Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:10:04 PM EDT
I got a trojan virus warning on one of the gifs posted in a reply on page two of the thread.

The warning came from MSE.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got a trojan virus warning on one of the gifs posted in a reply on page two of the thread.

The warning came from MSE.

Yep, it was the "boom headshot" gif someone linked to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
>2012
>worried about viruses embedded in images
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Trojan%3aWin32%2fGiframe.A&threatid=2147626289

Trojan:Win32/Giframe.A (?)

Encyclopedia entry
Updated: Apr 17, 2011  |  Published: Aug 06, 2010

Aliases

IFrame.gen (Command) GIF/Iframe!generic (CA)
Trojan.DL.Giframe.a (Rising AV)
Mal/Iframe-F (Sophos)
Trojan-Clicker.HTML.IFrame (Sunbelt Software)
TROJ_IFRAME.CP (Trend Micro)

Alert Level (?)
Severe

Antimalware protection details
Microsoft recommends that you download the latest definitions to get protected.
Detection initially created:
Definition: 1.61.411.0
Released: Jun 26, 2009  

I have no personal knowledge as to the validity of the warning.

I'm adopting a better-safe-than-sorry approach.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the same.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got the same.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Linux
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Linux

Isn't that Lucy's little brother?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Linux

Yup, I enjoy laughing at the people who fret about virus infection.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to go look and see

trojan/ Giframe or some such.

MSE cleaned it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Apple
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linux

Shit.  Now I have to put out a smug warning on this thread.

Dammit.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It was my treply; my appologies. I was not aware of the gif. putting out a virus. I will delete it now.

Linux user here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linux

Dammit.

I just don't get why people use Microsoft OSes when browsing the web.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linux

Dammit.

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linux

Dammit.

FIFY

I like not having to dick around with anything when I feel like playing a video game.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
hmm no problems here ... oh yeah I don't use windows
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linux

Dammit.

FIFY

I like not having to dick around with anything when I feel like playing a video game.

I've been an avid gamer for as long as I can remember. I don't have to "dick around" with anything to game, either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I just set this comp up and dont have any anti-virus programs running. Am i fucked ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just set this comp up and dont have any anti-virus programs running. Am i fucked ?

The simplest way to keep yourself from getting fucked is to go to your control panel, find the "user accounts" .cpl and create a "standard user" account that you use to surf the web.

People who run M$ operating systems as the local admin (the default setup) are the cause of all virus/malware infections. Install M$ Security Essentials, create a standard user account and you're in the 1 percent of M$ users who probably *won't* get fucked at some point.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The simplest way to keep yourself from getting fucked is to go to your control panel, find the "user accounts" .cpl and create a "standard user" account that you use to surf the web. run Linux.

People who run M$ operating systems as the local admin (the default setup) are the cause of all virus/malware infections. Install M$ Security Essentials, create a standard user account and you're in the 1 percent of M$ users who probably *won't* get fucked at some point. Linux.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The simplest way to keep yourself from getting fucked is to go to your control panel, find the "user accounts" .cpl and create a "standard user" account that you use to surf the web. run Linux.

People who run M$ operating systems as the local admin (the default setup) are the cause of all virus/malware infections. Install M$ Security Essentials, create a standard user account and you're in the 1 percent of M$ users who probably *won't* get fucked at some point. Linux.

FIFY.

I dont even know what the hell Linux is.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It was my treply; my appologies. I was not aware of the gif. putting out a virus. I will delete it now.

Linux user here.

I TAKE IT BACK!!1!  LINUX USERS SPREAD VIRUSES THROUGH UNAWARENESS OF IMPORTANT SECURITY PROBLEMS FACED YB EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!  IF IT WEREN'T FOR THOSE DAMN PENGUIN-PHILES THE WORLD WOULD BE SAFER FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!  ALL HAIL BILL GATES!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY.

it's this
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's an OS that, among other things, can conveniently be run off a CD, thereby preventing viruses from infecting your machine both because (a) it's not a Microsoft OS and therefore isn't an insecure pile of crap, and (b) it's on a CD, so a virus can't install itself permanently like it can on a hard drive.

For example, http://www.ubuntu.com/
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linux user here.

I TAKE IT BACK!!1!  LINUX USERS SPREAD VIRUSES THROUGH UNAWARENESS OF IMPORTANT SECURITY PROBLEMS FACED YB EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!  IF IT WEREN'T FOR THOSE DAMN PENGUIN-PHILES THE WORLD WOULD BE SAFER FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!  ALL HAIL BILL GATES!

There is a grain of truth in your satire. People who are unaffected and therefore unconcerned about virus/malware infections have a tendency to be a little more "fast and loose" with their surfing habits.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an OS that, among other things, can conveniently be run off a CD, thereby preventing viruses from infecting your machine both because (a) it's not a Microsoft OS and therefore isn't an insecure pile of crap, and (b) it's on a CD, so a virus can't install itself permanently like it can on a hard drive.

