Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:15:55 PM EDT
I bought my two little ones a couple for Xmas and I am now hooked.  I launched a few as a kid but can't remember it being this much fun!

UPS stopped a few days ago and my kids were asking what's in the box dad?  I said a rocket. They got all excited and said wow you bought us another one?  Ummm, no guys dad bought his own.

It's great to be a kid again!!  

BTW... the wife isn't pleased that I have found a new hobby on top of fishing, guns, reloading etc....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to pack the parachute portion of the rocket with black powder as a kid

Parachute ejection launch charge goes off......kaplooie! Gotta buy the cheap ones to do this more than a few times.

Lots of fun when you're 14. Of course mom and dad thought that it was educational. At least I wasn't watching TV.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
loved them as a kid. Too poor for a new hobby right now, resisting the urge!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear ya with the cost. However that's actually what surprised me the most.  I bought a 2 rocket kit with everything except the motors and wadding and it was under $30 shipped.

A good solid stand alone rocket kit varies from $8-$30 if ya don't get into the multi stage ones.   Not bad considering the cost of other "guy" hobbies as my wife calls them. LOL
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just talking to my brother about this a couple of days ago on the phone.

We and some of our friends used to be really into it several decades ago, and he was talking about wanting to start his kids into in the next few years.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My family loves model rocketry. Bought my dad an Estes Saturn V model for X-mas this year. Plan to help him build it and launch it later this year when he turns 60.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
go big or go home!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Tripoli's Site

If they have a club launch scheduled nearby, you can watch the big stuff (up to N motor) fly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I try to get out to HELLFIRE every year. It saves me money watching everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool links!  I think I will stick with the small rockets. My wife would kill me if I bought a rocket that would cost over $20 a launch LOL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to build and launch them when I was a kid.

Gone are the days when Toys R Us had a whole aisle of rocket motors.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I pretty much stick with Estes these days, I find the best pricing at AC Supply.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#12]
In a couple years when my daughter is old enough I am getting back into this.  When I was a kid I always wanted to launch the bigger rockets, now I will finallly be able to afford it.  Plus when the wife gives me the I'll be able to tell her, "but honey, it's for the children."
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out Fliskits.

Chasing high-power certifications can be more expensive than shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Decades ago we used to shoot of TONS of estes rockets, tons of fun.  Being compulsive like I am, I would probably go broke quickly trying to get to this level if I bought another $12 cardboard Estes kit.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to be Tripoli certified. I still have all of my launch gear (Including the old Estes stuff that is a toy campared to the LOC launcher...) great hobby. Got my ticket with a I330 smokey Sam engine. Fun stuff.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Check out Tripoli's Site

If they have a club launch scheduled nearby, you can watch the big stuff (up to N motor) fly.

+1

most of the time you can attend a launch and ask questions, get to see others launch and spend no money.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Public missiles is where I bought my last rocket from...there are a few that you can get that don't require special licensing.
The difference between these and the estes is these are built like tanks...phenolic tubes, fiberglass fins, etc...

http://publicmissiles.com/
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]
My brothers and I were big into it back in the early 70's before high school.

My son liked it too when he was in junior high.

I'd like to do it again, because it is a lot of fun.  But does anyone know whatever happened to Centuri rockets?

LC
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
If you keep the hobby small and the kids involved, where even a two stage estes stays 'fun', it doesn't cost much at all.   To them, 200' is a mile.   $200 keeps a fleet.  Once you go 'hobby', nothing you can buy costs just $200.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My brothers and I were big into it back in the early 70's before high school.

My son liked it too when he was in junior high.

I'd like to do it again, because it is a lot of fun.  But does anyone know whatever happened to Centuri rockets?

LC

I forgot about them. Seems like Estes took over everything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in a city so I never get my rockets back (intact, at least).  It's gotten to the point where I just build a new rocket from scratch, every time, except for the nosecone and that metal piece that holds the engine, using patterns I've collected since I was a kid.  I don't even bother to paint them unless I'm making a day out of it.

I've never pulled off a three stage rocket, from beginning to end.  Either something goes wrong, or everything goes right and it flies out of sight, never to be seen again.

BTW gentleman, they are a great summer date idea.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

BTW gentleman, they are a great summer date idea.

Subliminal Messaging.

Got it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#23]
You sum bitches!

First it was a decent telescope for the kid, now THIS!!!

God this website costs me more money than hookers and blow..........
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm...  Hookers and blow!  Now that's a hobby!!!

The 3 stage rockets look like a blast.  If I only had a field big enough I'd buy one today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#25]
My brother and myself used to have our own fleet of rockets, and when we would go and launch them it was an all day affair. Sadly we got older and we threw them out. We have talked several times about rebuilding the fleet
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hear ya with the cost. However that's actually what surprised me the most.  I bought a 2 rocket kit with everything except the motors and wadding and it was under $30 shipped.

A good solid stand alone rocket kit varies from $8-$30 if ya don't get into the multi stage ones.   Not bad considering the cost of other "guy" hobbies as my wife calls them. LOL

hehehehehe you just wait grasshoppah........Estes kits are a gateway drug to get to to high-power Rocketry..go take a look at tripoli.org.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I can find my old Big Foot launch pad somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Back in the 90s I was into it. I had a bunch. My favorite was the one that had an onboard camera that took a pic when the chute deployed. Lost it first time it went up
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Built one back in Jr. High. I wanted to make a launch rail similar to an rpg. Never got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hehehehehe you just wait grasshoppah........Estes kits are a gateway drug to get to to high-power Rocketry..go take a look at tripoli.org.

No damn it, I will not look.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I loved them as a kid and built a few with my son.  I got sick of the estes launch system failing and built my own.  We do not currently have anywhere that we can launch them.
A kid I went to high school with was missing the top half of the first digit of his thumb.  He had a launch failure. He went to reset and his failure turned into a success while he was pulling out the ignitor.  I believe he received some cash from Estes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No damn it, I will not look.  

"These are not the rockets you are looking for'  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]
the thrust charge portion of a model rocket engine is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
the thrust charge portion of a model rocket engine is a wonderful thing.

Tag
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#35]
When I was home over break, I found the launch controller I made as a kid.  I've probably got unbuilt rockets at my parents place, too.  No motors though...those all were used for "other" purposes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

When I was home over break, I found the launch controller I made as a kid.  I've probably got unbuilt rockets at my parents place, too.  No motors though...those all were used for "other" purposes.

yeah, we made a bazooka with the rockets, PVC pipe, and cardboard tubes with balsa fins.

Had an electric battery launcher and a plexi face blast shield.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep, that solid propellant can be fun (but IS dangerous). My brother used to cut them open (since we were out of rockets..) and tape a strike anywhere match to a LONG stick (10+ feet) and light those suckers off. The kid next door thought the long stick wasn't needed. He didn't have eyelashes, eyebrows, or bangs for a month after thinking that! Doh!

Rob
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I used to pack the parachute portion of the rocket with black powder as a kid

Parachute ejection launch charge goes off......kaplooie! Gotta buy the cheap ones to do this more than a few times.

Lots of fun when you're 14. Of course mom and dad thought that it was educational. At least I wasn't watching TV.

I used to stuff Black Cats, fuse down, into there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll admit to having fun with Estes rockets!  Did it as a kid, then picked up again when my son was a Cub Scout, now I make them and shott them off for the grandkids too.  A buddy of mine's older brother is a chemical engineer, who makes his own liquid fuel rockets.  Has a corporation for it.  Yoyodyne propulsion.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Here was my biggest... I launched it j-j, and j-k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top