Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:35:50 PM EDT
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.de856ece51704a8013815b7dfb5543db.41&show_article=1

New York's governor on Wednesday proposed making the state the first in the country to take mandatory DNA samples from anyone convicted of a crime, including relatively lesser offenses.
Governor Andrew Cuomo, in an annual "State of the State" speech to the New York legislature, said currently DNA was collected in less than half of crimes on the books.

"I will propose a bill requiring the collection of a DNA sample from any person convicted of a felony or Penal Law misdemeanor," said Cuomo, a former federal prosecutor and New York state attorney general.

Cuomo said that applying DNA collection to all criminals would both help law-enforcement bodies fight serious crime and protect against wrongful convictions.

Current exclusions include "numerous crimes that are often precursors to violent offenses," he said.

more at link
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Not good. IBTSS
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
George Orwell missed it by twenty some years.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
<tough on crime types> If you aren't hiding anything what are you worried about? </tough on crime types>
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't break the law then what do you have to worry about?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
with all of the drunk driving threads and forced blood tests here lately it seems most people wont have a problem with it.....

ETA: DNA for a Misdemeanor??
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey.  Yet another reason to avoid ny like the plague
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]

They can take your prints already , I dont know whats stopping them from DNA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What a craptastic idea. Do not want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They should just put all of us on file. I'll never have to worry about anything because I'm a law abiding citizen
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
How about...no.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
with all of the drunk driving threads and forced blood tests here lately it seems most people wont have a problem with it.....

well it is the logical next step.  after that it's going to be "just provide it".  I'm actually shocked they don't take it at birth and store it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
California already does this.  Idiots here formed a majority to vote for an initiative that requires it even if you are only arrested.  When I was arrested after a defensive shooting I was required to provide a DNA sample during the booking process.  When I refused, I was restrained and it was taken from me.  There's no way as far as I know to get it out of the system under this law.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
<––––––––––––––-my surprised face.

This should work just about as good as that waste of money COBIS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Yep, that'll do it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck him.

Yep, that'll do it.

this

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well it is the logical next step.  after that it's going to be "just provide it".  I'm actually shocked they don't take it at birth and store it.

DNA will only be necessary until they develop computers powerful enough to track all citizens via their Gov't implanted chip.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Yikes, Law Enforcement then becomes motivated (in order to make their jobs easier, under pressure from politicos and voters) to convict everyone of a crime at least once so that all possible future criminals are in the database.

"Son, what's your name?  You're not in the database here.  Hey, that's a deadly weapon there in your jacket pocket, stick your finger out."
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Convicted felons...maybe.

Everyone else? They can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:  If someone is arrested for rape, doesn't the DA use a search warrant to get a DNA sample to compare to the sample from the victim?  Doesn't the lab compare the sample to unsolved rape cases?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#21]
From someone who is behind enemy lines: Cuomo is real trouble people.  He is a gifted politician and a rising star in the Dem's stable of potential future national candidates.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
California already does this.  Idiots here formed a majority to vote for an initiative that requires it even if you are only arrested.  When I was arrested after a defensive shooting I was required to provide a DNA sample during the booking process.  When I refused, I was restrained and it was taken from me.  There's no way as far as I know to get it out of the system under this law.

That's ridiculous. I hope that nonsense doesn't make it into this state.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be surprised what is done at birth in some places. Who knows if the info is really destroyed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It's for the kids...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Prediction: They will spend gazillions of dollars collecting DNA and then it will be of no use because the crime labs are so backed up. I remember a few years ago California threw out hundreds of rape kits because the statute of limitations on the crime had run out before they had even looked at the evidence. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/03/opinion/ed-rape3        http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/517/transcript.html .  See NY's wonderful example of fail with "ballistic fingerprinting". This state is run by people who believe real life is like the tv show CSI.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#26]
and I will never set foot in a state that feels the need to have that much control of me.  reeks of authoritarianism and bad omens of abuse of that power to come.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Paternity / child support.

(there are a lot of ghetto goblins that took plea deals in cases instead of giving up a DNA sample that could have cleared them- usually due to concerns about other cases - like rapes and murders- that could be pinned on them via the DNA)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In CA DNA is only collected from felony arrestees, misdemeanors are collected only after conviction or guilty plea.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#29]
How are they:

1) Going to pay for this?
2) Find the time to run all this through the lab? (I thought most states had a backlog of DNA evidence for processing that, even with the money to work on it, would take years to get through the lab)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck him.

This. But to late. Ever had a blood test ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do you want to be added to another database ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

California already does this. Idiots here formed a majority to vote for an initiative that requires it even if you are only arrested. When I was arrested after a defensive shooting I was required to provide a DNA sample during the booking process. When I refused, I was restrained and it was taken from me. There's no way as far as I know to get it out of the system under this law.

In CA DNA is only collected from felony arrestees, misdemeanors are collected only after conviction or guilty plea.

Still ridiculous.  Any charges you're likely to face after a defensive shooting if they do decide to charge you will include at least one felony.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
With DNA you can clone people. Why would NY want to clone all the felons? OMG NY clone felon apocalypse!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see a problem with this.  Taking DNA at birth is another story.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I have no problem with that or a national DNA database.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sounds like time for a second defensive shooting. Fuck tyranny. Either that, or learn to SSS.

(not advocation anything against the CoC or anything, just stating the obvious - and that if things don't turn around soon, your local police will be no different than the SS or the Gestapo, and similar action will be required to remedy the situation)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#37]
What the fuck is in the water up there
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

California already does this. Idiots here formed a majority to vote for an initiative that requires it even if you are only arrested. When I was arrested after a defensive shooting I was required to provide a DNA sample during the booking process. When I refused, I was restrained and it was taken from me. There's no way as far as I know to get it out of the system under this law.

Still ridiculous.  Any charges you're likely to face after a defensive shooting if they do decide to charge you will include at least one felony.

I would have no problem with it being done only after a subject was held over for trial after a preliminary hearing, but that's not what our fellow citizens passed.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What about taking DNA in the case of arrests?  If there is no warrant, probable cause, or due process involved, on what grounds can they legitimately take it from you?  The only grounds they have is the force they are capable of exerting.  I could see it being a reasonable part of a sentence for conviction for crimes for which something like DNA is relevant (violent crimes, sex crimes, etc.), but that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still ridiculous. Any charges you're likely to face after a defensive shooting if they do decide to charge you will include at least one felony.

I would have no problem with it being done only after a subject was held over for trial after a preliminary hearing, but that's not what our fellow citizens passed.

I have a problem with it for anything short of a conviction, and I don't think it is a justifiable punishment in the case of all crimes.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck this! Slippery slope........
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

While I don't see a problem with collecting DNA when it might do some good (for example violent offenders that may have left DNA evidence at other crime scenes), I don't think taking DNA from every felon (let alone every criminal) is a very good use of resources. The bar for felony theft is not set very high, and it is not like taking DNA from a stock broker gone bad that stole $3000 from grandma is really going to help you find his other victims.

Edited to fix quote
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#43]
DNA can be VERY easily replicated (grown).

If THEY have your DNA, more can be grown, and planted.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh yeah I bet they'll be able to keep that database straight
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#45]
The former governor of NY used tax payer money to collect many DNA samples.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#46]
just get a sample of the governor's.

It wouldn't be hard to obtain, get some hair or a can of pop he just drank.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The former governor of NY used tax payer money to collect many DNA samples.

Did he collect them...or pass them out?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#48]
As I recall, New York Governors have a record of leaving random DNA samples about the place....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this out:

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-state-agencies/department-of-state-health-services/dshs-turned-over-hundreds-of-dna-samples-to-feds/
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top