Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 9:27:39 AM EDT
Usually I get annoyed when it jumps up by .1, but .3!!!(I use a lot of stamps so it adds up!)  Hmmm... .37 for a stamp as of July 1st.  

In consideration of the exigencies of the day, I don't mind giving more to the Feds, but they better spend it in the right places. ie. On HUMINT and not some flashy billion dollar satellite that will only rain debris all over the Sahara while filling the wallets of some fat beaurocrats and governemnt contractors...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Scipio-
you mean .01 and .03, right?

I'd be really pissed if the cost of postage went up a dime or three!!!

A bargain at any price?  I don't [i] think [/i] so!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AGAIN!!!!!
Can we go postal on the postal service ?
View Quote

Don't try this at home as it can only be done by trained professionals on a closed course.

Seriously, though; more people will just use e-mail to communicate. Just another nail in the USPS coffin.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
bushmaster007...

hehe...yeah sorry about that... I meant .01 and .03...but still! grrrrrrr...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I was checking out the FAQs at the USPS website and the rate increase are quite significant. It is going to affect the magazine publishing industry greatly. See for yourself at [url]http://www.usps.com/ratecase/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't this where the pro big gov't pro union types chime in and tell us how [size=3]NOBODY[/size=3] could provide the same service for the same price.

Then, of course, I ask why, if that WERE true, is it ILLEGAL to compete against the USPS.

Then they will say, "No it isn't, PROVE IT."

Then I'll have to post the same case law references I posted last time confirming that Congress has granted the USPS a MONOPOLY.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
What will this do to the ebay people that charge $10 shipping and when you get it you see $3.50 postal ???

PS I love Ebay...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The Postal service screwed up years ago, and we have only just begun to see real price increases.  Back in the 70's they created a pension plan for postal worker, but never bothered to fund it.  The postal charter is to break even every year, and they never bothered to figure in this cost.  

The people hired then will start retiring soon, and somebody has to pay the pension they were promised.  They may be added to the Federal retirement system, in which case all tax payers get soaked.  If not the price of stamps will have to go way up, to cover the billions due.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
UPS and FEDEX are not required to deliver JUNK MAIL, thats certainly one difference.

Also there is no comparison to VOLUME, USPS delivers more mail in 1 day than UPS delivers in year...or something like that....
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isn't this where the pro big gov't pro union types chime in and tell us how [size=3]NOBODY[/size=3] could provide the same service for the same price.

Then, of course, I ask why, if that WERE true, is it ILLEGAL to compete against the USPS.

Then they will say, "No it isn't, PROVE IT."

Then I'll have to post the same case law references I posted last time confirming that Congress has granted the USPS a MONOPOLY.
View Quote

Well, I would love for you to post them again, since I haven't seen them and would like to have them around for my own use.

or you could just e-mail them to me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UPS and FEDEX are not required to deliver JUNK MAIL, thats certainly one difference.

Also there is no comparison to VOLUME, USPS delivers more mail in 1 day than UPS delivers in year...or something like that....
View Quote

Except one little detail:

USPS set the bulk postage rates.  They should be able to turn a profit when THEY set the price.

Re volume, at least PART of the discrepancy is, as above, IT"S ILLEGAL TO COMPETE WITH USPS.  Companies are audited and fined for using private overnight services instead of USPS.

More likely the decision to hire incompetents and pay them exorbitant salaries, and bonuses to the executives notwithstanding abysmal performance individually and system wide.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Except one little detail:

USPS set the bulk postage rates.  They should be able to turn a profit when THEY set the price.

Re volume, at least PART of the discrepancy is, as above, IT"S ILLEGAL TO COMPETE WITH USPS.  Companies are audited and fined for using private overnight services instead of USPS.
View Quote

Uh, not to put too fine a point on it, but:
[red]THE USPS [i]DOES[/i] MAKE A PROFIT ON JUNK MAIL.
IN FACT, THEY MAKE A [i]HELL OF A LOT[/i] OF PROFIT ON JUNK MAIL!
THAT'S WHY YOUR (and my) DAMN MAILBOX IS STUFFED FULL OF THE CRAP EVERY DAY.[/red]

I'd love to see the USPS (and Amtrak) get snuffed.  Then I wouldn't have to deal with all of the CRAP they dump through the slot in my door every day.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What will this do to the ebay people that charge $10 shipping and when you get it you see $3.50 postal ???

PS I love Ebay...
View Quote

Looks like they may pocket a little less for their hidden "handling" charge. Either that or they'll raise their prices.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
They should have just made the stamps .35 a long time ago instead of .34 and saved the difference until now.  Whatever.  

The only mail I seem to get now is gun rags, and bills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top