Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:11:13 PM EDT
*** I was wrong. Newegg is legit. My computer was the culprit. Update added to OP***

My card number has been compromised. I have reason to believe that it may have been someone who works for newegg.com who stole it... Sounds crazy I know, but bear with me for a moment.

So, today I found four fraudulent charges on my account. I first knew something foul was afoot when I went to get cash for a haircut and on the ATM receipt I noticed my account was around $400 dollars light.  Last purchase on the account was via Newegg.com and I had not used the card or number since. I checked my account when I got home and sure enough there they were.

The Newegg purchase, plus all four of said charges. All in reverse chronological order as shown on my online account summary:

A) I am very out of shape and I don't care, B) I don't use skype, and C) My cell provider has been Tmobile since before my three year old was born.

At first I was obviously pissed and wrote it off as just something that can happen when you shop online. It wasn't too long after dealing with cancelling the card and getting another issued, when the effects of watching too many old detective tv series with my wife kicked in. Yeah I've watched all the Murder She Wrote that Netflix has to offer. Wanna fight about it?  Anyway, It turns out that the second fraudulent charge to post (Verizon Wireless) originated in Warren NJ. So fucking what, right? So what is that my order from newegg shipped from Edison, NJ, which happens s to be about 10 mins away, via google maps, from Warren, NJ, where the Verizon transaction originated.

UPS/Newegg shipping info:

Googlemaps of Newegg shipping point and the location shown for the fraudulent Verizon charge

Yes, I do know that my card number could have been obtained elsewhere, since I do shop online, and it could be a coincidence that these two transactions originated so close to one another. Newegg's network or website may have been compromised, by a hacker that lives in NJ, minutes away from their distribution center (what are the odds lol). It does seem more likely, to me at least, that some shitbag who works for newegg stole my info and used it for their own personal gain..

I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow, besides the usual disputing of the charges once they clear. I'm going to see what info I can get from Verizon and let them know that the transaction is fraudulent, since they were nice enough to post the transaction ID on the memo (redacted in teh img). I'm also going to call newegg if I do get anywhere with VZW, as far as the identity of the theif, which is unlikely. If I do get the theif's ID I'll pass it along and let Newegg know that they may have criminal working for them who is stealing from their customers.

If anyone has experience with disputing the charges, how long does it take to get the money back? It would be nice to get it back soon, since I was going to use most of that to replace some wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and get an alignment. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Those bad tie rod ends sort of snuck up on me. Fuck I hate god damned thieves.

Sorry for the poor image quality.

TL;DR PSA to anyone who shops at newegg.com. It would be wise to watch your accounts. lol

Update:

Back with good news. As other's have suggested in this thread, I was wrong. It seems in my state of anger I was too quick to point fingers. My fault and my bad. Still, the 10 min driving distance between the Newegg shipping point and the VZW charge was an odd coincidence with some crazy odds.

The Verizon charge was indeed someone who called in to pay their bill and their own fraud department took care of it, it just didn't reflect the credit to my account until this afternoon. Whoever got my info apparently still owes Verizon $320.97.  

A phone call to customer support at bodybuilding.com took care of that one, a helpful and very sexy voiced bunch they were I might add. Active Ashley, what a name for a customer service rep lol.

The skype charges aren't that big of a deal now that the big ones are taken care of. The account manager I spoke with at my bank insists I'll get my money back either way, though I first have to wait until they clear. I just have to sign a form and I get the money back instantly while they resolve it.

Quoted:
OP, update your anti virus and do the deepest scan possible of your computer.  I'm quite sure a trojan or keylogger is how my debit card was compromised.

This is exactly what it was. There was a trojan with all kinds of nasty spyware etc. Sadly, the combination of Malwarebytes, Avast, and McAfee couldn't prevent or even detect it. I'm not very trusting so I went with your advice and tried another program. Luckily for me SUPERantispyware did the trick.

It appears someone on my desktop's non password protected guest account, with no admin priveledges, was up to no good and compromised my PC. Again, it nothing to do with Newegg at all. I suspect my younger brother. Lesson learned, shit's on lockdown down. Nobody is using my stuff without my discerning eyes looking over their shoulder.

I've got to give it to the the bad guys on their ingenuity though. Their methods are amazing in a technical sense. Whoever made tools they use is a very crafty and intelligent mofo.

ETA: Oh, and what better way to spend the money I got back, eh?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up JIC
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to block out the other tracking number, Master Detective.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
have you let Newegg know?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost spent several hundred dollars on newegg this afternoon, actually. Glad I shopped elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If anyone has experience with disputing the charges, how long does it take to get the money back? It would be nice to get it back soon, since I was going to use most of that to replace some wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and get an alignment. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Those bad tie rod ends sort of snuck up on me. Fuck I hate god damned thieves.

