Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:26:00 PM EDT
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S2DQI81%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — An armed eighth-grader gunned down by police officers in the hallway of his Texas middle school Wednesday was brandishing a pellet gun that looked like a firearm, and he refused repeated orders to lower the weapon before the officers opened fire, police said.

The carbon-dioxide powered pellet gun 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was holding looked like a handgun, and the initial report to police that sent officers rushing to Cummings Middle School Wednesday morning was for a student seen holding a gun, Orlando Rodriguez, Brownsville's interim police chief, said at a news conference.

This has me  and

AB

CC 10.  -G
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard about this afternoon, all the news said was: the kid might not have shot at police or even had a gun?  Then they said an autopsy was to be performed.

ETA: I have a Crossman CO2 pellet gun that looks exactly like a Colt 45 for fucking with our squirrels, it does have an orange tip though....

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
in another newspaper they showed a pic of a pic of the pistol - it did NOT appear to have an orange tip and it looked a LOT like a glock..

trying to locate the article

b

found article..

yahoo news link
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This may get messy.
My first guess is that the kid was probably getting bullied he brought the gun to scare the bully and it escalated from there...
But now days who knows..
Its sad
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
15 year old Jamie Gonzalez could have been a 6 foot tall, 175lb banger looking kid flashing what looked exactly like a semi auto pistol at people with real guns who were yelling at him to drop it.

Play stupid games and all that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Suicide by cop.  Unfortunate.  I went to school with a guy that was more than crazy enough to pull something like that off at that age.

ETA: a 15 year old 8th grader?  There's more to this story..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
From the link...gun looks pretty real to me...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Suicide by cop.  Unfortunate.  I went to school with a guy that was more than crazy enough to pull something like that off at that age.

yeah that just clicked with me and theres got to be more to the story.
what a sad day for everyone involved
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
This will be messy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
A 15 year old 8th grader?

I don't think the space program is going to suffer any significant setbacks due to the loss of this fine young man.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Apparently he had ample opportunity to put the gun down but refused per other students.  Oh well play stupid games.

Quoted:

I don't think the space program is going to suffer any significant setbacks due to the loss of this fine young man.

Thank God I wasn't the only one who caught onto that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]

I heard on the news today that this wasn't the first time that this kid had tried to bring weapons to school.

I cannot verify that info.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was 15 for the last month of 8th grade. It's not all that uncommon.

Birthday in May, so I could have been relatively old in one grade or relatively young in another.

There were a few people older than me by about 6 months that were all held back a grade at some point.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I"m sorry, it is a horrible loss at the loss of any life, that being said...

You bring what looks exactly like the real thing, with no identifying marks as to otherwise, then wave it at police, what do you think will happen.  

Unfortunate that someone died in the process, but the cops did what they had to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Birthday in May, so I could have been relatively old in one grade or relatively young in another.

There were a few people older than me by about 6 months that were all held back a grade at some point.

and now you sit on the senate budget committee don't you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I would shoot a mofo aiming this at me.  This is the pellet gun.

Disregard, pic won't hotlink.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish the kid had put it down when asked/told.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty common to be 15 in 8th , especially for parents who don't use the school system for a free year of babysitting , and start their kids in K at 6years instead of barely 5.
For those who don't think about when it's the best age to start kids in school , it's advantageous to start them later , rather than early

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Sad, but I'd have shot too if someone was pointing this at me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insulting me really won't get you very far. My skin is thicker than that weak attempt.

As previously stated, I was merely trying to point out that a 15 year old 8th grader is not uncommon.

I was surprised by all of the people that commented on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty common to be 15 in 8th , especially for parents who don't use the school system for a free year of babysitting , and start their kids in K at 6years instead of barely 5.
For those who don't think about when it's the best age to start kids in school , it's advantageous to start them later , rather than early

Eh, I started early at did just fine.  Gifted classes, IB, that kind of thing.

On-topic - While I wouldn't call it a good shoot just because of the tragedy involved, it's an understandable one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
in another newspaper they showed a pic of a pic of the pistol - it did NOT appear to have an orange tip and it looked a LOT like a glock..

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insulting me really won't get you very far. My skin is thicker than that weak attempt.

As previously stated, I was merely trying to point out that a 15 year old 8th grader is not uncommon.

Sorry it was my attempt at humor.  I went to school in the Chicagoland area..... the only 15 year olds we had in 8th grade were those who ended up not making it through highschool.  This was over 25 years ago, but if your 15 years old in 8th grade, there's other issues at hand especially with the way public schools are.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/fd5f36a16c105f00030f6a706700681e.jpg

Geez.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

Very closely Resembles a glock, but there is a lot to it that's 'off.'

