Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:50:45 AM EDT
Hey, everybody.

I'm just curious how many would support this.  

I am a veteran and frequent user of US National Parks.  I typically buy the annual pass from year to year.  However, I would prefer to pay once and have a lifetime acess pass for me and the passengers (up to 3) in my car, much like the current America the Beautiful Pass available to senior citizens and disabled folks.

Would you support a Veteran's Lifetime Pass to the National Parks?

Brian
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]

<––vet

voted 'low cost'

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Disabled Vet gets free pass to all National Parks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How disabled?  I doubt my lowly 10% is worth shit...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Lifetime passes?  Ok!  Just for Veterans?  No.

Regardless of respect, we shouldn't divide our population into special classes.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Join now! and become a Citizen!"  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd gladly pay for a lifetime pass, but,  I would like to see that option available for everybody, not just veterans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a .mil id still?  VA card?  Should get you in.

http://mva.sd.gov/News/HT%20-%20National%20Access%20Pass%20Available%20for%20Disabled%20Veterans.pdf
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a .mil id still?  VA card?  Should get you in.

http://mva.sd.gov/News/HT%20-%20National%20Access%20Pass%20Available%20for%20Disabled%20Veterans.pdf

Still in.  I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your thoughts, everybody.

I'm think I'm going to try to do this, so I might be asking for some formal support in the vet's forum in a few days/weeks.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
No.  We need equality under the law and all fees, taxes, etc... should apply equally to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
If that is the case then there should be a mandatory military service for everybody as soon as they graduate high school just to be equal.  

Keep in mind us military vets volunteered to serve our country first then going to college. When our peers decided to go to college to get drunk and make fools of themselves we were some far off land on duty missing birthdays, holidays, and important family events.  At the end of our service majority of us sustain lifetime injuries.  

Benefits that are entitled to us are earned for our sacrifices than we can never get back.  

Quoted:
No.  We need equality under the law and all fees, taxes, etc... should apply equally to everyone.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If that is the case then there should be a mandatory military service for everybody as soon as they graduate high school just to be equal.  

Keep in mind us military vets volunteered to serve our country first then going to college. When our peers decided to go to college to get drunk and make fools of themselves we were some far off land on duty missing birthdays, holidays, and important family events.  At the end of our service majority of us sustain lifetime injuries.  

Benefits that are entitled to us are earned for our sacrifices than we can never get back.  

Quoted:

Where does that end?  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed I can not even remember the last time I slept through the night.

And many of us also carry non-visible scars.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]
i am 100% service connected.

i think its funny that non vets are upset that they dont get their entitlement.  you did nothing, you deserve nothing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Paying to enter a national park is like paying to park in your own driveway    
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This for nearly all things.

Too much complexity and special privileges already.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Join now! and become a Citizen!"  

Would you like to know more...?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree. this is why military service should be compulsory.  you want freedom, liberty, and everything that goes with being an American, pay your share.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I would be in favor for a free entrance for vets and active military on memorial weekend or veterans day but not a lifetime pass.

If you are going to offer a lifetime pass to the public, offer it for everyone. a yearly pass is not that expensive (~$35 i believe). so a lifetime pass should be about $100 - $150
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree. this is why military service should be compulsory.  you want freedom, liberty, and everything that goes with being an American, pay your share.

If it were compulsory how would you deal with the reality that some educational/career/professional paths require NONSTOP education and career experience.  In particular I'd point to paths that require advanced mathematics.  I believe it would be very difficult to suspend advanced mathematical education, and early career usage of same, for a period of military service.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
yes, im sure that high school math would all disolve out of your brain if you served this country for 2 years. i bet they even have careers in the military that might use math.  but, if you had to put the country ahead of your own interests that might cause you to be behind on your math classes for a short time. give me a break. everyone who didnt serve has an excuse why.

" i like guns, and freedom, but I wanted a high paying career right away, so I let you guys do it for me"
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please. Lets all give vets a golden chariot and reserved parking while we're at it. I didn't volunter, I was drafted. While I do support the idea of national service, there are some vets (not a lot) who seem to have an attitude of entitlement. Yes we missed a lot, some of us got shot at and some worse. But we also got benefits the general public does not. Enough already.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Free lifetime pass should be part of your benefits.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top