Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2012 3:53:14 AM EDT
Iv been reading of all the posts beating up on Red Jacket and American Gun,  Heres my 2 Cents.

Sure some folks on the  shows come off as Clownish... But think of this... They are likable and based on the ratings people enjoy watching.

Don't you think shows like this help our cause?  The more people that watch these shows the more might actually jump in and purchase a gun.

In the eyes of a knowledgeable gun owner we all know these shows are all fluff but as the same time i think they are good for us as a whole...

Who knows thee shows might have increased gun purchase this year. Its about time we as a community are shown in a family types and not loons running around the woods eating MRE's and watching for the world to fall into darkness.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Paige just turned 18

I predict a ratings swing
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a few people that tell me about the shows that nevew owned guns before.....They love the show and want to buy guns now.......
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the shows suck for people like us who are hard core gun enthusiasts, but if it gets the attention of a non-gun owner and makes them want to buy a gun or twelve, then I'm glad these shows are on.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Two shows about gun stores that rely heavily on the owner/manager whoring out their daughters for T.V., scenes of unsafe handling and shady practices.

This type of thing is a concern too:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1267812_Red_Jacket_lost_ffl_.html

I don't think this brings firearm ownership to the mainstream any more than any other scripted drama.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:08:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, this should be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I watch Sons of Guns once in a while. I don't see what all the bashing and teeth gnashing is about, except a bunch super tacticals complaining about how much smarter they are.

They're goofy and Stephanie won't be on the cover of Playboy anytime soon, but the reality of the situation is theyre just real people on a tv show with producers trying to get ratings.

Outside of the operators on Arfcom, they're likeable and normal. If it were as cool as Arfcom thinks it should be, no one would watch.

I think they help the cause by being entertaining enough to get the average Joe to focus on guns a few hours a week. Normal people don't know the difference.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm just happy that guns are now main stream.  America seems to be shifting toward embracing the 2nd instead of loathing it.  As for the shows, I view them as entertainment.  That is all.  Ocassionally I learn something, but mostly I just pass the time watching them.  If I want an education, I will watch other, more educational shows about guns.  It's no different than Arfcom.  When I want an education, I visit the tech forums.  When I want entertainment, I hang out in GD.  Guess where I spend most of my time
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure I want morons who are into that type of BS show to be on the firing line with me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I see the shows as a way to bring guns into the mainstream and for that, they should be commended.  How anyone who has been around guns for a while can watch them, though, is beyond me.  I think the shows are boring and way too obvious in the scripting.  Maybe that will improve over time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

I realize young ass is young ass, but she looks like a goose. If people watch that show for her they are the same dudes that buy girls gone wild videos. If you are gonna look at titties look at titties.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I think Sons of Guns helps with the NFA aspect a little.

I work as a machinist for a company in the firearms industry,  and even employees in the industry are pretty dense to laws.  One of the Fudds was talking to me during our break about how he saw the show, and didn't know that "silencers" were legal.  I informed him that I have a few,  and of the process involved to get one.  I even brought my .22lr can in to show off to him.

Now he thinks that suppressors are pretty cool,  and might consider getting one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I like to watch every now and then just to see what fun toys they are playing with. And yay to Paige turning 18
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I want morons who are into that type of BS show to be on the firing line with me.

We all had to start somewhere. I mean we didn't all just pick up an AR and turn into tier one elite operators. Sure there may be a few nimrods out there but hell we already have plenty of them. Not to mention there are plenty here that I would question being on the firing line with.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

I predict a swing around a pole and lots of tats
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I watch Sons of Guns once in a while. I don't see what all the bashing and teeth gnashing is about, except a bunch super tacticals complaining about how much smarter they are.

They're goofy and Stephanie won't be on the cover of Playboy anytime soon, but the reality of the situation is theyre just real people on a tv show with producers trying to get ratings.

Outside of the operators on Arfcom, they're likeable and normal. If it were as cool as Arfcom thinks it should be, no one would watch.

I think they help the cause by being entertaining enough to get the average Joe to focus on guns a few hours a week. Normal people don't know the difference.

I see what you did there...............

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I watch them both and enjoy them.  They are both corny and and a little over the top at times, but's they are still great fun to watch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I would like to wear that blonde girls ass as a hat (when shes 18 of course )...........and as the father of a three year old girl, Id also like to smack her father in the face for whoring her out like that......but if he didnt, I wouldnt want to strap her to my face like a feedbag.