Slide serrations, trigger guard, magazine baseplate, sights, etc.

I've never seen a Glock that looks like that, but maybe I haven't seen enough Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Imagine being those cops.   Being the only people between him and an active shooter in a school.  Not wanting to be the next columbine.  Tough choice to shoot but it is the right choice.  They gave the kid chances to put it down.  I am certain these guys don't go to work everyday dreaming of killing kids (I can only guess some cop basher will try to prove me wrong)  

Imagine the mental stress after they found out it was a BB gun.

Believe me these cops are facing some demons right now.  I sure wouldn't want to be them right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Tragic, but completely understandable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Why are folks here pissed someone shot a 15 yo with what appears to be a quite real gun?

Does his age somehow make him less likely to use a gun?

Aren't our juvie halls filled with little gangsters that actually use guns?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

I've never seen a Glock that looks like that, but maybe I haven't seen enough Glocks.

If you are a cop trying to get this guy to put his gun down, you aren't looking at serrations, trigger guards, etc.

It looks like a real gun and that got this moron shot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

But would you notice all those things when it could be pointed at you and potentially shot at you? I would imagine it would be difficult to notice all those things with adrenaline, plus how far away were they from him?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

Doubt the officers took the time to notice the little nuances of the gun being pointed at them in a school locked down for the same.

ETA: Obviously I'm the slowest typist here.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry it was my attempt at humor.  I went to school in the Chicagoland area..... the only 15 year olds we had in 8th grade were those who ended up not making it through highschool.  This was over 25 years ago, but if your 15 years old in 8th grade, there's other issues at hand especially with the way public schools are.

I see what your saying. I went to a smaller school that did not have a very high failure rate, so I didn't have a lot of experience with those types of kids.

Back to the main topic. It sucks for the cops involved, but from the available information, I don't think they had any good alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
read this article this morning. told my friend he probably had an airsoft gun he brought to school to show off since it said he was seen with it and police were called and that when they entered they found him in the hallway with it and opened fire.

i also said just wait if it is a airsoft gun, the gov is gonna put the hammer down on realistic looking 'toy' guns

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/fd5f36a16c105f00030f6a706700681e.jpg

Absolutely and without question.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Sad, and stupid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Me too. It doesn't matter if this kid was going to make the next great leap in quantum physics or not, he was a kid and somebody's son and for all we know his worst crime was just panicking when cops pointed their weapons and shouted at him. I'm not blaming the cops, but it's a shame how things went down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S2DQI81%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — An armed eighth-grader gunned down by police officers in the hallway of his Texas middle school Wednesday was brandishing a pellet gun that looked like a firearm, and he refused repeated orders to lower the weapon before the officers opened fire, police said.

The carbon-dioxide powered pellet gun 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was holding looked like a handgun, and the initial report to police that sent officers rushing to Cummings Middle School Wednesday morning was for a student seen holding a gun, Orlando Rodriguez, Brownsville's interim police chief, said at a news conference.

Robert Valle, a 13-year-old who was among the school's 750 students locked down in their classrooms during the confrontation, said he heard police run down the hallway and yell "put the gun down," before several shots were fired.

"He had plenty of opportunities to lower the weapon ... and he didn't want to," Rodriguez said. Two officers fired three shots, striking Gonzalez at least twice, he said. The autopsy results are pending.

Rodriguez said that before the confrontation with police, Gonzalez walked into a Cummings Middle School classroom and punched another boy in the nose. He said he doesn't know why Gonzalez was brandishing the weapon.

Earlier Wednesday, before police said the weapon was actually a pellet gun, Jaime's godmother Norma Leticia Navarro told The Associated Press she couldn't imagine what led to the fatal confrontation.

"Jaime was not a bad kid, and I wish I could ask him why he did that, why did you put yourself in that position?"

Still, she said she understood that police were doing their job, but she expressed frustration that a child was killed and wondered if something else could have been done.

"I'm not saying he was perfect or an angel, but he was a very giving person."

She said both of his parents work, and that his stepmother raised him from infancy and was very strict with him.

As word of the shooting spread quickly through the city on Texas' southern tip, where violence frequently spills over from Mexico's drug war, frantic parents rushed to reach their children.

Those who got their early on were able to retrieve their frightened children, but some who arrived later found the street outside the school lined with squad cars and blocked off. About two hours after the shooting, dozens of frustrated parents and relatives flooded out of the park pavilion without their children after school officials announced that all remaining children had been bused to a high school and could be picked up there.

Julie Tomalenas waited for an hour to pick up her 13-year-old sister before being told of the relocation.

"It was very stressful not knowing if she was OK, where she was, when we could see her again," Tomalenas said.

