Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 6:43:40 AM EDT
"I've got two guns in my hand - is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door? I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?" - Sarah McKinley, talking to a 911 dispatcher when two men broke in her home. The woman hid out in a room, and when one of the intruders barged in, McKinley shot him to death. Police called the shooting justified.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x1819710341/Today-in-the-news-Mom-shoots-intruder-after-911-says-it-s-OK-to-defend-herself#axzz1ib7uMA56
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, this hasn't been discussed here before...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
And I guess because you have an avatar you worthless post is valid?

Quoted:
Gee, this hasn't been discussed here before...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
And you will have to disguise your voice and claim to be an single mom with a baby to get permission.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
She even met the duty to retreat criteria.  If that wasn't a good shoot, then we might as well throw our guns away.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Give it a rest, guys. (the guys who keep asking this question, I mean)   The girl is 18 years old, has a newborn baby, and lost her husband to cancer a week earlier.  Taking another life in self-defense is probably not something she's given a lot of thought to in her life.  It's a huge decision to pull the trigger on another person... her instincts were excellent, and I think the voice on the other end was probably just reassurance for her.
Of course you don't NEED to ask.  She just happened to have the question come out of her mouth when she was in a moment of extreme duress.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
3rd dupe
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Give it a rest, guys. (the guys who keep asking this question, I mean)   The girl is 18 years old, has a newborn baby, and lost her husband to cancer a week earlier.  Taking another life in self-defense is probably not something she's given a lot of thought to in her life.  It's a huge decision to pull the trigger on another person... her instincts were excellent, and I think the voice on the other end was probably just reassurance for her.

Of course you don't NEED to ask.  She just happened to have the question come out of her mouth when she was in a moment of extreme duress.  

[COC Violation - Logic and reason in GD]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#8]
She's an 18 year old ,with a  3 month old baby, who just buried her husband and was facing 2 armed intruders bent on doing her harm. I'd say she kept a pretty clear head. Is she supposed to be able to quote chapter and verse the Oklahoma statute?

ETA: Beat by Bed_Head
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Very well said.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The OP is in Connecticut.

He probably does need permission, and a note from his parents.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#11]
dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top