I assume that this is a Check/Debit card? Your bank will probably need you to fill out a little paperwork, and you may need to file a police report. In the case of the latter, definitely forward what you have found to the police. My mother just had to deal with this a few months ago and had her money back the very next day. YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear about it.  I've had my credit card number misappropriated once and used at a French website.    Never had my debit card compromised so I can't answer your question as to how long it takes to get your cash back into your account ... I've only used my debit card once or twice as a debit card (ever) because I'm afraid of my bank account getting hit.  If it's the same as a credit card, you shouldn't be out more than two business days or so after you file the paperwork.  I just filled out an affidavit for the charges, got it notarized and mailed it in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a man that appreciates some good sleuthing, I would say your TV detective training time was well spent.

lol yep. It was actually who my wife who got me started on this, she always asks too many questions.  I think she read too many Nancy Drew.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Equally likely that your info was granted locally when you swyped your card at a local brick and mortar store.  I've heard of thirds running your card through a machine that wasn't the store's machine but a dummy one just collecting customer info.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good eye. Yes I'm tired and did it as a precaution. I suppose I shouldn't really care too much if anyone knows which town I live in, you know, since there is much more crucial personal info of mine floating around out there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
have you let Newegg know?  

Not yet. I just barely made it to the bank for the new card and by the time I got home and thought all this up, Newegg's customer care was done for the day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I almost spent several hundred dollars on newegg this afternoon, actually. Glad I shopped elsewhere.

The egg is but a shell of its former self.  Ever since they sold out, they're meh.  I rarely buy there anymore and I used to buy everything computer-related there.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good eye. Yes I'm tired and did it as a precaution. I suppose I shouldn't really care too much if anyone knows which town I live in, you know, since there is much more crucial personal info of mine floating around out there.

Someone with a lot of spare time and nothing better to do could get the address just from what was given.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume that this is a Check/Debit card? Your bank will probably need you to fill out a little paperwork, and you may need to file a police report. In the case of the latter, definitely forward what you have found to the police. My mother just had to deal with this a few months ago and had her money back the very next day. YMMV.

Yep it was a debit card. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The Edison location is just a warehouse; if the freight lumpers really have access to an order's payment information then NewEgg has some real fundamental problems with their order management system.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone with a lot of spare time and nothing better to do could get the address just from what was given.

Good point. Fixed.

ETA: I think I got it this time. It only took a few hints. At first I thought you meant the one in the address bar. I think that's my cue to go the heck to sleep. lol, Master Detective. Nice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Edison location is just a warehouse; if the freight lumpers really have access to an order's payment information then NewEgg has some real fundamental problems with their order management system.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. Like I said it could be coincidence. I have had Newegg orders shipped from nearby Secaucus, NJ as well. Could Newegg have a regional order processing type facilty in the area as well? I may very well be jumping to some huge conclusions. Either way I'll figure out what's what tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good point. Fixed.

Erm. Check again.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting screename.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting screename.

There's another nickname for Richard.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never ever ever ever use a debit card online. You only have 24-48 hours to dispute any charges. After that basically all banks/credit unionsd will tell you to get bent and won't get you your money back.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a prepaid Visa to buy anything online for this reason.  I add the amount I need to make my purchases,  after that,  good luck assholes.  Rinse,  repeat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Having your credit/debit card used fraudulently often has nothing to do with the last place you used it.  I've encountered people who haven't used a card in months or years that all the sudden have fraud on them.  Cards that were so new they weren't even activated yet.  Basically, if the card number exists somebody can find it.  Just because newegg is the last place you used it doesn't mean someone who works there stole your credit card number.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry, I have to yell this:

NEVER USE A DEBIT CARD FOR AN ONLINE TRANSACTION.

Use a credit card only. You are pretty well protected if you use a credit card. As the OP has discovered, a compromised debit card means the money is fucking gone man.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Had the same thing happen to me a five years ago...  My CC card company called me and stopped it before anything happened.

I have used Newegg a bunch of tines since then, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never ever ever ever use a debit card online. You only have 24-48 hours to dispute any charges. After that basically all banks/credit unionsd will tell you to get bent and won't get you your money back.  
False.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
so someone paid a verizon bill with stolen info.... verizon.. a phone company. with  name,  address, (maybe social #) and obviously phone number.????...  wow thats stupid criminals for ya...

pretty sure the police would love to put this one in the win pile... considering all the info to catch the idiot is one phone call to verizon.

sorry to hear your info got jacked..

i have 2 accounts.. which might seem odd... but when i need to do online stuff i just dump money into that account. to pay for what im about to order is someone tries to use it otherwise.. there aint no money in it and gets denied...

and whoever said you only have 24 hours... if thats the case find a different bank.  my bank allows something like 45days (time to check the paper statements sent to each person) and has no trouble reversing charges and having the money in your account witihn about 3 days...( my cousin had his bank account drained of over 5k while on vacation... he found out saturday morning.  made a phone call and the money was back in his account that monday
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Use a credit card only. You are pretty well protected if you use a credit card. As the OP has discovered, a compromised debit card means the money is fucking gone man.

