Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:40:46 PM EDT
.......why does DeNeiro ( in the opening stages of the film) stash his pistol behind the crates.......

.......instead of carrying it on his person into the bar?

I understand this is just a movie...

.... and is written (for entertainment purposes only) by people without "warrior mindset", or probably without Military training.

That said, I've racked my brain in search of a good reason to go into that situation unarmed.

I really can't think of a good enough reason to go unarmed.  Anybody have any opinions about this?

Am I right to think of that (stashing pistol, instead of carrying) as a bad move?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In case he was searched.

ETA: Once entering the bar through the front (having a chance to scan the inside area), he made his way to the back door, unlocked it and then positioned himself at the bar, closest to the back door.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The only reason I can see doing that would be if he wasn't supposed to show up armed & was worried about being searched. That way he could attempt to run out the back & try to grab it if he needed to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
When you know there's a good chance you'll be searched while under the gun, you stash on your planned escape route if SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In case he was searched.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In case he was searched.

That's what I always assumed. He was setting up a "Michael Corleone."
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
in case he was searched he could just pose as a dumb tourist who wanted a late night nip.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
"I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of."
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha, I thought of that too....but then I was like, "well, there's no police in the bar".

I wasn't thinking about him being searched by the other folks in the bar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Ice skates, of course.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
He's being hired by very bad people who he was sent to kill (Shamus).

Assumed he would be searched and loose weapon in process.

If he was "renditioned" for any reason, it would most likely be out the backdoor to avoid bystanders.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm surprised he didn't spray all the bullets with teflon before he stashed the gun...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This pretty much explains it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gotcha, I thought of that too....but then I was like, "well, there's no police in the bar".

I wasn't thinking about him being searched by the other folks in the bar.

The whole point of the movie is that all the operatives were former security services from their respective countries that were now mercenaries (Ronin). They would take the appropriate precautions when meeting someone new.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm surprised he didn't spray all the bullets with teflon before he stashed the gun...

Didn't want to really kilt anyone...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Marsellus Wallace's soul.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
He could say he was just a drunk looking for a drink if the wheel chair guy gave bad intel and it wasn't the Irish waiting at the bar.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Boathouse paint.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Snapes killed Dumbledor.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Snapes killed Dumbledor.

He was a ghost...THE WHOLE TIME!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Snapes killed Dumbledor.

It's his sled from when he was a kid.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Standard CIA Protocol, duh.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When you know there's a good chance you'll be searched while under the gun, you stash on your planned escape route if SHTF.

This,  "I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of"
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ice skates, of course.

Nah. He's blind.

Snapes killed Dumbledor.

It's his sled from when he was a kid.

Darth is Anakin, and Luke is his son, and Leia is his sister, and Yoda molests Wookies
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#25]
"If there's doubt there's no doubt."
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
So, what was in the box?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, what was in the box?

Have you not followed the subthread in this thread? Duh, it was a blind pair of ice skates that killed Dumbledor...but they were all dead to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If he was "renditioned" for any reason, it would most likely be out the backdoor to avoid bystanders.

He never left.  He was deep cover CIA.  All of those people he "went to high school with"?  Fellow deep cover agents.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread is definitely relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The only reason I can see doing that would be if he wasn't supposed to show up armed & was worried about being searched. That way he could attempt to run out the back & try to grab it if he needed to.

to what end??
If the people in the bar expected him and he was supposed to be a soldier- wouldn't they expect him to have a gun??

It only makes sense if he went into a bar where they weren't expecting him and he has to pretend t be totally innocent. - and that's assuming the peopel in the bar would be hardcore enough to search a random stranger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

This thread is definitely relevant to my interests.

so you have a head like a box of frogs then

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

to what end??
If the people in the bar expected him and he was supposed to be a soldier- wouldn't they expect him to have a gun??

And if the bar is a setup to grab him?

Layers upon layers.  He wasn't worried about cops, or it just being a bar with no bad people in it.  He was there, pretending to be one thing when he was really another.  What if someone else was playing the same game?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He never left.  He was deep cover CIA.  All of those people he "went to high school with"?  Fellow deep cover agents.

I thought the premise of the movie was warriors without a master. Thus the title Ronin. If he was still in the CIA, the title of the movie wouldn't make sense.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the premise of the movie was warriors without a master. Thus the title Ronin. If he was still in the CIA, the title of the movie wouldn't make sense.

Yeah but you didn't know that til the end now did you?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#35]
This is a good thread.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would Deidre hire him if he had been openly in the CIA.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Japanese legend of the 47 Ronin (which is cited in the movie) relates a tale of 47 retainers whose daimyo was executed under less than ideal circumstances.  Those samurai became ronin (masterless samurai) and pretended to devolve into a degrading life of poverty and misfortune.  However, it was all a ruse.  

Years later all but one* of the ronin organized an assault upon their master's betrayer and killed him.  Afterwards, they committed ritual suicide.  The story became legend in Japan.

To all onlookers, the 47 ronin were masterless because they had no liege.  However, they secretly remained true to their (deceased) liege.  It fits with being a 'deep cover' agent of the CIA in a small way.

*:  Allegedly one of the 47 ronin was late or missed the attack altogether.  I don't know if this is historical fact or not.  The Japanese movie "Chushingura" is a quality film that can shed more light on the story of the 47 Ronin.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
He needed a plan B in case of ambush by a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would Deidre hire him if he had been openly in the CIA.

Everyone she hired had a past. It was my understanding that everyone she hired, including Sam, was a former agent of some organization. No one was open about their past in that movie.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Japanese legend of the 47 Ronin (which is cited in the movie) relates a tale of 47 retainers whose daimyo was executed under less than ideal circumstances.  Those samurai became ronin (masterless samurai) and pretended to devolve into a degrading life of poverty and misfortune.  However, it was all a ruse.  

Years later all but one* of the ronin organized an assault upon their master's betrayer and killed him.  Afterwards, they committed ritual suicide.  The story became legend in Japan.

To all onlookers, the 47 ronin were masterless because they had no liege.  However, they secretly remained true to their (deceased) liege.  It fits with being a 'deep cover' agent of the CIA in a small way.

*:  Allegedly one of the 47 ronin was late or missed the attack altogether.  I don't know if this is historical fact or not.  The Japanese movie "Chushingura" is a quality film that can shed more light on the story of the 47 Ronin.

They must have had good benefits to be that dedicated. Matching 401 or something.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must have had good benefits to be that dedicated. Matching 401 or something.

It is a little known fact that the 47th ronin was late to the attack due to an incident at the Tokugawa-era equivalent of Ryan's Steakhouse.  True story.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#42]
He was in a state where CCW isn't allowe in bars.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spit-food-out funny.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to what end??

And if the bar is a setup to grab him?

Layers upon layers.  He wasn't worried about cops, or it just being a bar with no bad people in it.  He was there, pretending to be one thing when he was really another.  What if someone else was playing the same game?

If they were going to grab him- I think the gun would be more useful if he had it on him, instead of stashed in the alley.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

"Then why are ya gettin' into that van?"

"You know the reason"  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Holy shit that's a lot of line breaks that I had to erase.

Anyway, are you kidding?! They'd go through the magazine and gun!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey... it was 1998. Bill was in the oval office. I think we could have been considered to be lacking a master.... kind of like now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He's being hired by very bad people who he was sent to kill (Shamus Seamus).

Fixed spelling cause I am bored at work. Until seeing the credits, I would have spelled it that way too.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#50]
this was posted on the front door.  It helped make the city safe

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top