Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 7:06:13 PM EDT
My neighbor's son is currently deployed to Afganistan, and my daughter's best friend is a teacher at an elementary school.  The class decided that they wanted to send a care package to his unit during the holiday season.  So the class put together a good amount of food, toiletries, and fun items for the troops.  Well, she went to UPS, FedEx, and DHL to see about shipping it.   The shipping cost was over $800.00!!!!  So she said there was no way that she could afford that.  She emailed the customer service for all three, a. nd the PRESIDENT of the company emailed her back, and told her they would ship it for FREE!!!  So she sent it, and it arrived just in time for the holiday.  I had to share, and say DHL rocks, and thank you to them.  The unit just sent pictures to the class with all the swag.  I will get some posted as soon as I can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit like that makes me smile.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
well done DHL, always like these stories
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Don't do much international shipping  but the people I know that do say DHL is the way to go

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
DHL are good people
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.  I remember seeing lots of DHL birds running cargo into Iraq so I assume they have the same contract in Afghanistan.  Kudos DHL.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
What limited experience I had with them, they were a top notch company too. Too bad they no longer ship domestic Much preferred them over UPS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting fact is that DHL is part of the German Postal Service.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nice.  I remember seeing lots of DHL birds running cargo into Iraq so I assume they have the same contract in Afghanistan.  Kudos DHL.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2zs67f8.jpg

I wonder if that thing is still there...it sat for years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]

GTG!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure where it is located but here's a pic of it now.

ETA: still in Baghdad as of 2011
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That was nice of them, but I still will not use DHL.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/6/8/1909863.jpg

The fuck?

wasn't that in 2003

Not worth fixing ?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
End corporate greed.  Those big companies don't pay their fair share.  Wait what?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?
wasn't that in 2003

Not worth fixing ?

Not worth fixing then with a little wing damage...really not worth fixing now...and I'm surprised it's in that good of shape.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not worth fixing then with a little wing damage...really not worth fixing now...and I'm surprised it's in that good of shape.

Admittedly I know about jackshit about A&P work  but originally it didn't look like much damage

seems like it would have been worth fixing a multi million dollar aircraft instead of strip it and let it sit

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Biggest problem with using fedex, ups or dhl is their limited presence over there. If you aren't on one of the big bases where those companies have a presence, good luck getting your stuff in a timely manner.

Good that dhl helped in this instance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I will send it DHL next time I mail something.  Just for this.  God bless our troops.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?
wasn't that in 2003

Not worth fixing ?

I suppose with the main wingspar being cracked inboard and outboard there is a lot of work to be done. The damage is fairly extesive.  The plane was landed by flying al la United 232 without hydraulics.  The plane definitely is in bad enough shape that it can not be safely patched up enough to be ferried (flown) to a repair center and not having the proper service equipment and personnel to repair it on site and probably no place to do it,  it is cheaper to strip it of the goodies.  Write it off and leave it for dead.

Link with good pics of damage.  
Honestly I'm amazed it made it back intact to the ground.  

I have heard some good stuff about DHL,  It is awsome of them to do what they did.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't USPS still ship flat-rate boxes for free/cheap?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?
wasn't that in 2003

Not worth fixing ?

I suppose with the main wingspar being cracked inboard and outboard there is a lot of work to be done. The damage is fairly extesive.  The plane was landed by flying al la United 232 without hydraulics.  The plane definitely is in bad enough shape that it can not be safely patched up enough to be ferried (flown) to a repair center and not having the proper service equipment and personnel to repair it on site and probably no place to do it,  it is cheaper to strip it of the goodies.  Write it off and leave it for dead.

Link with good pics of damage.  
Honestly I'm amazed it made it back intact to the ground.  

I have heard some good stuff about DHL,  It is awsome of them to do what they did.

I just read up on that story..Damn that's pretty crazy that they got it landed all safe with no damage to anything on the ground..Had no flight controls at all and could only guide it with thrust
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
With all the horror stories I have heard about dhl I thought this was going to be a sarcastic rant about their shitty service.