The lockdown was lifted about two hours after the shooting, but the students and employees were relocated while officers investigated at the school, Brown said.

This has me  and

AB  

Somebody stop the world, I want to get the fuck off.

Seriously, how far is our society going to deteriorate before it implodes?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. It doesn't matter if this kid was going to make the next great leap in quantum physics or not, he was a kid and somebody's son and for all we know his worst crime was just panicking when cops pointed their weapons and shouted at him. I'm not blaming the cops, but it's a shame how things went down.

Agreed, it's very sad this happened the way it did.  Can you imagine the outrage if it was a real gun, and the kid hurt other kids because of the inaction of the cops?  It was a no win situation for them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Babysitting?  LOL.

You are SUPPOSED to start kindergarten at 5 years old.  All kids*, at least in my state, do - unless their parents have somehow decided to hold them back.  You have to be 5 by Sept. 1st to start K.  Since school starts in early August here, all kids who start kindergarten are 5 years old, *except those born in mid-August to the 1st of September, they start at 4.  My daughter was born Sept. 9th, and she technically started K a year early, but she had to test for it.  I'm glad she did.  She's currently in 4th grade, and is in several advanced classes and currently tests as if she's a 7th grader.  She has a hard time being in classes where they teach under her.  Imagine if she started a year later?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1

15 year old 8th Grader?

WTF?

No Dogs harmed either.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geez.

You wouldn't have?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

If you are a cop trying to get this guy to put his gun down, you aren't looking at serrations, trigger guards, etc.

I was commenting only on the gun, not the events that got the kid killed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks real enough to me.

***I was 12 when I started the 8th, 13 in 9th and so forth. Graduated HS @ 17.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see what your saying. I went to a smaller school that did not have a very high failure rate, so I didn't have a lot of experience with those types of kids.

Back to the main topic. It sucks for the cops involved, but from the available information, I don't think they had any good alternatives.

Taser?

AB

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#46]

This is why I could never be a cop.

I'm not suggesting that it was a bad shoot, I just could never live with myself if it was my shoot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Robert Valle, a 13-year-old who was among the school's 750 students locked down in their classrooms during the confrontation, said he heard police run down the hallway and yell "put the gun down," before several shots were fired.

"He had plenty of opportunities to lower the weapon ... and he didn't want to," Rodriguez said. Two officers fired three shots, striking Gonzalez at least twice, he said. The autopsy results are pending.

Rodriguez said that before the confrontation with police, Gonzalez walked into a Cummings Middle School classroom and punched another boy in the nose. He said he doesn't know why Gonzalez was brandishing the weapon.

Earlier Wednesday, before police said the weapon was actually a pellet gun, Jaime's godmother Norma Leticia Navarro told The Associated Press she couldn't imagine what led to the fatal confrontation.

"Jaime was not a bad kid, and I wish I could ask him why he did that, why did you put yourself in that position?"

Still, she said she understood that police were doing their job, but she expressed frustration that a child was killed and wondered if something else could have been done.

"I'm not saying he was perfect or an angel, but he was a very giving person."

She said both of his parents work, and that his stepmother raised him from infancy and was very strict with him.

As word of the shooting spread quickly through the city on Texas' southern tip, where violence frequently spills over from Mexico's drug war, frantic parents rushed to reach their children.

Those who got their early on were able to retrieve their frightened children, but some who arrived later found the street outside the school lined with squad cars and blocked off. About two hours after the shooting, dozens of frustrated parents and relatives flooded out of the park pavilion without their children after school officials announced that all remaining children had been bused to a high school and could be picked up there.

Julie Tomalenas waited for an hour to pick up her 13-year-old sister before being told of the relocation.

"It was very stressful not knowing if she was OK, where she was, when we could see her again," Tomalenas said.

The lockdown was lifted about two hours after the shooting, but the students and employees were relocated while officers investigated at the school, Brown said.

This has me  and

AB  

Somebody stop the world, I want to get the fuck off.

Seriously, how far is our society going to deteriorate before it implodes?

My thoughts exactly.

AB

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I was going to say the cops don't know the difference between a BB gun and a real gun. But then I saw the pictures of the BB gun
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in
another newspaper they showed a pic of a pic of the pistol - it did NOT
appear to have an orange tip and it looked a LOT like a glock..

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

yep

top end ( which is all you would see ) really looks like a XD

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is why I could never be a cop.

I'm not suggesting that it was a bad shoot, I just could never live with myself if it was my shoot.

I hear ya...kinda.  But if you were protecting a school full of children, you don't know if the pistol is real or not.  Would you shoot, and get hated for it?  Or stand there yelling some more, and let the kid shoot some other innocent kids if it's real?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top