Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2012 3:37:24 PM EDT
I guess a Navy Commander is in charge of the defense of America now the scumbag Obama is on Vacation? I guess he phoned the Commander personally to answer the threats  warning US Aircraft carriers to stay out of the Straits of Hormuz?

It's like we're in Bizarro World, where the fuck is the President when someone is threatening to blow up one of our Carriers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/world/middleeast/iran-warns-the-united-states-over-aircraft-carrier.html?_r=1&hp
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather a Navy Admiral respond to such things than Obongo...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Seriously, how can you not agree with this?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It is just his way of voting present on the issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I find it pretty telling and a message to the iranians that the only response they get to thier threats (other than us parking a CSG back in the Gulf) is a Navy O-5 spokesman even mentioning it.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

first post and such

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because by law and centuries of precedent the military is subservient to the civil authority, does not act unilaterally, and is not meant to act in place of the Dept of State?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I am outraged that there is a chain of command.

out

raged

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't dignify their shenanigans with a serious diplomatic response.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]

i'm sure he was fully briefed right after finishing his putt on the ninth, but most definitely before his tee off on the tenth

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

first post and such

Yes of course in this situation with a loser for a CiC, but seriously, when did the President stop answering threats?  Can you imagine if this were during any "R" in office?  I can just hear it now...."Asleep at the wheel" and: "On Vacation again" or: "Who's in charge?"
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because by law and centuries of precedent the military is subservient to the civil authority, does not act unilaterally, and is not meant to act in place of the Dept of State?

And since when does the Obama administration act by law and precedent
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Why even justify or lend credibility to it with an answer?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You don't dignify their shenanigans with a serious diplomatic response.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This. The highest member of government to make a statement would've been SecDef or SecState, they just went with an O5.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Obama needs to sleep on it before making a decision.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I think we've been doing it this way for just over three years.  Except for those damn jews.  He is more than willing to address them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing.

Oh, and that response should have been, "We don't ask permission from Iran to go anywhere".   and he could have closed with a "So,, suck it" .

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Obviously the prez had his mouth full at the time...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

First post nails it.

If I was the leader of a foriegn county that was thinking of starting a stink with the U.S. and Obama answered the phone, I would tell him to put someone on the phone with balls, like his wife.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Guys...listen VERY carefully:  The admiral did NOT speak for himself.  ALL such communications are cleared to the appropriate military and civilian leadership before a single word is uttered.

ANY AND ALL policy statements are fully vetted before distribution.  Read it...understand it and quit worrying about stuff you don't understand!  Sheesh...

ETA:  In our nation's history, at least five general officers in command of major armies have been fired for crossing the line.  This guy did not.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
You do realize this isn't the 1790's and the President has the ability to communicate worldwide in the blink of an eye

Right?

You all let your blind hatred get in the way of reality
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Its an election year He doesn't want to upset the liberals so most likely told the navy to issue a response.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]
One Commander doesn't tolerate threats to the sailors, marines and ships entrusted to his command; and the other is awaiting public opinion poll results before taking action.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I am seeing this a little differently.

You don't want to take these idiots too seriously.  

Having the President, SecDef, or even an Admiral issuing these statements would mean that you actually took the Iranian's threat seriously.  An O-5 Spokesman is the perfect level of "yeah, sure, whatever".

Fuck, I would probably have a public affairs Ensign respond to this foolishness.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I guess a Navy Commander is in charge of the defense of America now the scumbag Obama is on Vacation? I guess he phoned the Commander personally to answer the threats warning US Aircraft carriers to stay out of the Straits of Hormuz?

It's like we're in Bizarro World, where the fuck is the President when someone is threatening to blow up one of our Carriers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/world/middleeast/iran-warns-the-united-states-over-aircraft-carrier.html?_r=1&hp

Back when international communication was slow and difficult most or all of the time, and ship commanders, commodores, and admirals were essentially diplomats, it was quite common.  That ship captain far from home with no direct communication represented his country and had a sort of independence difficult to imagine today.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
The Imam in Chief can say nothing derogatory about fellow Muslims.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Having the President, SecDef, or even an Admiral issuing these statements would mean that you actually took the Iranian's threat seriously.  An O-5 Spokesman is the perfect level of "yeah, sure, whatever".