I am pleased to see otherwise. I guess I will start looking into them for shipping now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

USPS ships to APO/FPO addresses, and you're only paying the postage to send the equivalent sized box Priority to the APO/FPO clearinghouse stateside. Not sure why they had to use DHL for this, but still looks like they got a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Wasn't a DHL aircraft one of a handful in history to land after having their rudder/VSTAB hydraulic lines severed after they were hit with a MANPAD climbing out from Bhagdad airport?

Good flying and good on ya!

eta:  covered in depth I see
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will send it DHL next time I mail something.  Just for this.  God bless our troops.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

USPS ships to APO/FPO addresses, and you're only paying the postage to send the equivalent sized box Priority to the APO/FPO clearinghouse stateside. Not sure why they had to use DHL for this, but still looks like they got a hell of a deal.

This, I wasn't aware DHL/UPS/FedEx would even ship to an APO.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wasn't a DHL aircraft one of a handful in history to land after having their rudder/VSTAB hydraulic lines severed after they were hit with a MANPAD climbing out from Bhagdad airport?

Good flying and good on ya!

eta:  covered in depth I see

Lots of luck involved,  and probably a damn good thing it was on climbout.  Trims and control surfaces were already in a slight up position with rudder straight when the system bled out.  Making it a possibility to thrust steer.  Airspeed and drag probably helped push the surfaces fairly neutral too.  Good flying and lots of luck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Care to expand on that?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They won't and can't.  Not even sure how they would get it to the unit once it hit theater.  I'm skeptical.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the stuff we ship to Astan goes DHL.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#34]
DHL lost a next day air package of mine for two weeks and gave me the run around the entire time.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There we go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#36]
When DHL was domestic, they always had the best rates and I never had a problem with them.

Good on them for the help they provided. It could have been very easy for them to dismiss the email or say sorry, but they didn't and stepped up. Kudos also goes to the CS rep that escalated the matter far enough up the pipe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool!

During my time in Kandahar, I do remember a DHL plane landing there at KAF almost daily. Can't miss it. Probably the loudest yellow you ever did see.

Then again, when all you see is green and brown, all normal colors tend to stand out more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Good of DHL to step up and help ou the troops.

I always had issues with them in my previous employment. Drivers wouldn't even stop by my office and log it in that no one was there to sign for the package. I would sit there all day on paydays so my guys could there checks on time. Once I started driving around the area tracking them down and complaining to management they started to get better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Wife works for DHL in QC, they're a pretty solid company IMO. The attempt to take over US domestic shipping didn't go so well and they've been restructuring their US operations over the last couple years.(that's what brought us to SC)

There's been some issues with the restructure that created a lot of problems that are mostly dealt with now, should be completely reliable at this point.

Glad to hear this, I've met the guy who made  the call.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd make sure you send photos to DHL so they can see it too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I was a DHL delivery driver for a while when I was about 20yo, and they always treated me pretty well.  Watching how the packages were handled by some of the other drivers didn't sit well with me, though, so I never used them for my own shipping.. not that FedEx and UPS are any better, from what I hear.

Good deal, OP.  Cool story.. it always makes me happy to see companies help support the troops overseas.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Large flat rate to Kandahar $12.00

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#44]
That DHL airbus was delivered in 1979, so it was old, and hydraulics, landing gear and both engines were destroyed by a surface to fucking air missile, of course it was written off!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Duly noted. DHL earned some Karma points, as I forget they exist. Next occaision to ship I will remember.

Unlike Fed Ex that is still looking for a box with my Meerkat mount in it.
Who the fuck steals a Taxidermy Gag Meerkat? I mean seriously!
Still pisses me off, as I had to shoot 5 with the .338 in order to get enough bits for a whole mount, and them little fuckers are fast.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see someone with an APO/FPO box in the Post Office, I tell the clerk that the shippers' money is no good, and hand over some cash.
It's a little thing, but makes a mom, grandma or wife cry every time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Had to be one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Still pisses me off, as I had to shoot 5 with the .338 in order to get enough bits for a whole mount, and them little fuckers are fast.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Pretty cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top