For example, http://www.ubuntu.com/

It can also be run from thumb drive or installed, either alongside Windows, as a virtual machine inside Windows or, my personal favorite, instead of Windows.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
If I want to play games I boot windows 7

If I want to browse GD I boot puppy linux from a USB
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why not install a "full featured" distro alongside win7 and dual boot? At least you can have persistent files and settings. Ubuntu will do it natively.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Great, I just finished watching contagion, now this.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Seeing as how y'all are discussing it....

How difficult is it for a casual user to transition to Linux?  Is it user friendly or do I need to recode my socks into Unix or something?

Is there a free version?  If not, what is the cost?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How difficult is it for a casual user to transition to Linux?  Is it user friendly or do I need to recode my socks into Unix or something?

It's not the same environment it was 10 years ago. Many distros have moved away from the "geek" aspects of the *nix world and moved into the "user friendly, Windows look-a-like, shallow learning curve" space in an attempt to attract more user base.

Virtually all distros of Linux are free (ubuntu is by far the most user friendly, in my opinion) and some are even purpose built (mint for HTPCs springs to mind). It used to be possible to buy Red Hat in a box that included tech support but, it's no longer necessary with the ubiquitous availability of the internet. One of the nice things about Linux is that virtually EVERYTHING for the platform is frre. Office suites, productivity software, CAD programs .... everything.

It's not a bad way to go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not install a "full featured" distro alongside win7 and dual boot? At least you can have persistent files and settings. Ubuntu will do it natively.

I dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10.

I am just trying out puppy linux and am very impressed so far. I like being able to pop the usb out and take my "computer" anywhere with me.

Plus I have several computers without hard drives so it's nice to be able to boot those too.

I definitely recommend dual booting Ubuntu with Windows for everyone who hasn't tried it yet though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am just trying out puppy linux and am very impressed so far. I like being able to pop the usb out and take my "computer" anywhere with me.

Plus I have several computers without hard drives so it's nice to be able to boot those too.

I definitely recommend dual booting Ubuntu with Windows for everyone who hasn't tried it yet though.

Ah, roger. Yeah, I've used the shit out of puppy for work to circumvent AD folder permissions on hard drives with a bad OS. Puppy is nice because as small as it is has a damn fat driver repository, particularly for NICs.

I did the dual boot thing the first 2 or 3 months I started using Linux. I have found that have virtually no use for M$ products anymore. If I "need" windows for something I usually just fire up a VM.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, roger. Yeah, I've used the shit out of puppy for work to circumvent AD folder permissions on hard drives with a bad OS. Puppy is nice because as small as it is has a damn fat driver repository, particularly for NICs.

I did the dual boot thing the first 2 or 3 months I started using Linux. I have found that have virtually no use for M$ products anymore. If I "need" windows for something I usually just fire up a VM.

Have you tried any KDE distros? I was thinking about giving Kubuntu a shot later today.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I really like Linux.  I admit I don't have time to learn it the way I should, but for browsing the Internet, E-Mail, and a variety of other simple everyday things, it works great.  Most apps open with a simple double-click like Windows and operate like Windows, so no learning curve there.  The only problem is that some installs and functions do require strange command strings worse than DOS ever required.  They literally make no sense.  I just don't have time to learn a new OS that way at the moment.  I have been running Linux Mint though for over a year and browse exclusively with it.  I only use Windows when I need it, but not for Internet activity.

I'm looking to upgrade my Linux soon and might go with something else or at least a newer version of Mint.  It's worth it to me, but I still say keep Windows on hand as dual boot or on another machine (e.g., laptop, HDD).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Linux

Aye

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm a cheapskate. I use Linux.

ETA: Take your pick! Ubuntu is a good place to start. Mint is based off of Ubuntu, and is much more straightforward in many respects (has "non-free" codecs installed by default or some such, which makes listening to music and watching video easier).

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The simplest way to keep yourself from getting fucked is to go to your control panel, find the "user accounts" .cpl and create a "standard user" account that you use to surf the web.

People who run M$ operating systems as the local admin (the default setup) are the cause of all virus/malware infections. Install M$ Security Essentials, create a standard user account and you're in the 1 percent of M$ users who probably *won't* get fucked at some point.

Possibly one of the most retarded statements I've read on Arf all week.  Congratulations.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly one of the most retarded statements I've read on Arf all week.  Congratulations.  

3 extra retard points for using "M$" instead of "Microsoft" or "MS."

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a cheapskate. I use Linux.

ETA: Take your pick! Ubuntu is a good place to start. Mint is based off of Ubuntu, and is much more straightforward in many respects (has "non-free" codecs installed by default or some such, which makes listening to music and watching video easier).

And here is another awesome benefit of linux... I am downloading Mint to try it now. God I love being able to swap distros on demand.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#42]
OK so you guys are using OS's that don't have as much market saturation.

What a browny.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OK so you guys are using OS's that don't have as much market saturation.

What a browny.

Yep, rare as hen's teeth.

In September 2008 Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted that 60% of web-servers run Linux versus 40% that run Windows Server.[88]

Absolutely no point in hackers attacking an OS that runs on a mere 60% of servers. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top