Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:24:03 AM EDT

An 82-year-old Windsor man was charged with the illegal killing of a
black bear on his property Wednesday, according to the Connecticut
Department of Energy and Environmental Protection agency (DEEP).

John G. Rocha, of Poquonock Avenue, was apprehended by Environmental
Conservation (EnCon) officers at his home when they were alerted by
Windsor Police that a bear had allegedly been shot and killed on Rocha's
property, according to DEEP.

<snip>
Rocha was charged by EnCon with negligent hunting, in addition to the charge of illegally killing a black bear.

According to DEEP, Rocha was "released on a promise to appear in Enfield Superior Court on January 17."

State and federal places firearms into four categories: handguns, long guns, assualt weapons and machine guns.

Per Connecticut law, long guns (rifles and shotguns) are the only category for which one needs no permit or certificate.

Whole lotta in the comments section
http://manchester.patch.com/articles/windsor-man-charged-with-killing-black-bear-at-home

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Silly Canadians.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
is he in DEEP SHIT ?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a time in this country, not long ago, where if an animal came onto your property and started screwing around- you killed it.   This man is from that time.  It wasn't him that changed, it was the world that did.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone want to bet he was either feeding it or had neighbors that were feeding it via trash/birdfeeders/intentional feeding?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There was a time in this country, not long ago, where if an animal came onto your property and started screwing around- you killed it.   This man is from that time.  It wasn't him that changed, it was the world that did.

Nutshell.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anyone want to bet he was either feeding it or had neighbors that were feeding it via trash/birdfeeders/intentional feeding?

If you read the article it says he shot it because it was messing with his birdfeeder in the tree.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Silly Canadians.

Windsor, CT.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you read the article it says he shot it because it was messing with his birdfeeder in the tree.

Readin is for FAGGOTS!

I am sure he was not the only one in the neighbor hood that the bear was feeding off of.  The guy should never have shot the bear.  Hell we had a guy get convicted here for shooting a bear that was going after his dogs.

I do my part and harvest any bear that I legally can.  Population has exploded in the past 20 years
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Windsor is mostly a city area, you wouldn't expect a bear there.   I have a buddy who lives in Hartland and they have been having all kinds of bear problems.   There is a state forest up the road from his house and they drop off these bears that they catch like the one that got shot.   I guess they tag them and can track them.    He said the one ranger had a device that could show their location.   One of his neighbors got busted for killing a bear and they came right to his house and said, "Alright, where's the bear?"   He didn't get charged with anything because the bear was getting into his barn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Why is it relevant that teh bear is BLACK?  If it were a WHITE bear, would you guys be screaming "GOOD SHOOT!!1!"?  I think not!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm really tired of all these laws turning people into felons (potentially) or gun crime misdemeanors for shooting animals encroaching on them.  I'm not talking poachers, but it seems like nowadays, a dangerous animal living and getting used to humans in close proxemics is a potential recipe for death and injury.  And for every bear killed, a full blown homicide investigation in now launched.  Most of those comments there are  ludicrios as well.

I'm not even saying that things could have been handled potentially better-I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing about these laws being applied in this manner.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Amen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#14]
82 year old probably used his garand from Korea.  And shot it better than someone  1/3 his age.

Good shoot

Fuck bears

Fuck Windsor

And fuck DEP for releasing bears in his backyard.  

The good news is that silencers are still legal in CT.  The bad news is that even with a can, and even in rural areas, a can isn't going to hide much when you touch off a .30cal. You never see or hear from DEP fishcops until an animal dies and all of a sudden, there they are
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

82 year old probably used his garand from Korea.  And shot it better than someone  1/3 his age.

Good shoot

Fuck bears

Fuck Windsor

And fuck DEP for releasing bears in his backyard.  

The good news is that silencers are still legal in CT.  The bad news is that even with a can, and even in rural areas, a can isn't going to hide much when you touch off a .30cal. You never see or hear from DEP fishcops until an animal dies and all of a sudden, there they are

Meow sir, you did know that killing black bears in this state is illegal, right?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top