Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 1:20:42 PM EDT
The human eye is attracted to movement rather than static images. In forests, even lightly wooded ones, you will never see the animals unless they are moving or you have extra keen eyesight. Often times when they are moving, they are mostly obscured by trees or brush, making target identification difficult. Therefore, any movement seen in the forest could very well be the target animal.

In the old days, there was a low density of hunters. The NRA safety rules had yet to be established. People weren't too smart about hunting. They would often hose down the area where movement was spotted and then go check it out. The problem is, if that movement was caused by people, you likely just killed someone. Hunting was rather dangerous in these days.

Because of the movement vs. image thing, many hunters will still prematurely get an adrenaline dump and get trigger happy. A number of precautions can be taken to insure you don't get shot during deer/elk season.

1) If going hiking, jogging, etc during hunting season, NEVER WEAR BROWN. Movement combined with brown color will make dumb asses moresure of their target.

2) Wear orange, even if not hunting during hunting season. With the exception of poisonous frogs in the jungle, there is absolutely nothing in nature that looks neon orange. It is bright. Moving orange attracts attention like crazy, and since it is immediately recognized as a non-natural it may diffuse the situation.

3) Avoid riding through the woods on horse back. Brown horses in particular with people up top look an awful lot like bull elk with huge racks. Horses and elk in general look a whole lot alike. If hunting on horseback, decorate your horse like a Christmas tree of neon orange. And hope bubba's great grandpa who is still drunk from drinking too much wild turkey 101 from the night before realized elk are not orange.

4) Avoid being in the forests during deer season. There are a lot of really stupid hunters. Plus, in rifle hunt areas, bullets go a long way, and not everyone is smart about their back stops.

While hunting is no where near as dangerous as it was 60 years ago, it isn't exactly safe either. Take precautions, whether you are a hunter or otherwise, to avoid getting offed by some idiot fudd with grand pappy's modified mauser 98 bubba fucked after WWI.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The thin camo line.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
To prove my point about elk and show off what I killed last week (again)...

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I went hiking during hunting season, I brought an air horn.  Every thirty seconds or so, I'd give a good solid blast.  Those dumbass hunters must have still thought I was a deer because I got shot at several times.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Does your father know you're smoking marijuana at 3:30 in the afternoon?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
"Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second."
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
And yet none of your post takes into account that some inbred retard is firing a weapon without having visual confirmation of his target.  Return fire is the only proper response to such idiocy.  It may be an "accident" that he fired on another person, but that doesn't negate the risk of grave bodily injury or death due to his negligence.

I agree with your precautions but I wouldn't feel any sympathy for a fudd who caught a bullet for his stupidity.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392128_3038221238689_1357759271_33392908_2119560395_n.jpg  

I thought killing horses was illegal?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And yet none of your post takes into account that some inbred retard is firing a weapon without having visual confirmation of his target.  Return fire is the only proper response to such idiocy.  It may be an "accident" that he fired on another person, but that doesn't negate the risk of grave bodily injury or death due to his negligence.

I agree with your precautions but I wouldn't feel any sympathy for a fudd who caught a bullet for his stupidity.

I agree, and would seriously consider it. By shot two it would be go time.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392128_3038221238689_1357759271_33392908_2119560395_n.jpg  

That's where my fucking horse went.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]

you shot sarah?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The human eye is attracted to movement rather than static images. In forests, even lightly wooded ones, you will never see the animals unless they are moving or you have extra keen eyesight. Often times when they are moving, they are mostly obscured by trees or brush, making target identification difficult. Therefore, any movement seen in the forest could very well be the target animal.

In the old days, there was a low density of hunters. The NRA safety rules had yet to be established. People weren't too smart about hunting. They would often hose down the area where movement was spotted and then go check it out. The problem is, if that movement was caused by people, you likely just killed someone. Hunting was rather dangerous in these days.

Because of the movement vs. image thing, many hunters will still prematurely get an adrenaline dump and get trigger happy. A number of precautions can be taken to insure you don't get shot during deer/elk season.

1) If going hiking, jogging, etc during hunting season, NEVER WEAR BROWN. Movement combined with brown color will make dumb asses moresure of their target.

2) Wear orange, even if not hunting during hunting season. With the exception of poisonous frogs in the jungle, there is absolutely nothing in nature that looks neon orange. It is bright. Moving orange attracts attention like crazy, and since it is immediately recognized as a non-natural it may diffuse the situation.

3) Avoid riding through the woods on horse back. Brown horses in particular with people up top look an awful lot like bull elk with huge racks. Horses and elk in general look a whole lot alike. If hunting on horseback, decorate your horse like a Christmas tree of neon orange. And hope bubba's great grandpa who is still drunk from drinking too much wild turkey 101 from the night before realized elk are not orange.

4) Avoid being in the forests during deer season. There are a lot of really stupid hunters. Plus, in rifle hunt areas, bullets go a long way, and not everyone is smart about their back stops.

While hunting is no where near as dangerous as it was 60 years ago, it isn't exactly safe either. Take precautions, whether you are a hunter or otherwise, to avoid getting offed by some idiot fudd with grand pappy's modified mauser 98 bubba fucked after WWI.  

Sooo, stay out of the woods while you're carrying a rifle. Thanks, got it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Muzzleloader? What kind? It looks a bit like a Savage MLII. I have one, excellent rifle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You can wear blaze orange and red stripes and it isn't going to make the slightest difference for the significant number of bungholes that shoot at noise or movement.  As we see in the news - there seems to be no shortage of them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the biggest killer of hunters was heart attacks by a wide margin.

If you wanna save lives, tell them to take a walk a couple times a week.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Muzzleloader? What kind? It looks a bit like a Savage MLII. I have one, excellent rifle.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Remington 700ML. Extremely accurate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top