Fuck, I would probably have a public affairs Ensign respond to this foolishness.

Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess a Navy Commander is in charge of the defense of America now the scumbag Obama is on Vacation? I guess he phoned the Commander personally to answer the threats warning US Aircraft carriers to stay out of the Straits of Hormuz?

Back when international communication was slow and difficult most or all of the time, and ship commanders, commodores, and admirals were essentially diplomats, it was quite common.  That ship captain far from home with no direct communication represented his country and had a sort of independence difficult to imagine today.

Yes but this isn't the Sand Pebble and we have 24/7 news cycles now.  My point (obviously) is Obama is no where to be found again, and what the fuck is he being paid for?  Last President would have released at least a news briefing.  Nothing from Zero at all.  Worst. President. Ever. Loser.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but this isn't the Sand Pebble and 24/7 news cycles.  My point (obviously) is Obama is no where to be found again, and what the fuck is he being paid for?  Last President would have released at least a news briefing.  Nothing from Zero at all.  Worst. President. Ever. Loser.

The point is this isn't something for the President to address.

If Iran attacks our boats, that is a different story.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but this isn't the Sand Pebble and we have 24/7 news cycles now.  My point (obviously) is Obama is no where to be found again, and what the fuck is he being paid for?  Last President would have released at least a news briefing.  Nothing from Zero at all.  Worst. President. Ever. Loser.

What you are not seeming to get, is that there is a very clear message being sent to Iran by him not saying anything........
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but this isn't the Sand Pebble and 24/7 news cycles.  My point (obviously) is Obama is no where to be found again, and what the fuck is he being paid for?  Last President would have released at least a news briefing.  Nothing from Zero at all.  Worst. President. Ever. Loser.

The point is this isn't something for the President to address.

If Iran attacks our boats, that is a different story.

1) This is the Defense Department's appointed spokesman.  He's saying what the Joint Chiefs told him to.

2) His Name is Commander Bill SPEAKS.  That's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
It was an Iranian Military Officer that made the remark.  It should be answered by someone of similar rank.  The use of an O5 is a small slap to the Iranians, but not enough to really sting - just enough to get the point across.  

Remarks by military officer don't set policy (or result in the same magnitude of loss of face when we go back on those remarks) the way that statements from heads of state do.  If A-jad had made this statement, President Obama would have responded.  

That said, I'm sure the Navy didn't say a word to the press until they cleared it with the White House first.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have been fine if they would have grabbed some third class from the mess decks.

"Uh...yeah....that Ahmadiniwhatever guy?....yeah, fuck you.  We'll kick your ass."

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What you are not seeming to get, is that there is a very clear message being sent to Iran by him not saying anything........

That message could and would have been given just as clear as it was in the past administration, with an explanation to the American people and not addressing Iran. I seem to remember the media calling Bush a cowboy for having such clear messages but at least the little dictator stayed in his basement. Not so now, it's only a matter of time before an incident.

What you're not seeming to get is the media has a double standard, normally the President would have been questioned about this and statements issued like:  "the Defense Department is on top of this and responded to them" but no, nothing from Obama or his telepromters.  That pisses me off as we're about to have a whole year of his ass on TV on our dime, telling us how safe he's kept us, and what he's accomplished with smoke and mirrors and the fifth column.

Just as soon as he's off that third or forth in a year, well deserved vacation in Hawaii.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#35]
And how many times did Bush NOT answer stupid rethoric or comments from world leaders and supposed "threats" to our country.  

But hey, if you really need to have something to be angry about, have at it.