Not true.  This happened to me with my debit card last year.  My bank noticed the out of the ordinary transactions and immediately called me.  All I had to do was say it wasn't me who made those purchase, and they took care of it.  I lost $0.

It all depends on your bank.  Mine had some fraud detection system in place that saw I bought gas in VA then the same day spent hundreds of dollars in the UK.  Raised a flag and they immediately went to work on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true at all.  My bank tried to contact me immediately when this happened to me with a debit card.  I never called them back because I was sure it was just a sales pitch for a credit card.

4 days later they just shut down my card.  Then I called and found out my debit card was compromised.  I lost no money, the stuff never even showed up on my account.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, update your anti virus and do the deepest scan possible of your computer.  I'm quite sure a trojan or keylogger is how my debit card was compromised.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

so someone paid a verizon bill with stolen info....

I doubt they paid a bill. What they did do is walk with a new in box cell phone that they'll put on eBay.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Years ago my mom started to have some unauthorized charges to her credit card account. They included things like blockbuster online, and random online orders. Well I started to call the different phone numbers listed for each transaction. With each phone call I was able to gather bits and pieces of information about the person who did it. Each time I called a new place I used the previous information I got to make the next place think I was the person who bought the item and they believed I was him,. I would ask things like "what address do you have listed", then on the next one I would ask "what phone number do you have listed for me?" Well eventually I got the persons full name, phone number, address, etc etc. I called the son of a bitch, and his initial silence proved his guilt to me. He mumbled and tried to make up excuses etc etc. I don't remember the exact conversation, but I swore at that man up and down. He would hang up and I would call back. He theatened to call the police, but he lived in Virgina and I lived in Illinois. I asked him what he would say to the police, and he ended up apoligizing. I called her credit card company and gave them all the information I had gotten, and left it up to them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Funny you say that, I ordered my wifes laptop from Newegg and the next week my card was being used for other nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The same thing happened to us twice.  My wife had two account comprised within a month or so.  This is going to be very frustrating to you but don't expect any help from the vendors or police.  The banks reverse the charges and close the case.  Unless they got you for $10k+ you will never hear anything.

As far as reversing the charges its going to depend on the banks.  The first time it happened to us was wit our Suntrust account.  We had to fill out a form saying it wasn't us and the charges were reversed within 3 days (one day was a Sunday).  The second time was with BOA and was a horrible experience.  This account actually went negative because of the charges so we had to have NSF fees reversed also.  It took about two weeks to get this account situated.  I had a local LEO buddy call BOA and they wouldn't work with him because it was a closed case.  We closed our BOA accounts because they handled it so poorly.

The Suntrust problems tied up about $3,500 and the BOA problems tied up about $6,200.  Watch out for small charges as the punks hit us for a bunch of $1-$10 charges.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#35]
The shipping centers are all over, so you probably did not get compromised through there.  The online site would probably not include your cc info with the shipping order.  I handle these cases pretty regularly and a lot of CC info is stolen from from places like gas stations, restaurants, drug stores, etc..all places where you hand your card to someone making minimum wage and they walk away with it.  Had a case where a woman working for a local drug store was copying cc numbers and going on a shopping spree.  I had 46 victims and this was just a local woman.
That being said, a lot of these online places have been compromised, so using a credit card (NOT YOUR DEBIT CARD!!!!!!) is vital.  Personally, I use PP to pay for my newegg purchases.  That way if I get hit, PP is responsible.  Also, I now have 2 layers of defense against fraud.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Why do people use debit cards for any transaction where they aren't the one swiping the card?  What if that would have sent you into overdraft territory?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The shipping centers are all over, so you probably did not get compromised through there. The online site would probably not include your cc info with the shipping order. I handle these cases pretty regularly and a lot of CC info is stolen from from places like gas stations, restaurants, drug stores, etc..all places where you hand your card to someone making minimum wage and they walk away with it. Had a case where a woman working for a local drug store was copying cc numbers and going on a shopping spree. I had 46 victims and this was just a local woman.

That being said, a lot of these online places have been compromised, so using a credit card (NOT YOUR DEBIT CARD!!!!!!) is vital. Personally,I use PP to pay for my newegg purchases. That way if I get hit, PP is responsible. Also, I now have 2 layers of defense against fraud.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The egg is but a shell of its former self.  Ever since they sold out, they're meh.  I rarely buy there anymore and I used to buy everything computer-related there.

I use Newegg all the time at home and at work.  I haven't noticed a change in quality from them and didn't know anything about a sale.  What problems have you had, and who do you use now?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The egg is but a shell of its former self. Ever since they sold out, they're meh. I rarely buy there anymore and I used to buy everything computer-related there.