Confusing

Jeez, it was so much simpler when I wasnt a father.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

I realize young ass is young ass, but she looks like a goose. If people watch that show for her they are the same dudes that buy girls gone wild videos. If you are gonna look at titties look at titties.

Amen to that. She has future coke whore titty dancer written all over her.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

Probably will make a lot more than selling guns.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
So any publicity is good publicity ?  

Meh. . . . I'll thank them for squat .
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I agree that the shows suck for people like us who are hard core gun enthusiasts, but if it gets the attention of a non-gun owner and makes them want to buy a gun or twelve, then I'm glad these shows are on.  

Agreed.

I find this is true with a lot of things.  I watched that movie 'unstoppable' about the trains...Well, being the son of a man that spent his entire live driving and working with trains...i thought the movie sucked.  So many inaccuracies....but for a purely entertainment value, if you don't know anything about trains...it was a good movie...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would like to wear that blonde girls ass as a hat (when shes 18 of course )...........and as the father of a three year old girl, Id also like to smack her father in the face for whoring her out like that......but if he didnt, I wouldnt want to strap her to my face like a feedbag.

Confusing

Jeez, it was so much simpler when I wasnt a father.

winner winner chicken dinner. My daughter is 2
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Jesus H Christ it's T.V.......brand new rope and all....known alot of beatuful woman that run a business and don't swing on a pole and known alot that did swing on a pole and started a good business and put themselves thru college....their undertone is buy a gun its fun...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#26]
This new dude seems to consistently live on opposite day based on his posts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, on the episode I saw last night with the flame thrower, it looks like her grill got fixed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Do the antics by the braincases at Orange County Choppers make the motorcycling community stronger?

Did Boyd Coddington's behavior on American Hot Rod improve the perception of the automobile hot rodding community?   How about those fine upstanding folks at West Coast Customs?

Hacksaw gunsmithing jobs (e.g. eyeballing headspace) and misrepresenting Tapco abominations as stuff "that will help our folks in the sandbox" do not make us look good.  Ever.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had non-gun people approach me and talk about the shows.

These same non-gun people are now curious about owning firearms.

This is a good thing IMO.

I don't understand members here who insist on bashing the women on these shows.  It's classless and juvenile (we do have lots of teen/early 20's members here I guess) especially when those women and/or their coworkers are members here.

I don't watch either show.  I don't care for Wyatt pimping his daughter out in earlier episodes of AG.  But it's been my experience that these shows are getting more people interested in gun ownership.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Playboy is circling the drain.  They will try anything to gain readers.  And yes, I realized how inaccurate the term "reader" is
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#31]
My 8 yo loves the show.  I'm a mechanical engineer in my day job and, no kidding––and call me a know-it-all or a better-than-them ass if it pleases––but some of what they do is simply painful to watch from a technical perspective.  I watch with my boy anyway and think how much they could use a real engineer (who has the right accent), but soon after I'm thinking that, I'm thinking I'm not sure they'd know what to do with one, and by the looks of it, they seem to do well enough without.  Of course, I know none of them.  It could all be a put-on for all I know.

P.S.

The OP's point is well taken.  It seems to have a positive effect on at least one 8 yo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't you think shows like this help our cause?  The more people that watch these shows the more might actually jump in and purchase a gun.
In the eyes of a knowledgeable gun owner we all know these shows are all fluff but as the same time i think they are good for us as a whole...

Who knows these shows might have increased gun purchase this year. Its about time we as a community are shown in a family types and not loons running around the woods eating MRE's and watching for the world to fall into darkness.

I agree.  Mythbusters also helped.  

Mythbusters often features guns - and the safe use of guns.  Many see Mythbusters as "cool," urban-dwelling, black clothing-clad hipsters.  And many probably emulate them
to a small degree by responsibly shooting and enjoying firearms.  

GD can complain all they want.  Despite the obvious flaws in these reality shows, they are a net plus for the growth of a law abiding gun owning community (please spare me the comments about the recent FFL drama.  No one is perfect).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do the antics by the braincases at Orange County Choppers make the motorcycling community stronger?

Did Boyd Coddington's behavior on American Hot Rod improve the perception of the automobile hot rodding community?   How about those fine upstanding folks at West Coast Customs?

Hacksaw gunsmithing jobs (e.g. eyeballing headspace) and misrepresenting Tapco abominations as stuff "that will help our folks in the sandbox" do not make us look good.  Ever.

