Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:58:05 PM EDT
New Years Eve the family and I were visiting my sister and her family.  They have 3 dogs.  Two are very friendly and one is a "guard dog".  They all run loose and the "guard dog" has always worried me.  He bit my leg once when I happened to walk past him.  I have always kept GSD's and am not afraid of dogs.  My sons, 4 & 6, are also accustomed to big dogs and know to stay out of their face.  Anyway my BIL and I were out calling coyotes most of the afternoon.  When we got back I could see something was wrong by the look on my wife's face.  She told me my son was attacked by the "guard dog" but he was OK.  Apparently my son accidently stepped on his foot and the dog jumped him.  He took my 6 yr old to the ground and bit his head, leaving about an 1-1/2 gash on the back of his head.  Luckily my nephew was there to pull the dog away before he could get a second grip.  As anyone who has ever been around a head wound knows, blood was everywhere.  My blood soaked tearful son asked my wife if he was going to die.  My sister being a nurse immediately sanitiized and glued the gash together.  She cleaned him up and bandaged his head.  When I learned of what happened my first thought was of my son's welfare, my second was of this dog's pending death.  My policy is to down any dog that can't be trusted especially if they attack someone.  I can't afford to trust my small sons around untrustworthy animals.  Well, I kept my tongue for the most part.  I expressed my strong opinion but didn't push it.  My sister is very close to me and we have a tight family.  She knows the dog would be dead if I were present at the time of the attack, either by my hands, knife, or G19.  I told her I wanted him dead.  I told her someday it's unpredictable behavior would cost her a lawsuit or worse a child.  I told her we would not visit again while the dog was there.  I promised my son he would never see the dog again and I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect him.  The dog still lives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuckin mutt should be dead post haste.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit. I have 3 60-80 Pound dogs. If one of my kids walked on them the dog would jump up and knock the kid over. The dog in your story needs to be put down.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I love all dogs. That said ,that one would be put down.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
No quandary at all.  No kids at the sister's house until the dog takes a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You say the dog has bitten you(minor or not, it's a bite, and a warning to watch the dog) and now has bitten your child? Get that documented. Don't necessarily sue a family member but that dog needs to be evaluated as a possible vicious animal. Glad your kid's OK and it wasn't worse, but if killing the dog is not an option the bite needs to be legally documented before someone gets killed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that puppy deserves a delicious bowl of antifreeze.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had dogs most of my life. Several were very "strong willed" dogs. Being a "stronger willed" owner, I never had a serious problem. That said, this dog needs to go. The owner has not controled this beast. I know we will have many here who want this hard as nails, killer that only they can control....well this will come back to BITE you.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I love dogs.This dog has to go it can not be trusted.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No quandary at all.  No kids at the sister's house until the dog takes a dirt nap.

I fail to see a quandary as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You say the dog has bitten you(minor or not, it's a bite, and a warning to watch the dog) and now has bitten your child? Get that documented. Don't necessarily sue a family member but that dog needs to be evaluated as a possible vicious animal. Glad your kid's OK and it wasn't worse, but if killing the dog is not an option the bite needs to be legally documented before someone gets killed.

This.  File a report if nothing else... It shows you're serious about fixing the problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
New Years Eve the family and I were visiting my sister and her family.  They have 3 dogs.  Two are very friendly and one is a "guard dog".  They all run loose and the "guard dog" has always worried me.  He bit my leg once when I happened to walk past him.  I have always kept GSD's and am not afraid of dogs.  My sons, 4 & 6, are also accustomed to big dogs and know to stay out of their face.  Anyway my BIL and I were out calling coyotes most of the afternoon.  When we got back I could see something was wrong by the look on my wife's face.  She told me my son was attacked by the "guard dog" but he was OK.  Apparently my son accidently stepped on his foot and the dog jumped him.  He took my 6 yr old to the ground and bit his head, leaving about an 1-1/2 gash on the back of his head.  Luckily my nephew was there to pull the dog away before he could get a second grip.  As anyone who has ever been around a head wound knows, blood was everywhere.  My blood soaked tearful son asked my wife if he was going to die.  My sister being a nurse immediately sanitiized and glued the gash together.  She cleaned him up and bandaged his head.  When I learned of what happened my first thought was of my son's welfare, my second was of this dog's pending death.  My policy is to down any dog that can't be trusted especially if they attack someone.  I can't afford to trust my small sons around untrustworthy animals.  Well, I kept my tongue for the most part.  I expressed my strong opinion but didn't push it.  My sister is very close to me and we have a tight family.  She knows the dog would be dead if I were present at the time of the attack, either by my hands, knife, or G19.  I told her I wanted him dead.  I told her someday it's unpredictable behavior would cost her a lawsuit or worse a child.  I told her we would not visit again while the dog was there.  I promised my son he would never see the dog again and I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect him.  The dog still lives.

First, I'm glad your son is OK.

Second, but if you knew that the dog was dangerous and "worried you" why did you allow your son to be close to that dog?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Put him down.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell sis to kill the dog and stay away until she does.

