Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 7:38:43 AM EDT
First off I'm new to the board and have just ordered my first AR which is where my problem comes in.  I bought without doing a whole lot of research, but have since been reading quite a bit.  I ordered the Bushmaster ORC with plans of adding several pieces of Magpul equipment to it.  I have since learned that I could have gotten the Colt 6920 MOE for $1100 with everything I wanted on it.  To add the same equipment to the Bushmaster I will be in it for the same money.  Here is where my issue comes in.  I ordered the gun last week and it was supposed to have been here last Friday.  The dealer is not certain where it is at and the website that they ordered it from says they are out of stock.  I am wondering if it is acceptable to call the dealer and ask them to change my order.  Also if the gun has already shipped and arrives is there anything that I can do to change the order at that point?  I know it will probably depend on the dealer bu they are not open yet and I am just wanting some opinions.  I have already paid in full. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
i would definitely call them.  all they can say is no.  I'd much rather have a Colt than a BM (I own both ftr).

I must admit I find it interesting when people buy a stripped down AR like the ORC and immediately add $4-500 worth of upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If it has already shipped you're S.O.L.

The dealer might take a trade-in of your new-in-box ORC towards the price of the 6920, but you paid for it and he shipped it in especially for you.

If it hasn't shipped yet you can probably still change your order, since he won't be stuck with a gun he didn't want on his shelves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Uhm - this sounds like an issue related to the dealer and his policies and how he deals with order changes, not about technical aspects of the AR15.  

Unless someone knows the particular dealer, I don't think anyone here can answer this question.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I just didn't do my research.  I added up and by the time I change out the handguard, stock, add a front grip and iron sights I will be over the cost of the Colt MOE which comes fully equipped with all of that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uhm - this sounds like an issue related to the dealer and his policies and how he deals with order changes, not about technical aspects of the AR15.  

Unless someone knows the particular dealer, I don't think anyone here can answer this question.

~Augee

Sorry, wasn't sure where to post, was just looking for some opinions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I would still ask the dealer maybe he'll cut you some slack,I've done the same thing before...lesson learned on my part
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#7]
id call the dealer see if you can make the trade.

then either get a Palmetto middy MOE for less.

or fork out $300ish more and get a Larue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If your FFL ordered an out of stock AR from another vendor, have him cancel it.
Then go buy the one yourself.  
Clearly your FFL doesn't know what he is doing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
No, text blocks are not acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Just enjoy your new BM.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd see if the dealer can cancel the BM and order the Colt. Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it has already shipped you're S.O.L.

The dealer might take a trade-in of your new-in-box ORC towards the price of the 6920, but you paid for it and he shipped it in especially for you.

If it hasn't shipped yet you can probably still change your order, since he won't be stuck with a gun he didn't want on his shelves.

This

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought without doing a whole lot of research, but have since been reading quite a bit.

Nope, not at all acceptable.  Next time do your research first.

I ordered the Bushmaster ORC with plans of adding several pieces of Magpul equipment to it.  I have since learned that I could have gotten the Colt 6920 MOE for $1100 with everything I wanted on it.  To add the same equipment to the Bushmaster I will be in it for the same money.  Here is where my issue comes in.  I ordered the gun last week and it was supposed to have been here last Friday.  The dealer is not certain where it is at and the website that they ordered it from says they are out of stock.  I am wondering if it is acceptable to call the dealer and ask them to change my order.  Also if the gun has already shipped and arrives is there anything that I can do to change the order at that point?  I know it will probably depend on the dealer bu they are not open yet and I am just wanting some opinions.  I have already paid in full. Thanks in advance.

The dealer can certainly contact the distributor and get the status of your order as well as a tracking number for the package if it shipped.  If it didn't ship yet then the dealer can probably (depending on how tight he is with the sales rep) change the order to a different rifle.

The dealer may also hit you with a restocking fee, especially if the rifle has shipped, as the distributor will want one if the dealer returns it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#15]
How did you pay? If you paid by credit/debit card, and the dealer won't work with you, usually your bank can help get your money back. It will probably piss the dealer off especially if the bank refunds you his restocking fee.
I don't know about guns since (I assume) you've already filled out a yellow sheet on the gun so I don't know if the bank's policy would apply in that situation. The sooner you work on it the better especially before you take possession of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Got in touch with the dealer this Morning and found out that the gun is going to be here tomorrow. He had ordered it from a different vendor apparently. He said he cannot send it back so he has no choice. I have not filled out any information or taken ownership of the gun however I did order the weapon without doing any major research first. A couple of buddies had the BM so I got it too. I feel like it was my commitment to purchase the weapon and he made the order in good faith that I would do so, so I will honor that. My plan is to use this strictly for hunting and learning my way around ARs and I will order something better down the road for self defense and training purposes. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#17]
WELCOME

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Your bushmaster will serve you well.
I bought my first AR in 2006 and it was a BM.  I never had any problems with it.

It is almost guaranteed that if you hang out here long enough, you will get a 2nd one.
Get your Colt then.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure the dealer would love to sell you something... and an in-stock rifle beats an out-of-stock rifle, since he can make the sale sooner.

Call him and tell him that if the BM hasn't shipped, to cancel the order and get you the Colt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Call him and tell him that if the BM hasn't shipped, to cancel the order and get you the Colt.

perhaps the thread already contains relevant information, three posts above yours?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Got in touch with the dealer this Morning and found out that the gun is going to be here tomorrow. He had ordered it from a different vendor apparently. He said he cannot send it back so he has no choice. I have not filled out any information or taken ownership of the gun however I did order the weapon without doing any major research first. A couple of buddies had the BM so I got it too. I feel like it was my commitment to purchase the weapon and he made the order in good faith that I would do so, so I will honor that. My plan is to use this strictly for hunting and learning my way around ARs and I will order something better down the road for self defense and training purposes. Thanks for all the replies.

OK, you've gotten the first hit of BRD, I'm going to make it worse... See, now you've got one AR (or will when you pick it up from the dealer), but you want all sorts of changes to it, without having even started shooting it.  One of the site vendors currently has a sale on their stripped lower receivers for $49.95 +7 S+H.  Grab one or more and stick them in your safe.  Now, as you try different accessories, triggers, rails, grips, etc and find ones you like, order them and put them on the stripped lower.  Eventually you'll have a rifle exactly as YOU want it, while still having a 'stock' AR for comparison.  Heck, I've got a stripped lower and a partially built one in the safe and I'm STILL considering picking up two or possibly even three of the PSA lowers on sale...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top