ETA, as long as you are complaining about the current Commander in Chief's vacation record, where is the angst and issue with the number of times GW was in Crawford instead of DC post 9-11 through the end of his presidency?   It was a bunch, as I can personnaly attest to.

Do you really think that the President is out of touch and not able to do his job when he is out of DC?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#36]
since 2009
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And how many times did Bush NOT answer stupid rethoric or comments from world leaders and supposed "threats" to our country.  

ETA, as long as you are complaining about the current Commander in Chief's vacation record, where is the angst and issue with the number of times GW was in Crawford instead of DC post 9-11 through the end of his presidency?   It was a bunch, as I can personnaly attest to.

Do you really think that the President is out of touch and not able to do his job when he is out of DC?

Oh...OK.

We've had the discussion about which President took more vacations, and how much they cost a few times here but I guess you missed them?  The press is not counting Zero's trips to Camp David and did so with Bush, plus, Bush gave up golf right after complaints from people like you, only to fawn over Barry and his 95 rounds while a war is going on.  

Camp David and Crawford, Texas cost the American Taxpayers millions less and the Bush was usually was in contact daily.  Your Zero has been in incognito for weeks now, and Bush never went that long. He also conducted meetings each and every time.  I'm not seeing Barry do anything but: sun his nuts and golf while he's at any of the exotic vacation locales he and the Wookie take like: Hawaii twice this year, Spain for her and that looooong one in the Vineyard but....carrry on
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]

ETA: added like 10 hours later.......Wow, that's a cool trick how did they do that?

I checked the picture of the helicopter helping Barry find his ball in Hawaii and I come back tonight and now I'm supporting Obama?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

first post nails it,seriously I really dont obummer apologizing for our carriers being there or something equally stupid
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And since when does the Obama administration act by law and precedent

Are you seriously equating the Obama admin with the US Navy?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#42]
appropriate reply to stupid threat.  Ships Captains have all authority to protect their ship and people that they need.  I'm sure a Carrier Task Force could handle all of Iran in about 30 minutes.

And Iran knows this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'd rather have a president with a pair of working testicles.  In lieu of that, the Navy Admiral will do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Sigh...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh...OK.

We've had the discussion about which President took more vacations, and how much they cost a few times here but I guess you missed them?  The press is not counting Zero's trips to Camp David and did so with Bush, plus, Bush gave up golf right after complaints from people like you, only to fawn over Barry and his 95 rounds while a war is going on.  

Camp David and Crawford, Texas cost the American Taxpayers millions less and the Bush was usually was in contact daily.  Your Zero has been in incognito for weeks now, and Bush never went that long. He also conducted meetings each and every time.  I'm not seeing Barry do anything but: sun his nuts and golf while he's at any of the exotic vacation locales he and the Wookie take like: Hawaii twice this year, Spain for her and that looooong one in the Vineyard but....carrry on

Wow, you are making a lot of assumptions in your posting.  By assuming "who" I perfer, which "side" I am taking, and "what" I know.  I will say I probably have a better Idea of what GWB did at Crawford that pretty much anyone on here as I was there for a good number of his visits in 2001 through summer of 2002.  My unit was one of several tasked to provide specialized support to the boss so my boys and I got to spend some quality time in the Texas Scrub.   At least we did not have far to travel.  So careful what you try to pass off as fact/fiction.

I am not as much in the know on the current President but I am pretty dang sure, the basics have not changed much at all.  

Carefull with assumptions champ, they make you look like a...well, I bet you know the rest.  It is just fun to come in here and taunt the tin foil hat crowd and haters when they are making fools of themselves.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have been fine if they would have grabbed some third class from the mess decks.

"Uh...yeah....that Ahmadiniwhatever guy?....yeah, fuck you.  We'll kick your ass."

FC3:  "If we launch some TLAMs at these assholes now can we pull into a decent port for some beer and pussy next week?"
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#49]
"A further statement from the U.S. Navy is forthcoming."

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hell No! I really think that the President is out of touch and not able to do his job REGARDLESS of where he is!

Some people, sheesh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top