Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 5:44:06 PM EDT
Wife lightly rear ended a minivan this am. Two screw sized holes were put in the minivan's bumper.
I talk to the cop on the phone and he says it's the wife's fault.  He says he can write it up for being reported,
And the insurance companies will get involved, or he can write it up unreported and we can settle the damage
Out privately and won't get hit up with higher insurance rates. I chose the settle private option.

This evening, the woman who owns the minivan emails a copy of the dealer estimate to fix and it's $910
Holy shit!

We only have one car on our policy (I drive a company truck). Wife has a spotless driving record.

Should I just let my insurance company cover it and not sweat any increased premium, or just pay to have
The damn bumper replaced.

I'm pissed as hell right now.

Thanks..

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
how much is your deductible? Sounds cheap for a new bumper cover.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the dealer estimate to fix and it's $910

There's the main problem. Try and see if she'll go to a standard body shop. Probably half the cost!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Not our bumper.... My wife's front bumper wasn't damaged, but the rear bumper of the woman's she hit was..... Barely.

ZA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's the main problem. Try and see if she'll go to a standard body shop. Probably half the cost!

Yea.... I was going to email or call them tomorrow and tell them to go get another estimate from a body shop.

ZA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how much is your deductible? Sounds cheap for a new bumper cover.

Yup, may be better off just paying out of pocket
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, that's pretty cheap for a factory bumper cover.   I've replaced a couple.   You've got to buy the cover, have it shipped (uber expensive shipping costs), usually paint it, and then install it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the bumper being replaced? Why? Each bumper hole can be repaired for half hour each @ $42/hour. They will need to remove the bumper cover off the vehicle depending on the vehicle may take 1.5 to 3 hours. Plus paint and clear coat. Should be about $350 to $400. Look, you're being ripped off. The estimate should be for repair - if it really is only two licence plate holes. Dealers like to replace parts because they make money off the parts.

The estimate should read:

R&I (remove and install) bumper aprx 2hrs.
Repair bumper aprx 1.5 to 2.5hrs
Refinish bumper: about 2.5 hrs
Clear coat 1 to 2 hrs
plus paint, materials, taxes, flex additive.

A friend of mine owns a shop, i've seen tons of repairs and they can repairs holes all day long. The customer probably went to the dealer –– said, "write estimate to replace bumper". Which the dealer did –– with NEW parts. You can buy aftermarket parts for less than half.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem a few years ago. I rearended a minivan with my Ford Exploder and made a one inch scratch on the rear bumper. She freaked out and called the police (who wasn't trilled about showing up for a fender-bender) and her husband. We traded insurance information and I gave her my contact information and asked her to have a shop give her an estimate and call me, that I would cut her a check so she wouldn't have to deal with my insurance company and wait for a claims person, blah blah blah. Well, a few days later, guess who calls? My insurance company telling me that the bitch filled a claim. $575 for a new bumper. There goes my spotless record with this insurance company over a one inch scratch. Lame.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
you don't have a deductable for liability coverage so 100 % will be paid out by the insurance company.Most companies allow for an accident to be a freebee if it 's under so much damage . Like here in North Carolina If the damage is less than $1800 and there are no other accidents or violations on the policy the accident will what we in the business call a freebee .It's a possibility your insurance may not go up.The only way to find out is call your agent and ask him the details but that means tipping your hat to the insurance company about the accident .So if you intend on paying out of pocket that may not be the best option.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't hurt to try to get them to go somewhere else to get an estimate, but really they've got you by the balls.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Fact of the matter is you cannot MAKE her get another estimate.   She can say pound sand at take you to court at the drop of the hat chances are she wont get the full 910 she is asking, bu then you gotta waste time fucking with that,  Or all she has to do is make 1 phone call to your insurance, and you will have a claim.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
you don't have a deductable for liability coverage so 100 % will be paid out by the insurance company.Most companies allow for an accident to be a freebee if it 's under so much damage . Like here in North Carolina If the damage is less than $1800 and there are no other accidents or violations on the policy the accident will what we in the business call a freebee .It's a possibility your insurance may not go up.The only way to find out is call your agent and ask him the details but that means tipping your hat to the insurance company about the accident .So if you intend on paying out of pocket that may not be the best option.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention you will be liable for a rental while her car Is in the shop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Either give her the $910 or let her make a claim through your insurance.  Only 2 choices here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Anytime I have ever had a rear bumper replaced from someone bumping me, the insurance company themselves said they don't "fix" bumpers...you replace them. This is with Honda's though, it may be different for other vehicles, but maybe the same too.

Isn't the point of insurance to have the car repaired to new/like new status? I don't know about you, but when I buy a new car it doesn't have repaired holes on it. Replacement rather than fix is 100% fair.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Just thinking how much could the policy possibly go up, one 2010 Honda minivan with the wife as
As the primary, with a spotless driving record within the past 7 years.

