Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 6:39:39 PM EDT
Its that time, I am a Mechanic and my shop is outside, In the morning it is going to be 9 degrees when I leave and not much warmer when I start work, I got my best thermals ready and I am hoping they will suffice,

So whats the best you have tried, and I dont want hundred dollar pairs either,  just what I can order online or get at wally world or the like

thanks,
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The cold weather gear the Army issues is nice, but I prefer going with removable coveralls that are easy to take on and off. I like carhartt, but it's hard to find around here if you waited this long, fucking hunters
ETA Army stuff is called polartec but I'm not seeing the thermals online, it has a waffle pattern to it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some underarmor knock-offs from the Sportsmans Warehouse and they have been awesome. ColdPruf is the brand name, not the most expensive but they have worked great for hunting this year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Two girls I was giving a ride to, on a scooter, in the cold.

It worked real good. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This
I have several pairs of these top and bottoms.  Love 'em
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
UnderArmour base layer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Polypropylene, or any synthetic fleece.

Remember, cotton kills. Even cheap Walmart fleece is better than anything with cotton in it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This
I have several pairs of these top and bottoms.  Love 'em

That's the polartec, good stuff.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of these.  It is pretty expensive, but incredibly warm.  I really didn't want to spend $80 on a long john shirt, but I bit the bullet and did it.  That thing coupled with an underarmour long sleeve shirt and a condor base 2 shirt and a condor softshell on the outside kept me warm when it was -2F.  I wear carhart insulated pants with this, but I was plenty warm.

It's expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to suggest Helly Hanson but yea little pricey.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
try here

get one of these

i bought a heated vest a couple years ago. you can set the temp. believe this...when your core is warm, your body will send heat to extremities. since the vest heats your heart, lungs, etc, your body heats the rest

i dont know what type of wrenching you do, but i use these with a pair of THIN glove liners under and i have surprisingly good dexterity.

good luck.I know what its like
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Patagonia Cap1 and 2 base layer. I pick the weight based on the activity and go from there. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Not cheap either but Merino wool products like SmartWool have impressed the hell out of me. Last year in a winter class I wore a base layer of smartwool that was lighter than long johns and even though my legs and boots were soaking wet from the snow I never got cold unless I sat still for a while.
Temps were in the teens all weekend.

I have to say I really like the stuff and will be wearing it to the same class again this year along with a better outer layer to stay dry.

Z
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its that time, I am a Mechanic and my shop is outside, In the morning it is going to be 9 degrees when I leave and not much warmer when I start work, I got my best thermals ready and I am hoping they will suffice,

So whats the best you have tried, and I dont want hundred dollar pairs either,  just what I can order online or get at wally world or the like

thanks,

You want to first choose the correct material for what you are doing. For activity like working you do not want a material that retains moisture like cotton. You would want a type of synthetic construction. I just wear my long spandex cycling bottoms and they work great.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Made in the USA and not expensive.  The merino wool socks are also on sale 3 for $12.50.  http://www.goathleticapparel.com/
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Made in the USA and not expensive. The merino wool socks are also on sale 3 for $12.50. http://www.goathleticapparel.com/

+1  

This is a great product.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I will get a set of the Cabelas and try them, I have a pair of the coldpruf bottoms and like them pretty good, don't remember where I got them, I have been wearing the thick white ones that has the ice climber guy on them that walmart sells in the hunting sections, only problem is they are gray and now they are covered in oil spots and look bad

but thanks for all the ideas and I will start experimenting

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Waffle like underwear under a few loose layers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]
using some silk long johns, thin, but warm enough.
Outside work, Carhartt coveralls, arctic lined.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Patagonia Cap1 and 2 base layer. I pick the weight based on the activity and go from there. They are awesome.

This - I have worn this stuff for years and it just works, wet or dry.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Patagonia Capilene.

I work outside on the Continental Divide, at 12,000", at night. Capilene. If I don't have to exercise, then silk. But, for almost every time : Capilene.

-JC
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 army issued. even dipped into the 20s only the thins were needed. the heavys are crazy good at keeping in heat.

heres a set of heavys here
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This - I have worn this stuff for years and it just works, wet or dry.

+1  not to mention the quality construction, mine last for years. You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Silk

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#24]
The polypros I had in the Army were pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#25]
about 2 or 3 years ago I threw every pair I owned out.
Now all I wear all Carhartt or Cabela's flannel, or when its really cold fleece lined jeans.
I friggen love them, and no more of the back getting exposed, or bunching up, or that feeling constricted shit...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#26]
PAS-13s
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#27]
If I am working in my unheated pole barn in the winter I will put on lots of layers.

1 - silk weight black poly pros, top and bottom, issued by Uncle Sam
2 - heavy weight brown poly pros, top and bottom, issued by Uncle Sam
3 - Work trousers and sweatshirt
4 - Insulated work bibs - Carhartt knockoffs
5 - Heavy weight insulated sweatshirt or insulated flannel

That usually does OK down to about 0 degrees if I am moving around some.

Lots of coffee or tea, and frequent breaks to warm the fingers up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Merino wool or good old poly pros.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]
For really cold days I rock Underarmour Cold gear. It heats me up VERY well. Most other days I just wear a long sleeve tee and my arcteryx Atom LT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Take a couple days off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

thanks,

I think the OP wants cheap stuff.   Some of the advice on here is great, but it will cost well over $100.

OP - Go to Wallyworld and look at their insulated Walls 1 pc coveralls.   Should be between 50 and 90 bucks.   Get a set of poly proplene long johns, wool socks, and a decent hat.  Insulated knock-off mechanics gloves work well.  

During my broke-ass college days in central Iowa winters, this setup served me well.   I once used this setup and had to replace an alternator when it was -10F out. Spent 3 hours in the cold.  It wasn't pleasant, but I didn't freeze.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Issue Polypros.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Made in the USA and not expensive.  The merino wool socks are also on sale 3 for $12.50.  http://www.goathleticapparel.com/

I have Underarmour and it is awesome.  For the price, though, these look really good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Ive got two full sets of army cold weather gear. They gave it to us to test in korea....in the spring after winter field ops.  It looked warm though
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep, look no further - I did a lot of blue water sailing in those things, never got cold.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]
The best thermals I have worn is the Cabelas ECWS unionsuit. I just ordered me and the wife two sets of these Rocky Heavyweight Thermals . I have not wore them yet (just got them today) but they feel good and it is fleece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top