You are missing OP's point.  These shows are not about "improving our reputation."  OP is merely pointing out that these shows effectively make non gun owners curious about owning guns (despite all the flaws in the shows).

OCC and Boyd Coddington (RIP) probably DID increase ownership of custom harleys and custom vintage cars.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Hell yes those increased gun sales.  I've always been delayed on my background checks.  It used to be 30 to 45 minutes back in the 90s.  Then it went to 2 to 3 hours after Obama.  The last two times took three mother fucking days because of all the mother fuckers out there buying guns.  It's fucking incredible.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

I have never watched a full episode of the show and I've only seen a few clips (not magazines). I don't care about the bashing of the owner/proprietor, but dumb fucking comments like this really disappoint me. I like to think that the members of this great forum are a step above the rest of the disrespectful ingrates of society, but then people like you come along to remind me that it has more than its fair share of disrespectful assholes. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#36]
If you take them for what they are "TV shows" with a relate-able theme they are enjoyable "comedy's".
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Paige just turned 18

She's still a 5 at best.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The problem isn't the shows, it's the editing that makes it look like you can make or buy full auto or anything really with basic tools and smash it with a hammer. And the lack of safe gun handling.

It's just full of herp, derp, and redneck.

Plus the fact they're full of shit like the 1000yrd AK. My ass they were shooting 1000 yards and it wasn't even a real AK (7.62X39).

You can make a solid gun based reality show and not have it go full retard like Sons of Guns. "Eyeball dat headspace yo it's not an important mesurmant!""
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I think as many people who watch it and say "Whoa, that's cool, I want one of those", there are just as many who listen to the "We're experts, don't you try this at home" and are thinking "Guns are too dangerous for anyone to own".

As a somewhat flawed analogy, I doubt anyone watched Crocodile Hunter and thought "Man, I'm going down to the pet store and get me one of those beauties!".  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm no expert but I think the gunsmiths at Gunsmoke (American Guns) seem kind of competent and rational.  Even the owner can be impressive with his gun knowledge and shooting ability.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I have had several libtard 2nd amendment hating people come in within the last month to purchase their first gun. They usually ask "Do you watch sons of guns?"

I grit my teeth and reply "Yes...it's my favorite show"

That is salesmanship at its best.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think as many people who watch it and say "Whoa, that's cool, I want one of those", there are just as many who listen to the "We're experts, don't you try this at home" and are thinking "Guns are too dangerous for anyone to own".

As a somewhat flawed analogy, I doubt anyone watched Crocodile Hunter and thought "Man, I'm going down to the pet store and get me one of those beauties!".  

Actually, wathcing too much croc hunter made me want to wrestle a croc one time when I was in FL, so I did, no one else would join in the pussies. So too much herp on TV can lead to people getting hurt, or having alot of fun
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Paige just turned 18

(j/k)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

Ok...the problem with that is what?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#45]
My girlfriend, while pro-RKBA, is not the least bit interested in shooting guns.  She's done it in the past, but has no desire to do it any more.

She thinks the crew at SoG is a bunch of inbred-ass rednecks who give gun owners a bad name.  They are definitely not doing anything to sway her desire to pick up a gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#46]
No, their reckless approach to guns will get the ill informed in trouble, and have the sheeple believing that indeed every stereotype is true.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a friend who builds custom bikes and cars. He was always amazed at the level of retardation on American Chopper. I just always remember him blowing a gasket when Vinny or Jr would start pulling wires or soldering over a freshly painted tank or newly installed chrome parts. He would point out the asshatery because of his knowledge in doing it in the correct way.  As someone who doesn't know how to build a chopper I watch the show entirely from a different point of view. IMHO Most gun enthusiasts don't like the show because they see flaws or incorrect procedures and makes them blow a gasket but to the person who does not know anything about guns see it differently.

It's fun to make fun of the characters of both shows and some of the douchebaggery that goes on has to taken with a grain of salt. These are not documentaries they are scripted reality shows, once you accept that it makes watching it a little easier on the blood pressure. The fact that both shows are in prime time slots, have extremely high ratings and continue to bring in viewership can only be a positive thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paige just turned 18

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I have looked at both shows and decided real quick tht I will not watch them.  They are just fake drama, reality tv shows that happen to have guns in them.
Do I think the shows help our cause?  Hell no!  Any one with half a brain can see the subtle tone to the show and how it is designed to make us look.
I'll be glad when they are gone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Curiosity got the best of me and I Googled Paige.

Hmmm, yes. I approve. DVR set.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top