Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 3:12:39 PM EDT
My faucet in the tub is leaking and it's getting worse. Can this kind of faucet assembly be repaired or do I have to buy a new one. How do I fix it? Thanks

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
you need a set of shower wrenches.....

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in a small town so I'll probably have to order the wrenches. The hot side is the only one that leaks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. They can be repaired. I usually take one side apart. Then take the whole valve to the hardware store. Ace hardware will have a better selection over HD and Lowes. Match up the rubber parts of the valves seats and assemble in reverse order. It is really easy and A LOT cheaper than replacement. Make sure to use some plumbers grease liberally on the seats before you put the stem back in.

ETA: I have repaired a lot of these valves professionally and have never needed those wrenches
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
plummers
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace the cartridge...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

plummers

He didn't get a 'b' in spelling...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I love plums!  What can I do for you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
plummers

He didn't get a 'b' in spelling...

That may be the first time in my life I spelled plumber, thanks for making me feel stupid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
plumberz
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Ass crack?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The wrenches should be easy to find...I agree on taking the entire valve stem to the hardware store.....good idea to change both hot and cold regardless of which one is leaking...+1 on the plumbers grease on all threads....if changing washers doesnt do the job, the valve seat could need to be cut..there's a tool for that too
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My shower handle fixture looks nearly identical to that one and it's the newer style which doesn't require the stem wrenches. Any good hardware store should have them, but if you need them it's more than likely that you'll end up breaking it off. Just suck it up and buy the new assy. It'll cost you only a little more than the stem wrench set.

If you pull the knob off and take a pic for us we could tell you what type it is. Mine has a plastic sleeve which unscrews and lets the guts out. No stem wrench needed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Look on youtube for how to videos.

Like this.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Try replacing the washers––you don't need those wrenches.  If possible, replace the valve seats as well.  You need to buy a special tool but it is less than $8.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys, you couldn't be more on time with this thread.

I'm trying to fix my bathroom faucet as we speak and have finally run out of options for jury rigging my stuff.

Who knew the interweb was good for more than just entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What could go wrong with plumbing.

Should be a ten minute job, and only one trip to the hardware store.

P.S. The older your place is, the easier it gets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes. They can be repaired. I usually take one side apart. Then take the whole valve to the hardware store. Ace hardware will have a better selection over HD and Lowes. Match up the rubber parts of the valves seats and assemble in reverse order. It is really easy and A LOT cheaper than replacement. Make sure to use some plumbers grease liberally on the seats before you put the stem back in.

ETA: I have repaired a lot of these valves professionally and have never needed those wrenches

Basically this.  You just need to replace some rubber washers, and you can probably take the whole thing apart with nothing more than a Philips head screwdriver and a set of Channellocks or Vicegrips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I got it fixed with yous guys's help. It was actually quite simple now that it's done. I was able to fix it by removing only one phillips screw. I took the center screw out of the knob, pulled the extension out, pulled the little valve thing out, removed the little black spring and rubber cup deal that was smashed into the opening, took it to the hardware store, got it matched from the 1000 different styles available, and then lubed it up with plumbers lube, reversed dissassembly and wa fricken la it worked! Here is a couple of photos of the offending parts.

This metal piece is supposed to be flat, not dished.

This piece was also fubar and would no longer seat correctly on the screwed up metal piece, hence the continual flow of water past it.

This particular faucet is a Delta brand. Hopefully this post will help someone else with drip woes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What could go wrong with plumbing.

Should be a ten minute job, and only one trip to the hardware store.

P.S. The older your place is, the easier it gets.

Truth.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I got it fixed with yous guys's help. It was actually quite simple now that it's done. I was able to fix it by removing only one phillips screw. I took the center screw out of the knob, pulled the extension out, pulled the little valve thing out, removed the little black spring and rubber cup deal that was smashed into the opening, took it to the hardware store, got it matched from the 1000 different styles available, and then lubed it up with plumbers lube, reversed dissassembly and wa fricken la it worked! Here is a couple of photos of the offending parts.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1837-1.jpg

This metal piece is supposed to be flat, not dished.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1838.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1839.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1840.jpg

This piece was also fubar and would no longer seat correctly on the screwed up metal piece, hence the continual flow of water past it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1841.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/IMG_1842.jpg

This particular faucet is a Delta brand. Hopefully this post will help someone else with drip woes.

That's the newer style stuff as I suspected. Be very grateful you didn't need the stem wrenches...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top