ZA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
My fucking back hurts, really really bad.  OW!   OW!  I need your money.  OW,  OW!  At least your wife called the cops and reported it instead of trusting the other driver.  OW!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Better to take care of her minor property damage now in exchange for a written release before her neck starts to hurt...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Write the check, get a release signed, and walk away.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Pay her the money instead of getting the insurance co. involved.  What if you have to make another claim in the next week....month......12 months?  Then your really fucked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Feel lucky they aren't claiming whiplash and or neck pain.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just thinking how much could the policy possibly go up, one 2010 Honda minivan with the wife as

ZA

Well back in November I had an at fault accident with another car.  I ended up rear ending the car in front of me damaging their bumper and exhaust.  I had a spotless record for the 13 years I have been driving and my premium went up a total of 56 dollars over 6 months.  Essentially I lost my good drivers discount. This is with State Farm and I had been with them since 2005.  I honestly thought it was going to be worse but was pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I understand that you are upset at the cost.  It looks like such light damage.  However, from the other parties perspective....Would you really expect them to settle for a second rate job, or, accept damage to their vehicle that will be reflected when they sell it?

They deserve to have their vehicle repaired to like condition (prior to the accident).  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea.... I was going to email or call them tomorrow and tell them to go get another estimate from a body shop.

ZA

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I understand that you are upset at the cost.  It looks like such light damage.  However, from the other parties perspective....Would you really expect them to settle for a second rate job, or, accept damage to their vehicle that will be reflected when they sell it?

They deserve to have their vehicle repaired to like condition (prior to the accident).  
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZA

They'll pocket the money and have someone do it cheaper or live with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZA

Which is 100% acceptable in Texas and other states. It their choice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
And, that is their choice isn't it?  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZA

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
You're responsible for the damage. If I owned the mini van you would be paying for the bumper from whom ever if though would do the best job on the repair. If I were you I'd let the insurance company pay the bill. It shouldn't affect your premiums if you're with a major company ie Allstate or State Farm. I don't have experience with Progressive, Geico, etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#28]
If you can get out for only $910. - pay the money and run.  Your wife is at fault and you could end up paying much more.  The more you struggle the more they can make it cost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Call your agent and ask which would be best....they can tell you if (1) minor claim will screw your premiums.

My son slid off a snowy road and took out a mail box.....called my agent and found out it was cheaper to file the claim.  His rate went up about 50 bucks for 3 years.  It was simple math.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fact of the matter is you cannot MAKE her get another estimate.   She can say pound sand at take you to court at the drop of the hat chances are she wont get the full 910 she is asking, bu then you gotta waste time fucking with that,  Or all she has to do is make 1 phone call to your insurance, and you will have a claim.

That's not correct. The injured party has an obligation to mitigate the damages. If it went to court and the OP could show that other, qualified shops estimated the repair at $400, the other person would not get $910.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

ZA

You aren't really in a position to be calling the shots here. Pay the $910 and move on.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not correct. The injured party has an obligation to mitigate the damages. If it went to court and the OP could show that other, qualified shops estimated the repair at $400, the other person would not get $910.

Not in Texas. You are required to have at least ONE estimate and can choose the one you want regardless of the price difference...assuming of course it is a legitimate estimate. The idea that people get 2-3 is simply to show you are being fair. You only need one, again, in Texas. Other states may vary.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZA

Well back in November I had an at fault accident with another car.  I ended up rear ending the car in front of me damaging their bumper and exhaust.  I had a spotless record for the 13 years I have been driving and my premium went up a total of 56 dollars over 6 months.  Essentially I lost my good drivers discount. This is with State Farm and I had been with them since 2005.  I honestly thought it was going to be worse but was pleasantly surprised.
same here 12 years with no claims then I punched a deer to the tune of almost 5K

renewed a couple months later insurance didn't go up a dime

I was surprised

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Wish ou were in KY, my father paints bumpers on the side. He charges $150-$200 a panel(bumper).  He could make that bumper look better than new in 3 warm days!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh...

Screw it. I'm just going to have them file on our insurance. I think it will cost me less that way.

Thanks for the opinions.

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Years ago I was a North Carolina resident and had a fender bender.  My insurance didn't go up a nickle but the state tacked on some 'recovery fee' of $400 per year for three years

Supposedly this was to reimburse the state high risk driver insurance pool.

I don't know what the law is in NC these days but you might want to check into that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZA

if it was me and someone tells me I would tell them to fuck off.

Its her call not yours for the body shop and if she wants to go the insurance way

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#38]
pay it and get a release of liability. asap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Gee let's see...I have a perfectly good bumper at 8am. Later in the day it has two holes in it. Why would I want it filled and repainted when I can have it back to the way it was for $900? A bumper plus paint and labor ain't cheap. Bondo and touch up is a half ass repair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top