The dog has bit at least two people.  

Since she's family, go over and kill it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

really? if you must put a dog down shoot it or have a veterinarian put it down.
poisoning is a cruel, torturous sissy move.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

First post wins again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:20:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  File a report if nothing else... It shows you're serious about fixing the problem.

That would be a pretty messed up thing to do to a sibling.  There's no reason for this to leave the family, especially since the OP mentioned that his family is really close and solid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]
How hard is it for people to grasp the concept that some dogs bite? Why would you let your kids

near a dog thats not yours?

My dog bites, He will bite you, your kid, the mailman or any other person who invades his space.

Thats his job. Its why I have him its also the reason I keep him in his room when I have people

at the house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, I'm glad your son is OK.

Second, but if you knew that the dog was dangerous and "worried you" why did you allow your son to be close to that dog?

While I might understand where you were coming from with this comment. I think it was out of line.

The man has enough on his mind right now... Jeez.
GD never fails to (dis)please...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Should have been done sooner.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just damn, what a remark.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a 135# St. Bernard who will let kids do anything they want to him. If he gets tired of playing (rare) he just shakes everybody off and runs away. He is good with cats too, especially kittens. However, if he feels a stranger poses a threat to any one in "his pack" he goes into defensive mode and growls in a way that makes Cujo look like a Cocker Spaniel. He has never bit anybody.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Any one who knows me or read my post knows of my ordeals with dogs and the in laws.  

We have lost years of relations over their putting their dogs freedom over our daughters safety.  

I am of the same mind as you but I have learned not to force the issue .  I Just chose not to visit homes with threats to my daughter.

You will find out that their dogs are more important than your children to them and when your kids are big enough to kick the living shit out of dogs on their own then you can go for a visit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How hard is it for people to grasp the concept that some dogs bite? Why would you let your kids

My dog bites, He will bite you, your kid, the mailman or any other person who invades his space.
Thats his job. Its why I have him its also the reason I keep him in his room when I have people
at the house.

Fify.

If you have a dog that has potential, lock the thing up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't step on the dog's toes and he won't bite
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:45:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any one who knows me or read my post knows of my ordeals with dogs and the in laws.  

We have lost years of relations over their putting their dogs freedom over our daughters safety.  

I am of the same mind as you but I have learned not to force the issue .  I Just chose not to visit homes with threats to my daughter.

You will find out that their dogs are more important than your children to them and when your kids are big enough to kick the living shit out of dogs on their own then you can go for a visit.

We've got some family that are pissed at us because we told them that they're limited in the length of their visits.

The reason we gave them, and it is true, is that "they" scare the cat.  The cat stays under my bed the whole time they're around, and develops urinary tract infections as a result.

Is it all of them?  Fuck no, it's just their loud, unrestrained, unhousebroken, hellion children that they have failed to socialize.  Their kids are brats.  I personally tolerate them in my home only because they are family.  I celebrate their departures.

The cat is a factually true excuse that I use to justify unpopular decisions to people I have to deal with against my will.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Blade in at a 45 degree angle with a laser pointer
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, is just horrific, isn't it? How dare I feel animosity towards an animal that bites small children on their head.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, is just horrific, isn't it? How dare I feel animosity towards an animal that bites small children on their head.

Seriously, so the dog should be tortured to death? The dog was being the kind of dog it was being allowed to be. It should be taken to the VET and put down humanely.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#30]
They can put the dog down themselves, or they can discuss the matter with animal control.  I don't care which.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

at the house.

Fify.

If you have a dog that has potential, lock the thing up.

Both of these!

It is the humans fault this is happening.
Why kill the dog?
The dog is a known quantity.
The dog is dominant.
If you won't dominate and watch dog, lock dog up when kid is around.
Problem solved and no dog needs to be poisoned, shot, stabbed, etc....

Plus... there is about 50 more levels to this story, which all end in fail for the owners and humans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would be the first one to put a dog down for attacking a child unprovoked. Without being present for this, it's hard to say.

My GSD tried to grab onto my SIL's head the other night. She decided to rough house with my 13yr old daughter and jumped on her. The dog who isn't familiar with the SIL took it as a threat and went to defend my daughter.

I didn't blame the dog for what happened.

stop trying to insert reason here! this is GD, where everyone is a Rambo and would ventilate a dog for looking at them funny, having said that, I agree! The dog was "hurt", not intentionally, and he/she reacted, if the dog truly "attacked" I doubt that small gash would be the only damage done?? I've seen people bitten by rat dogs with worse injuries, this isn't a case to put down a dog.

and to the braintrust saying they should give the dog antifreeze, you do know it's a painful way to go don't you? or are you just a sadistic person enjoys that kind of crap?? pull wings off of butterflies and legs off of bugs when you were younger by chance?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I've killed dogs for alot less

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#34]
The dog is a liability.  If it bites a stranger your sister will be held responsible, both criminally and financially.

The dog needs to be put down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Agreed, that your kids shouldn't be around that dog. But there are other options than killing it. There are potentially many settings where that dog could be beneficial and live on. Not a domestic family setting of course, but someone may be able to handle / train that dog. Just because that dog, in that setting is a mismatch, doesn't mean the dog NEEDS to be put down.

