Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 1:00:12 PM EDT
Who sees this coming down the pike if the economy takes another dive?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What would Guy on a Buffalo do?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Put a stove on your foot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait until some oil exporting country decides it doesn't want the dollars we print willy-nilly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt they would ban possession outright.  I can see them attempting to clamp down on the market though, maybe requiring all transactions to be reported.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I doubt they would ban possession outright.

They did before.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
They can confiscate my gold . . . bullets first.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did before.

Back when gold was the legal backing for the currency.  Now it's just another commodity.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Back when gold was the legal backing for the currency.  Now it's just another commodity.

So?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did before.

People are starting to use gold again for major transactions. Trump just did it for a piece of his property.

If a general trend starts, the .gov might see that as a threat to their legitimacy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Do a search for Guy on a Buffalo episodes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So?

So... they did it because hoarding of gold causes economic stagnation when you're on the gold standard.

When we're not on the gold standard, the government doesn't care if we hoard it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
That was awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So?

So... they did it because hoarding of gold causes economic stagnation when you're on the gold standard.

When we're not on the gold standard, the government doesn't care if we hoard it.

See my above post.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Hype, generated by those who want you to buy gold.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Completely forgetting the fact that the dollar's value has been trending downward since we left the gold standard.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely forgetting the fact that the dollar's value has been trending downward since we left the gold standard.

LOL
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did before.

No they didn't.  They removed gold from the money supply.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They did before.

No they didn't.  They removed gold from the money supply.  
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/aptrgangr/Executive_Order_6102.jpg

By assigning a criminal penalty to the simple fact of owning something, that IMO fits the criteria of a ban.

30rd magazines anyone?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that this is not 1933 and I don't think we will see restriction owning gold by a gov't that is not backing our monetary system with it.

The gold salesmen always use Chicken Little tactics to convince people that they need to buy gold or they will starve to death when we become a modern equivalent of Weimar Germany.  The scare tactics are very effective but not an honest assessment of what gold will do for them.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't see the .gov wanting to do this, but they certainly could if they wanted to. It affects interstate commerce.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I think this commercial is based upon a scene from the second book in the "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" series by Matt Bracken.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think this commercial i based upon a scene from the second book in the "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" series by Matt Bracken.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My point is that this is not 1933 and I don't think we will see restriction owning gold by a gov't that is not backing our monetary system with it.

The gold salesmen always use Chicken Little tactics to convince people that they need to buy gold or they will starve to death when we become a modern equivalent of Weimar Germany.  The scare tactics are very effective but not an honest assessment of what gold will do for them.

What does it matter what people in our government want? The economy governed by those people doesn't produce as much as economies governed by foreigners. What if, hypothetically, we're in a 1930s kind of period, where contractual agreements for future payments can be jeopardized by complete failure due to war? The US government can print money until foreigners decide they want payment in other forms. We still need foreign energy resources to keep our economy going.

The USA is vulnerable to this risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top