Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 9:09:47 AM EDT
I live on the back lot of a residential neighborhood.  Most lots are small, so there are houses fairly close by, so shooting is not really an option  My lot is an acre and a half, with a large creek through it.  The creek is in a 50' deep ravine, and there is a wash that goes from the high ground to the creek.  This camera is in the wash.  I regularly see possum, racoons, cats. mice, fox, rabbit, and deer.  Now this guy showed up.  How can I get rid of him without endangering the other critters?   Is there any kind of trap that would only catch a coyote?

Edit:  Finally...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The action that you were trying to perform has failed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Coyotes are notoriously difficult to trap.

I've killed as many coyotes as the next guy, but what's the real problem here? Seeing one coyote one time - via gamecam at night - doesn't mean you have a problem that needs to be dealt with via extraordinary means.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've killed as many coyotes as the next guy, but what's the real problem here? Seeing one coyote one time - via gamecam at night - doesn't mean you have a problem that needs to be dealt with via extraordinary means.

Is there ever only one?  If that is the case, then I agree.  Consider it a hypothetical question.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]
poison him....

This wont make sense... but they LOVE watermelon... all my friends that hunt yotes swear by it
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
poison him....

Didn't you at least bother to read the OP? He said he doesn't want to endanger the other wildlife.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Crossbow?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
RPG. You have to be thorough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
call the Sons of Guns guys and tell them you need a "game changer".
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Crossbow?

I could actually pop him with a .22 safely, from the right angle.  The problem would be getting him to come close enough, when I'm ready for him.  If he becomes a regular visitor, that, or a bow may be the answer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Crossbow or a suppressed .22 mag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Coyotes are an invasive species on the east coast.

VA DGIF is telling people to shoot them on site: http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/kinggeorge/2012/01/05/game-officials-if-you-can-shoot-a-coyote-by-all-means-do-it/

King George County officials have made it clear that it’s fine to shoot coyotes, even with high-powered rifles that aren’t allowed during hunting season.
“If you can shoot a coyote, by all means, do it, as long as it’s a safe and ethical shot,” said Mike Dye, a district wildlife biologist with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
“We have no problems with it, absolutely not.”
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suppressor.

This, but not for another 4-6 months, from what I'm hearing.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Nuke him from orbit.

Duh....

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have found 40mm HEDP works great on 'yotes. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
50 BMG
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#19]
unless you have cats, what's one coyote going to do? If you really need it dead, however...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I carry a Mini14 Ranch Rifle in the truck to kill coyotes. I just pull over and shoot them when I see them.
If it is around the house, get a 22 LR semi auto rifle and put a few in it's guts.
You want to kill it. It doesn't matter if it dies right there.
It's preferable to have it go crawl into a hole and die instead of you having to pick it up and haul it off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there ever only one?  If that is the case, then I agree.  Consider it a hypothetical question.

Sure. I mean, I hear coyotes howling almost every night. They're around. No big deal. As long as they aren't particularly bold or numerous, they don't bother much.

However, if I start to see one during the day - or worse, more than one together or one near the house - then boundaries are being tested. That usually does not work out well for Mr. Coyote, assuming I can shoot straight on that particular day.

Given the parameters of your hypothetical question, though...traps and poison are probably not a good idea. Someone will likely suggest a crossbow or similar, but that coyote will likely run off with an arrow sticking out of him, which can be difficult to explain later. I can tell you that the preferred solution by many old-timers was a single .22LR placed in a region where the coyote would expire elsewhere. A single .22LR report is rarely noted - much less recognized as the report of a firearm - in many areas. I do not condone nor suggest this very inhumane (and almost certainly illegal) practice. In fact, I think your best option here is to live and let live. But you asked a hypothetical question and I'm offering a hypothetical answer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for Crossbow on the off chance you have one.  .22lr with subsonic ammo fired from inside the house to muffle the noise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Generally a single gunshot doesn't get much attention.  I probably wouldn't shy away from a well-placed 5.56 for a coyote.  

Generally people's reaction to a single gunshot is "what was that?....  *shrug*" and back to what they were doing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#24]
For safety and noise concerns,  around my house I use a .17HMR and headshoot them.

.22s tend to richochet a little much for me and I feel a little more comfortable with a 20 gr pill with houses, equipment and horses nearby.

