Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2001 10:24:48 PM EDT
Ok guys, a friend gave me some of this ammo and it ihas a green tip. Is it regular ball amoo with a nice painted finish? Or is it AP?

What else can you tell me about it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
M855 is a specification for ammunition using the SS109 steel core bullet. It's not AP. The steel core, combined with the additional 7 grains of weight, gives greater penetration at longer range. If the bullet is attracted to a magnet, it's SS109. Considering the difference in price between M855 and M193, I don't know anyone who would go to the trouble of painting the tip of the bullet green. Also, check with your range master before shooting it. Some ranges forbid SS109 due to the fire hazard associated with the steel penetrator bouncing off of rocks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top