreds of magazines and various other accessories.

If I sold now, would I be regretting it around election time? Do you think we'll see prices anywhere near that they were back in 08?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd wait a year if you could.  If Obama wins, I imagine people will flip out again.

Prices are fairly low right now particularly for AR's.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd wait a year if you could. If Obama wins, I imagine people will flip out again.

this

OP- youre going to keep one or two right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd wait a year if you could. If Obama wins, I imagine people will flip out again.

this

What do you think he is, some kind of criminal?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't sell now as people are still paying off the holidays.  Wait a few months until the tax refunds start arriving.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

What do you think he is, some kind of criminal?

no, just making sure he is still armed atleast

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm considering selling off my collection of about 40 firearms, many thousands of rounds of ammo, hundreds of magazines and various other accessories.

If I sold now, would I be regretting it around election time? Do you think we'll see prices anywhere near that they were back in 08?

That sentence make the baby Jesus cry.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You shouldn't be allowed to have that many anyway.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now is a buyers market. If obama wins then that would be an even better reason to hold on to them. You never know what kind of shit he could pull.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

this

Of course I'll be keeping all the essentials.. The ~40 number just came from the ones I would be selling
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
definitely wait until this coming Fall.   The election cycle will be in full swing and there WILL be impulse buying (specifically ammo).  It just may not be as extreme as previous.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd wait a year if you could.  If Obama wins, I imagine people will flip out again.

This. Or if Romney wins, you can wait until he signs a gun ban. That will be a great time to sell; black market prices are a great way to make money.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll give you $1000 sight-unseen for all of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have got a few that I plan on selling.
I have decided to wait 6-18 months before doing so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Nobody has a crystal ball.

It's possible that in preperation for another panic that dealers could overstock and then nothing happens so the prices drop like a rock on firearms.

It's possible that we get a repeat of November 2008 and people freak out with prices sky rocketing.

Possible nothing at all could happen and the firearms will be about the same price in November as they are now.

NO IDEA. World is going to hell in a hand basket though so I'd keep at least one if I were you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
First post again.  Unless you need the money NOW, it's a bad time to sell.  People are still in debt after the holidays and haven't gotten their refunds yet.  

After the last election, I sold off a ton of AR mags and a couple of AKs and made a killing without even trying.  Worst thing happens if you will wait is that you will get the same money as at any other time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Times that by 30 and we'll talk. Also be a smokin deal for you, even at that number.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, wait.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Times that by 30 and we'll talk. Also be a smokin deal for you, even at that number.

Now the offer is $900.  Keep talking.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Can we get a list?    When will these items be for sale?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I rost.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep them for now. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Sell now.  Times are bad and it will not improve unless we allow for cold fusion to be patented.  With a declining world  economy it is best to divest oneself of unnecessary chattel and to concentrate on items that will sustain or enrich you.   Read FerFal's book.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I would dump them now.  Once Obongo gets reelected guns will become worthless...I'd get what you can for them now.

Hell, I'll even give you $1000 for the lot.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right, I'll sell you 40 mosin nagant receivers, 2000 rounds of 22lr, and 100 copies of guns and ammo for $900.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

yep and FWIW last time it took a few days

I had a surplus of stuff I took to the shop to sell off day after the election

it sat for about a week before things started rolling then as everyone knows HOLY SHIT!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]
There will be all kinds of freaking out and idiots who will be FINALLY trying to get their first AR or whatever.

I say yes you are silly to do it now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I'll sweeten the pot.  $1000 plus a one ounce silver coin.  To the Douche Copter!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

it sat for about a week before things started rolling then as everyone knows HOLY SHIT!

Your customers must be slow.  Our first panic buyer called ten minutes into McCain's election-night "I lost" speech.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#31]
It is more likely to be the panic of the sheeple as they start to worry about the whole 2012 BS that will drive up guns and such.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The closer we get to November, more and More folks will be looking at buying additional stuff. Hold out for the feeding frenzy.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
depends on what kind of guns you have to sale. Stuff like ar's, aks could shoot up with panic buiyng. Fudd guns, milsurps etc arent going to see that type of swing but i would still wait till people got tax money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your customers must be slow.  Our first panic buyer called ten minutes into McCain's election-night "I lost" speech.

yeah kinda surprised me as I saw the insanity occurring online right after

It was good 24 hours till we got our first panic buyer

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Do a test sell. Put a fairly detailed list with good pics on Gunbroker. Start at $1 but put a high reserve on it. See how it goes. that may give you a good idea of interest. Ity may be best to break it up into two or three groups, each in the potential $10k range as one lot in the $30k range limits your buyers significantly. The note above concerning what type of guns is very valid. A .22 caliber Colt Diamondback isn't a panic buy gun, but a basic Romanian AK is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
so when you sell them to profit from craze are you out of the game or do you have to replenish....sell all the crap keep the good stuff....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I would just consolidate, not sell off the entire collection.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'd be less concerned over firearms rights if Obama won than I would be if Romney won.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll take it with no exceptions!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Keep essentials and ammo

Sell a bunch,  invest in some training.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd rather sell a kidney than any of my firearms.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I plan on buying ammo and a few other firearm's ( mwse & maybe a scar 17s or 16s ) then Im straight to a bass pro shop and getting a boat
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Or if Romney wins, you can wait until he signs a gun ban.  If Obama wins, and he continues to destroy this country...That will be a great time to sell; black market prices are a great way to make money.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Lease a table at a local gunshow.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm considering selling off my collection of about 40 firearms,

You seem to fail on the notion that fire arms are to buy, collect, use, and keep. There is no sell part of the equation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top