-JC
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like your sister is a typical dog owner, all love and no control.
I bet the mean dog was there first and she thought "I know, I'll get more dogs, that always makes it better".

What does your sister's husband say about all of this?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, so the dog should be tortured to death? The dog was being the kind of dog it was being allowed to be. It should be taken to the VET and put down humanely.

Dude, it was me just being a sarcastic smartass. I have never or will ever feed fucking antifreeze to a dog. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Momma says "It's because he's got all those teeth and no toothbrush"- Waterboy
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Don't step on the dog's toes and he won't bite

This is an uninformed opinion.

A dog should not bite a person for any reason, if it's a family pet. The dog feels above its place in the hierarchy and there's not much to be done about it.

A "guard" dog requires a devoted, knowledgeable, trained owner and appropriate enviornment. It doesn't sound like any of these exist here.

I won't (and haven't) abide a dog that will bite.

Both my rot and lab will let the kids waller them, take their food, pull their ears/tail, etc. I can clip their nails without any trouble. That's because they were conditioned to be that way since they were pups. However, they were all out playing and an agressive GSD came in the yard and something interesting happened. The lab went and stood inbetween the kids and the GSD. The rot tore into him until he exited the yard post haste.

It surprised me that such a docile, complacent animal could change so fast. She came right back and licked all over "her kids" while the lab trotted around keeping a lookout (I guess).

I'm very surprised your sis wouldn't do the right thing, straight away. If not for to make things right with you and your boy, then to preserve her finacial well being in the future. She has a liability, in that dog.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am of the same mind as you but I have learned not to force the issue . I Just chose not to visit homes with threats to my daughter.

We've got some family that are pissed at us because we told them that they're limited in the length of their visits.

The reason we gave them, and it is true, is that "they" scare the cat. The cat stays under my bed the whole time they're around, and develops urinary tract infections as a result.

Is it all of them? Fuck no, it's just their loud, unrestrained, unhousebroken, hellion children that they have failed to socialize. Their kids are brats. I personally tolerate them in my home only because they are family. I celebrate their departures.

The cat is a factually true excuse that I use to justify unpopular decisions to people I have to deal with against my will.
You need a bigger, meaner, intact kitty. They have ways of "educating" children like that.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

New Years Eve the family and I were visiting my sister and her family.  They have 3 dogs.  Two are very friendly and one is a "guard dog".  They all run loose and the "guard dog" has always worried me.  He bit my leg once...

I stopped reading right there.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I may be confused but I thought guard dogs were supposed to bite
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I may be confused but I thought guard dogs were supposed to bite

Guard dogs are supposed to bark.  Attack dogs bite.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#45]
So you didn't take your son to the hospital for a 1 1/2" gash inflicted by dog mouth?  

What.  Thee.  Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
You knew the dog had tendencies and allowed your son near it. In that situation I would have told my sister well before that when we're over the dog needs to go in the basement, the yard, a bedroom, ect..

Sounds like the dog was doing it's job, defending the house against a possible threat. The dog has no clue your son is related he just knows it's not a normal person in the house.

If your son hopped a neighbors fence, stepped on a dogs foot and was bit the same way would you demand your neighbor kill his dog? If you answer yes, sorry but your very wrong.

My dogs have bit me and even drawn blood, but 99.9% of the time they're fine and I'm not gonna put a .45 into a chihuahua's head because it dosen't like me cutting it's nails.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You knew the dog had tendencies and allowed your son near it. In that situation I would have told my sister well before that when we're over the dog needs to go in the basement, the yard, a bedroom, ect..

Sounds like the dog was doing it's job, defending the house against a possible threat. The dog has no clue your son is related he just knows it's not a normal person in the house.

If your son hopped a neighbors fence and was bit the same way would you demand your neighbor kill his dog? If you answer yes, sorry but your very wrong.

My dogs have bit me and even drawn blood, but 99.9% of the time they're fine and I'm not gonna put a .45 into a chihuahua's head because it dosen't like me cutting it's nails.
Pet dogs have had many generations of "don't bite humans" bred into them.

I've had several dogs "mouth" me when they're learning that when I decide it's time to cut their nails, they are getting cut. My lab was really dead set against it. He was hell to hold down and he came around and put his mouth on my hand but knew better than to bite. Some petting and reassurance and he learned that I wasn't cutting his feet off. Now, I get the clippers out, and a couple treats and they will lay unrestrained for the trimming.

A dog that will bite has lost or never had the inhibition towards biting humans and is a danger. I would certainly agree, though, that the problem with most dogs is people. (That's Robert Ruark's line, not mine)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Dig a hole.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#49]
May we ask the breed of this "guard dog"?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#50]

This thread is filled with so much stupid, Obama is gonna come in here and sign off on it.

Every adult there is at fault.  Owning a powerful dog has responsibilities.  These were neglected in this situation.  Same goes for being a parent.  

I say the parent and the owner should be put down.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top