Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 12:57:14 PM EDT
What maglite upgrades are out there for the basic D-cell maglite ?

I've seen one mentioned a couple times on here and not seeing anything in a search.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Donate D-cell Maglite to Goodwill or a scout troop.
2. Buy CREE LED light in your preferred manufacturer/lumen rating/battery type/etc.

I'm surprised Mag took so long to jump on the LED light wagon. Now their form factor is ridiculously dated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Well a long time ago I bought an LED bulb from Sears Hardware for a 3D Maglight.  It was cheap so I thought whatever.

The damn light is pretty good now.  It's brighter and the batteries last forever.  It's still big but it made it work the way it should.  It's never going to be a super tactical Tier1 light but it is useful.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Malkoff for those with deep pockets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you can get an LED upgrade bulb very inexpensively, just get a brand new maglite brand LED. I upgraded one with a decent brand LED bulb, and it was still not as good as a brand new led maglite from Home Depot. Cost for a new one was only a few bucks more than the individual led bulb I got. I did buy a 50 dollar led upgrade for a 4d model. that one was pretty good, as bright as a car headlight. But for the money, the stock LED is very good. Anything more that 3-d cells is unneccessary, 2d is still very good. The big lights have the advantage of producing light for a long time at pretty high output.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Unless you can get an LED upgrade bulb very inexpensively, just get a brand new maglite brand LED. I upgraded one with a decent brand LED bulb, and it was still not as good as a brand new led maglite from Home Depot. Cost for a new one was only a few bucks more than the individual led bulb I got. I did buy a 50 dollar led upgrade for a 4d model. that one was pretty good, as bright as a car headlight. But for the money, the stock LED is very good. Anything more that 3-d cells is unneccessary, 2d is still very good. The big lights have the advantage of producing light for a long time at pretty high output.
They make a useful baton as well, but it's not like there are times when you need just a little visual cue that you don't want to be hassled.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well a long time ago I bought an LED bulb from Sears Hardware for a 3D Maglight.  It was cheap so I thought whatever.

The damn light is pretty good now.  It's brighter and the batteries last forever.  It's still big but it made it work the way it should.  It's never going to be a super tactical Tier1 light but it is useful.

this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Donate D-cell Maglite to Goodwill or a scout troop.
2. Buy CREE LED light in your preferred manufacturer/lumen rating/battery type/etc.

I'm surprised Mag took so long to jump on the LED light wagon. Now their form factor is ridiculously dated.

This.  There are much better lights out there these days.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The LED Maglites suck. I've tried most of the LED "upgrades" for the incandescent lights and they really aren't a whole lot better.

You're better off just buying a different flashlight.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
E2D.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
For a 2 cell D Maglite, replace the bulb with a Pelican #3854 bulb and put a couple of 18650 lithium ion cells in it. You will have to either use a section of PVC pipe or wrap some gasket material or whatever around the cells to make up the difference in cell diameter. Don't leave it on for more than a few minutes unless you get an aftermarket aluminum reflector and glass lens, because it will melt the plastic stuff. Also don't run it completely dead because LI cells can explode if you do that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

makes me want one
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh yeah.  I have one in a Maglite 2AA.  It rocks.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For a 2 cell D Maglite, replace the bulb with a Pelican #3854 bulb and put a couple of 18650 lithium ion cells in it. You will have to either use a section of PVC pipe or wrap some gasket material or whatever around the cells to make up the difference in cell diameter. Don't leave it on for more than a few minutes unless you get an aftermarket aluminum reflector and glass lens, because it will melt the plastic stuff. Also don't run it completely dead because LI cells can explode if you do that.

That all sounds really compelling!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That all sounds really compelling!  

It's worth it, when you see how much light it makes.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a LED bulb made my nite eyez (I think that is how the brand is spelled) improved brightness, and batteries last forever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a LED bulb made my nite eyez (I think that is how the brand is spelled) improved brightness, and batteries last forever.

That company also sells a tail-clcker endcap for the AA Maglite, 3 brightness levels + a strobe mode. Plus a small red blinking light in the clicker cap so you can find it in the dark.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I got one of those and was reasonably pleased.  2C maglight was reasonably handy and had lots of light.  If you already have the maglights its an ok deal, if you don't you'd probably be better off with some 18650 powered LED lights.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nite-Ize makes two LED upgrades for D/C-cell Mag-lites:  A 1/2 watt, which is not very bright but runs 90+ hours, and a 1-watt, which is about 60 lumens and runs about 20-30 hours.

If you want to do it on the cheap, Dorcy makes a 40 lumen upgrade for about $4-6.

However, as others have implied, iunless you have some nostalgic attachment to your old light it may be better to just buy a new light.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
TerraLux makes some great drop in.  There is a 700 lumen and 1000 lumen upgrade for the 4 and 6 D cell maglite
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I received one of these Coleman MAX LED lights as a Christmas gift:

They are available from Wal-Mart for $24.88. They use 3 AAA batteries, produce 110 lumens of light, have an adjustable beam from flood to spot, are made of aerospace grade aluminum and have an advertised run time of 3 hours. They use the high power CREE LEDs. The Coleman Model # is 2000006533.

I was so impressed by these flashlights that I went to Wal-Mart today and picked up several more of them. They blow away my 5 D-Cell Mag-lite, and make the smaller 3 D-cell Mag-Lite look like toys in comparison. Yet they are about the same size of the Surefire G2 or 6P, while outperforming them in terms of brightness and costing a fraction of the price. I plan to eventually buy enough of these to have one in every room of the house, in the vehicles and another for the BOB. The Mag-Lite was my standard household and vehicle light for years. But they have been effectively retired now that I've discovered a great value in the Coleman LED lights. You get Surefire 6P type brightness, performance and size for the price of what the 3 D-Cell Mag-Lite typically runs.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Not worth it, buy a new light that uses lithium rechargeable 18650 cells. I love Fenix lights myself!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks for info. I just ordered a couple.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#25]
dup
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a ton of TerraLux products.  Their stand alone lights are great for the price and can take a ton of abuse.  I have one of the Lightstar 100's mounthed to my AR pistol.

I run the 700 lumen upgrade in my 4 Dcell at work and I have one of the prototype 1000 lumen upgrades in my magcharger.  Its like having the power of the sun in your hands.  I can light a 5th floor apartment from a block away with it.  The regular versions should be shipping out soon.

Downside is that, that much power doesnt last real long on a regular D Cell maglite.  So youre better off running a magcharger.

I also have the little minimag upgrade with the tail cap.  For the size of light it is, it puts out quite a bit of light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top