I use Newegg all the time at home and at work. I haven't noticed a change in quality from them and didn't know anything about a sale. What problems have you had, and who do you use now? Thanks.

I have never had a problem with them and buy from them all the time.

I switched banks a few months ago and tried to buy a couple things the last few weeks weeks. Card always declined... Finally got around to calling my new bank to ask what was up. They said I will have to call to get a 24hour lift on the ban they have in place for NewEgg charges. I will have to call them everytime I want to buy something. I said thank you, I will be in to collect my money out of your bank and go back to my old bank.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Having your credit/debit card used fraudulently often has nothing to do with the last place you used it.  I've encountered people who haven't used a card in months or years that all the sudden have fraud on them.  Cards that were so new they weren't even activated yet.  Basically, if the card number exists somebody can find it.  Just because newegg is the last place you used it doesn't mean someone who works there stole your credit card number.

This. Your card number was probably stolen weeks/months ago and has been bought/sold several times before someone finally used it. There are literally thousands of ways to access someone's credit card information, and once it's out there, it's passed around dozens of times.

The odds that it was compromised on your most recent purchase before the fraudulent transactions showed up is extremely small. It's just as likely from something 6 months ago, a gas pump from last week, a security issue within your computer, etc. The fact that it was close to a New Egg warehouse is just a coincidence.

ETA: Was the order placed online or by phone? If online, there is no way an employee got your card information. CC processors will no longer allow payment information to be transferred unencrypted from a website into a computer system where employees can view it. They will only see the last 4 digits of your card information, and get an authorization code to charge the card once. They have been implementing this security for the last couple years, but there's no way a company as big as NewEgg is not doing it already.

Quoted:
so someone paid a verizon bill with stolen info.... verizon.. a phone company. with  name,  address, (maybe social #) and obviously phone number.????...  wow thats stupid criminals for ya...

Doubtful. They probably went into a Verizon store and bought phones or accessories to go resell at 50 cents on the dollar. They don't pay their bills with stolen cards. They buy goods to resell and pawn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My card number has been compromised.

That's the great thing about credit cards.

So what?  Call the bank.  They shut off the card, take the charges off of you, and send you a new card.

I don't need to "watch my accounts" extra special because of the item of the day.  I don't need to do anything out of the ordinary.  If bogus charges appear, I call and get it sorted out quickly.  It happens in modern society... no point in me getting bent out of shape over it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Doubtful. They probably went into a Verizon store and bought phones or accessories to go resell at 50 cents on the dollar. They don't pay their bills with stolen cards. They buy goods to resell and pawn.

Working for a utility company, I can tell you that occasionally a dumbass will pay their bill with a stolen card.  Probably makes it easy for the cops to find them.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Funny you say that, I ordered my wifes laptop from Newegg and the next week my card was being used for other nonsense.

Huh. The only time my card's ever been compromised was not long after I bought something on Newegg. This was about four years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#44]
This has happened to me 3 or 4 times over the years.  I use a debit/credit card.  It's a pain in the ass, but call your bank to dispute the charges.  They will give you your money back. You have to fill out some paperwork too.  I've had up to $1,000 lifted before.

The three or four times mine has been compromised it's all been foreign charges, Turkey, England and places I didn't know existed.  This would easily be solved if the bank would restrict international charges, but they say they can't do that.  

It's easy to catch these charges if you have online banking and check your account often.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Once I stopped ordering from Newegg my corporate card hasn't been compromised. I lost a half dozen over the years and at least 3 seem to point to newegg.  you can now use Paypal if you have to. (I am well aware of the anti Bias but Have to use it sometimes)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#46]
i had my debit card compromised once. I had the funds back with in 24 hours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Newegg all the time at home and at work.  I haven't noticed a change in quality from them and didn't know anything about a sale.  What problems have you had, and who do you use now?  Thanks.

They charge shipping on most items now
Their cheap/free shipping is an absolute joke
Their customer service is some of the worst now
Their prices are no longer guaranteed to either be the cheapest online or within 1% of the cheapest, never really had to shop around until this year.

I've spent a ton of money with them over the past 6 years or so and it's sad to see what they've become.  I purchased an SSD with rush processing (preferred account) and next day air shipping and it took a few hours less than seven days to receive it. (Half NewEgg's fault, half UPS' fault)  NewEgg CS didn't even pretend to care.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My debit card was just compromised a couple weeks ago and a couple hundred dollars worth of goods ordered.

HSBC security noticed an unusual pattern of activity, called me, cancelled the card when I confirmed the transactions were fraudulent, and credited the money back to my account.

It happened once in the past and they did the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon has the same prices usually.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Newegg didn't steal your info, there is just no way for it to happen. It was somewhere local or another website.

And stop being a moron and using your debit card.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top