Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:18:27 PM EDT
Just somethin' I was thinking about today.  A couple of years ago I was
in Afghanistan and my one of my brother's B'days was coming up.  He's

always been a big fan of the MP-40 and, seein' as I couldn't afford to buy him a REAL "Schmeisser" I got on-line at the MWR and bought a

non-gun MP-40 and had it shipped to him.

It's actually pretty neat.  Except for shooting it () it "looks" and "feels" like a real gun and looks great hanging on the wall AND, it ran me about

1/70th what a shooting example would have.

I've been saving for a transferable 1928 Thompson (A real one) for a
couple of years and still have a way to go before I can afford a decent
example but,

I'd like to have something to hang on the wall (And maybe play with a little bit...lol) now.

Anyway, anyone else collect them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What interests me most is the firing/mechanical aspects of firearms,  I personally see the point in owning a non firing firearm, but as a wall hanger and or conversation piece, why not ?  

Your example is a great one, display the fake, lock up the real one and use it when you want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking about picking up one of IMAs Panzerfaust to go with my inert LAWS tube...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
A little bit ghey unless they are crew served weapons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have been thinking about picking up one of IMAs Panzerfaust to go with my inert LAWS tube...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a display Panzerfaust or RPG-7.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea that I can own a 20,000 gun for 400-1500....but I don't have any non guns right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe a .22 replica?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I only spend money on things I can actually shoot.

I hang pictures on the wall. Guns go in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
maybe a .22 replica?

Decent quality rimfire replicas I can dig (cheap to feed and fun).

Non functional display items, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather have 1 real gun than 5... 10.... 100 fake ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I would want something that at least had the capability to fire at one time. If something is too old or rare to fire then so be it. But I don't think I'd want a replica.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I was thinking of getting a fake Sherman tank.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the idea that I can own a 20,000 gun for 400-1500....but I don't have any non guns right now.

Yeah, but all you can do is hold them and go 'pew pew'.  Also, 400-1500 is the price of a real gun that actually goes 'bang bang'.

A sci fi prop gun, however...

I'd consider a scifi prop gun.  Heck, I'm kinda leaning toward getting my sister one for her birthday.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
While it isn't "ghey" in my opinion whenever I think about buying a replica, de-mil, air-soft, or something like that I refrain and save my money for something real.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Do what makes you happy dude.  I wouldn't live my life based on feedback from the internet.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If you picked option number 2, you would probably go and buy a fleshlight cuz you are too cheap to spend money on a real woman.    
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but all you can do is hold them and go 'pew pew'.  Also, 400-1500 is the price of a real gun that actually goes 'bang bang'.

A sci fi prop gun, however...
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/other/mm_pulse_Finished.jpg
http://mimg.ugo.com/201002/36541/cuts/oldpistol-resistance_480x360.jpg

I'd consider a scifi prop gun.  Heck, I'm kinda leaning toward getting my sister one for her birthday.

Did someone mention sci fi wall hangers?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had grown up , and was still living in , say , Japan or England , or somewhere else I couldnt own the real things . . . . maybe .

But why waste the money on them here when you can buy real , functioning weapons ?

I cant afford a Ferrari , but I'm not going to go spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a full size( empty )plastic shell that 'LOOKS' real , when I can buy a real car , or even a kit car , and at least drive the damned thing .

Unless all your interested in doing is faking folks out that happen to see it in your driveway. . . er. . .safe, and assume it's real
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Cutaways are a bit different, and are highly desired by collectors.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cutaways are a bit different, and are highly desired by collectors.
whew! good! thought I had caught the ghey

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't see the appeal myself.  But you want to decorate your house with fake guns on the walls - it isn't my business.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I don't see the appeal myself.  But you want to decorate your house with fake guns on the walls - it isn't my business.

I prefer to decorate with daggers

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Never had any appeal to me, but I don't mind it if anyone else digs on 'em.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Numrich has the RPG-7s, they are 999.00
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#26]
we have a peacemaker in the hallway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just somethin' I was thinking about today.  A couple of years ago I was in Afghanistan and my one of my brother's B'days was coming up.  He's
always been a big fan of the MP-40 and, seein' as I couldn't afford to buy him a REAL "Schmeisser" I got on-line at the MWR and bought a
non-gun MP-40 and had it shipped to him.

It's actually pretty neat.  Except for shooting it () it "looks" and "feels" like a real gun and looks great hanging on the wall AND, it ran me about
1/70th what a shooting example would have.

I've been saving for a transferable 1928 Thompson (A real one) for a couple of years and still have a way to go before I can afford a decent example but,
I'd like to have something to hang on the wall (And maybe play with a little bit...lol) now.

Anyway, anyone else collect them?

I collect them. Mostly the Japanese "modelguns" like the MGC, Marushin's etc. They can be very expensive especially if they are the earlier "Banned in Japan" stuff like the all sheet metal mp40's, Stens etc.  My web site (I haven't updated it in years tho)   http://www.mp40modelguns.com/     I do need to update it...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends.  Could be used as decoys for thieves also.  I did buy a replica lever action for someone who has Western inspired decor but a family member did not want a real firearm in the house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much are plane tickets to Mogadishu?  Because you could almost get a real RPG for that much, including the round trip ticket.

(Ok, a round trip ticket probably is probably going to be a lot more than a grand, but still)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it's kind of pointless in general, but I do have a wallhanger.  An old GEW 88 with missing pieces that is chewed up on one side.  I mounted it on the wall with the nice sound out so it looks good but it is entirely nonfunctional.  

Cost me like $20 so I guess it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think just randomly hanging non-guns would be my thing. But if one had a nice display I could see wanting to use one as an "accessory" instead of leaving something out of your safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Depends.  Could be used as decoys for thieves also.  I did buy a replica lever action for someone who has Western inspired decor but a family member did not want a real firearm in the house.

Had a customer transfer in one of the Tom Osborne Husker commemorative Winchesters a few years back

He asked if it was functional and went when I told him yes , and was worried about putting it up for display in his store ( high end clothing shop/tailor)

Stopped there a few years ago he did have it up for display in a nice glass case on the wall

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much are plane tickets to Mogadishu?  Because you could almost get a real RPG for that much, including the round trip ticket.

(Ok, a round trip ticket probably is probably going to be a lot more than a grand, but still)

I always ask the guys to pick me up a RPG when we fly in Kabul.........they only laugh.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top