Shot placement is critical.  I only shoot if the shot is good on a stationary target.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#25]
eta...wrong page lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. I mean, I hear coyotes howling almost every night. They're around. No big deal. As long as they aren't particularly bold or numerous, they don't bother much.

However, if I start to see one during the day - or worse, more than one together or one near the house - then boundaries are being tested. That usually does not work out well for Mr. Coyote, assuming I can shoot straight on that particular day.

Given the parameters of your hypothetical question, though...traps and poison are probably not a good idea. Someone will likely suggest a crossbow or similar, but that coyote will likely run off with an arrow sticking out of him, which can be difficult to explain later. I can tell you that the preferred solution by many old-timers was a single .22LR placed in a region where the coyote would expire elsewhere. A single .22LR report is rarely noted - much less recognized as the report of a firearm - in many areas. I do not condone nor suggest this very inhumane (and almost certainly illegal) practice. In fact, I think your best option here is to live and let live. But you asked a hypothetical question and I'm offering a hypothetical answer.

Actually, the way he was heading, he would have had to pass within about 40 feet of my house, and likely my neighbors.  One, or several .22 rounds popping off would certainly raise no alarm.  My bathroom window overlooks my back yard from the second floor, and I have motion lights in the back.   I guess if he persists, I'll set up the alarm from the camera, prop a rifle in the bathroom, and nuke him from orbit, like someone suggested.

ETA:  Hypothetically.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crossbow?

I could actually pop him with a .22 safely, from the right angle.  The problem would be getting him to come close enough, when I'm ready for him.  If he becomes a regular visitor, that, or a bow may be the answer.

Have a treestand?  Get yourself a road kill rabbit, a rabbit in distress call plus .22lr (maybe Aguila SSS) and set up an ambush over the wash.  The SSS will be fairly quiet especially out of a bolt action, sit tight for several minutes after the shot and I bet know one would no where it came from.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Actually, the way he was heading, he would have had to pass within about 40 feet of my house, and likely my neighbors.  One, or several .22 rounds popping off would certainly raise no alarm.  My bathroom window overlooks my back yard from the second floor, and I have motion lights in the back.   I guess if he persists, I'll set up the alarm from the camera, prop a rifle in the bathroom, and nuke him from orbit, like someone suggested.

ETA:  Hypothetically.

Understood. 40 feet is a little too close for comfort for me as well, but I still doubt I would be bothered enough to be messing around with him in the middle of the night.

Though misses haunt my dreams, a miss is often as good as a hit in terms of ridding yourself of a pesky coyote. A bullet whizzing over their back educates them real fast that they are unwelcome. It also leaves a nearly-indelible mark on their psyche. Bad if you're collecting pelts, but good if you want to be rid of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#29]
shotgun
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Either a) risk one single shot from a .22lr, with a good backstop, or b) live with the coyote.

The other night one walked down the road past my house and I was actually sort of glad; our neighborhood has WAY too many cats and mr. Coyote will get no grief from me if he eats a cat or twelve.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]
There is more noise from the bullet striking than there is from a 22 LR shot out of a long barreled 22.
If you hit flesh it makes a loud THWACK.
We had a well known firearms distributor in my area lay out waiting for cats raiding his gold fish pond.
He climbed up on the roof of his house with a silenced, select fire 10/22 equipped with night vision.
That was going to an extreme IMO but his neighborhood ended up missing several cats over the next week.
Get after that coyote. You'll probably be saving somebody's pet by killing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There is more noise from the bullet striking than there is from a 22 LR shot out of a long barreled 22.
If you hit flesh it makes a loud THWACK.
We had a well known firearms distributor in my area lay out waiting for cats raiding his gold fish pond.
He climbed up on the roof of his house with a silenced, select fire 10/22 equipped with night vision.
That was going to an extreme IMO but his neighborhood ended up missing several cats over the next week.
Get after that coyote. You'll probably be saving somebody's pet by killing it.

There is little doubt of that.  I see cats on that camera a couple of times a week.  Actually, I wouldn't mind not seeing those, but they don't bother me.  I'm surprised the fox hasn't gotten them.  I did see a possum with no tail a couple of weeks ago.    There are subdivisions all around me, as well as some fields and woods, but small patches, and far apart.   If the coyote was finding enough to eat elsewhere, I wouldn't think he would be here amongst the houses.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#33]
.17hmr  1 shot, SSS
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just give him some tnt and an acme rocket. He will take care of himself.

Best answer.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top