Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:27:00 AM EDT
I purchased on 12/16/2011 an Alienware M17X R3 3d laptop from Dell Outlet store.  It was about $800 cheaper than buying it new, and has a as-new warranty.  Same service and support as if I bought it new.  It was delivered on 12/21/2011.  I hooked it up to my DSL and performed all the updates for Windows, etc.  Left it on overnight as there were over 80 updates to install.

On 12/22/2011 the display started to go out.  Hooked to external monitor, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.  

Just got off the phone with Dell tech support.  It is being shipped back to be delivered today by 4:30 PM.

They replaced the Video card, the CPU and the memory.  Is there anything left, besides the motherboard that they could have replaced?  LOL
What happened to their quality control.  This machine was "Certified Refurbished".  Certified by who?  The janitor?

This is just silly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Get your money back and run from Dell IMO. I bought a 27"LCD (u2711 for those that know high-end displays), top of the line panel from them 11/29.

It arrived 12/6 and was dead by 12/13.

They promised me an overnight replacement by 12/15 that never shipped.

Called 'em back on 12/21 "we don't know why it didn't ship" you'll have one by 12/23.

Called end of day 12/23, no monitor, didn't ship.

"Should have one by 12/27". Nope... no replacement. .

Called and put in writing a demanded refund 12/27.

Was told they would email me a label for the return. Had to have the broken LCD in their hands before the refund can occur. Nope...never emailed me the return label.

Yesterday they called and told me they were shipping a replacement... out of

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
absolute junk...sell it or get a refund.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Dell Outlet store has a 30-day return policy.  I plan on torture testing this machine when I get it back.  Any more glitches and I will send it right back to them demanding a refund.  

I am suffering major withdrawal symptoms at the moment.  This machine was to replace my home built desktop that has been chugging along for almost 7 years now.  It finally went tango-uniform and I didn't feel like fixing it again.  

We'll see.  I haven't had any problems with Dell in the past really.  I'll give them their 30 days.   If it's fixed, I'm happy.  If not, I'll get my money back and go on down the road.  I can build a hell of a desktop with the money I paid for this "certified refurb" laptop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree, I've had to Alienware pcs (laptop and desktop) and learned my lesson, and decided to educate myself on building my own machines, which as it turns out, are more powerful, have tons of features, no bloat and are a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I've had to Alienware pcs (laptop and desktop) and learned my lesson, and decided to educate myself on building my own machines, which as it turns out, are more powerful, have tons of features, no bloat and are a fraction of the cost.

The OP bought a laptop.
Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll throw this out there.  I've been buying Dell laptops since 2004, and currently have an Alienware M17xR1 and a Dell mini netbook.  I've suggested the purchase of Dell compys to multiple people, resulting in a further 5 laptops and 2 desktops purchased.  None of these purchased machines have had any major issues, although they were all purchased new and generally with the awesome 20 to 33% coupons you can occasionally find online which reduce the slightly inflated prices to something reasonable.

Don't knock Dell for a crummy refurb product, its a refurb for a reason.

Next time your looking to buy a dell or any other brand of computer look here http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm?f=f

As to your question, no there isn't much of anything left to replace on that machine except the motherboard.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
ALienware's QC went in the toilet as soon as they were bought by Dell.

I've got a 5 year old 19" ALX laptop that is still going strong. I've never had an issue with it. I have a couple of friends that have bought Alienware laptops after Dell bought them out, and they've all had problems. Some have had thier machines replaced, and the replacements had the same issue as the one that was sent back. That isn't acceptable for a laptop with the hefty price tag Alienware puts on them. I was hoping they'd get theQC issues worked out, but obviously they're still not the same quality they used to be. What a shame.

If they've replace the video card, memory and cpu, about the only things left to fail are the motherboard, display and the hard drives(s). If it were me, I'd take it back for a refund. I would be willing to bet there are other issues as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
look at asus laptops , much better and they make some good gaming laptops with much better QC and cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get your money back and run from Dell IMO. I bought a 27"LCD (u2711 for those that know high-end displays), top of the line panel from them 11/29.

Called 'em back on 12/21 "we don't know why it didn't ship" you'll have one by 12/23.

Was told they would email me a label for the return. Had to have the broken LCD in their hands before the refund can occur. Nope...never emailed me the return label.

I've had a higher end dell lcd running 24/7 for a few years no problems. I've fixed a few others in that time that is mostly due to bad solder joints on the benq power supplies i'd say. Fuck rohs
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you build your own laptops.. wow you are bad ass!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Op just out of curiosity how much hot air was this blowing out the side when you got it and when it was having problems?  Where was it sitting during this time you had it updating?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would be nice...

Hey I just "rebuilt" mine. Took it apart to use the heatgun on the video card portion of the motherboard for the 5-6th time now in the last year. Does that count?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
look at asus laptops , much better and they make some good gaming laptops with much better QC and cheaper.

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be nice...

Hey I just "rebuilt" mine. Took it apart to use the heatgun on the video card portion of the motherboard for the 5-6th time now in the last year. Does that count?

Seems like a common problem these days.  Atleast you won't get lead poisioning so that has to account for something.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had a higher end dell lcd running 24/7 for a few years no problems. I've fixed a few others in that time that is mostly due to bad solder joints on the benq power supplies i'd say. Fuck rohs

Now that I'm supposedly getting a replacement I hope its good to go. Of course they've said I'm getting a replacement 4 times prior to this so we'll see if they actually ship one this time. 2hrs on the phone, 12 different Indians, 1 transferred me into outer space and another dropped the call (yesterday alone). Very nice people but absolutely zero aptitude for problem solving.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, after a long nite on the phone with dell guy (it seems, when you replace the hard drive, it is no longer customary to install the drivers, or anything really, other than the operating system) we have had Elder Scrolls Skyrim running full blast on highest settings and not a single hickeup.  

When I got the work sheet that they include detailing work they had done, they swapped the hard drive, the cpu, the memory, the video card AND the MLB which I can only imagine is the motherboard.  
Qulaity control, let me tell you.  But I will torture this thing pretty good for a few days before I call it cured.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Day 2
Everything is still running strong.  We shall see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top