Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2012 12:58:24 PM EDT
May be a dupe, didn't see anything. I bet the .gov tries to put the screws to this guy

"He has been charged with trying to bring explosives onto an airplane, which carries a maximum 10-year federal prison sentence.

Atwater, based at Fort Bragg, N.C., told the FBI he is a demolitions expert who returned from his third deployment to Afghanistan in April, according to court documents. He said his Army special forces team always carried at least two blocks of C-4, but he didn't know any explosives were in his bag when he returned to the U.S.

He said he didn't see any explosives in the main compartment of the bag when he packed for his trip to Texas. The bag had been in his garage and hadn't been used since he returned from overseas, according to court documents."

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm. That sucks for him.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks..but how do you forget you have explosives in your bag? I mean I know stuff like is old hat for the those guys but come on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No brass, no ammo, Drill Sergeant!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
"Ooops".
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you miss two bricks of C-4 being in your luggage?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That sucks..but how do you forget you have explosives in your bag? I mean I know stuff like is old hat for the those guys but come on.

:shrugs: i guess if u use it everday it jus becomes one of those things

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Get used to having something around and just don't think about it.  Can see it happening.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an NCO in my platoon in 2008  who was prepping for a mission and took his back plate out of his vest to get it more comfortable. He reached in and pulled out a breach charge (det cord). He looked at it all shocked and said, "I put this in here my last deployment (2005), which means I've been through airport security on two PCS moves with explosives in my bag. Fuck." We all had a good laugh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you miss two bricks of C-4 being in your luggage?

It was shaped like the C-4 rabbit and squirrel like in Caddyshack.  

Seriously, they ought to dismiss the charges.  The man likely served his Country admirably and he clearly did not have any intent.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
...Atwater was detained at the Fayetteville, N.C., airport on Dec. 24 when
security agents found a military smoke grenade in his carry-on bag,
according to court documents. The documents don't say whether officials
now suspect C-4 may have been in his bag then but was missed during
additional screening, or whether the C-4 was found in the same bag as
the grenade, although a week later and at a different airport...

Dump your shit before you try to reuse deployment bags....

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that's called a Career Limiting Event (CLE).
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had an NCO in my platoon in 2008  who was prepping for a mission and took his back plate out of his vest to get it more comfortable. He reached in and pulled out a breach charge (det cord). He looked at it all shocked and said, "I put this in here my last deployment (2005), which means I've been through airport security on two PCS moves with explosives in my bag. Fuck." We all had a good laugh.

whoops and disconcerting

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
That's quite the thing to forget that you have in your bag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have made it through airport security on 3 occasions with my Kershaw wave.  I carry it every single day and putting it in my laptop bag is like putting my wallet in my back pocket.  Each time, I remember it at the last second as my bag goes through X-ray.  And on each occasion, nothing has happened.  

When I was in the Corps., my seabag went through security with 3 loaded M16 mags in the bottom of it along with a Kabar that had been under my spare set of boots longer than I care to remember.  I didnt realise it till I got home and emptied the bag out completely and saw everything hit the floor.  I was like......
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope it works out somehow for this dude.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I miss mens rea.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...Atwater was detained at the Fayetteville, N.C., airport on Dec. 24 when security agents found a military smoke grenade in his carry-on bag, according to court documents. The documents don't say whether officials now suspect C-4 may have been in his bag then but was missed during additional screening, or whether the C-4 was found in the same bag as the grenade, although a week later and at a different airport...

Dump your shit before you try to reuse deployment bags....

Exactly what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get used to having something around and just don't think about it.  Can see it happening.

Yup. To me... a recurve bow is just that: a bow. So what? I may or may not have had a bow in plain view tucked behind my headrests for several trips on or off base.

One day I was trying to remember where I put it... then it hit me...

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
May be a dupe, didn't see anything. I bet the .gov tries to put the screws to this guy

I really see no reason why they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Judge: For sentencing... time served. Next case!

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL, it really is quite easy to do. I hope the best for this guy if he is being honest about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
You cant bring fire on a plane,everbody knows that
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Judge: For sentencing... time served. Next case!

I like the sentiment, but that would mean this guy was convicted of a felony. Good bye clearance, good bye Special Forces Regiment, hello Court Martial.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]
c4 to him was like a pocket knife to me
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Lucky for him it wasn't a red velvet cupcake or a rhinestone handgun image on his man purse.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Something tells me that's not the first time he or some of his buddies have been through security with bang bang supplies...just got caught this time.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I personally know this man and can without a doubt say that this is accidental.

We constantly used the same bags for deployment as travel.

Haven't been able to talk with him yet but he was returning to Bragg with his family.

Which means he made it from Raleigh to Texas with no issues, probably would have been easier to explain in NC.

You don't smuggle shit onto post, there is plenty of it there already.

I hope he gets this all worked out and gets on with his career.

Please keep the asshatery to a minimum.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

When I was in the Corps., my seabag went through security with 3 loaded M16 mags in the bottom of it along with a Kabar that had been under my spare set of boots longer than I care to remember.  I didnt realise it till I got home and emptied the bag out completely and saw everything hit the floor.  I was like......

This is perfectly legal though, it was your seabag not your carry on.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
c4 to him was like a pocket knife to me

Was going to post this. I have lost more than one knife because I forgot I had put it in my pocket as I do every time I leave the house.
Can't go into the museums downtown with a knife, Tried to get one of the Security Guards (Prior Military) to hold it for me.  Against Police Brother, Sorry.

Oh Well.

Good Luck to the guy.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Holy Fuckin Can Opener Batman!

2 bricks?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#32]
So much for attention to detail.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I miss mens rea.

Word.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Is C4 technically an explosive without a blasting-cap?  Wonder if his defense could argue that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I accidentally carried a bunch of 7.62 rounds into Dubai when I flew in there from Kabul once. My "Run bag" I carried on my missions in Afgh, I also used, to toss loose rounds into that I pulled out of the feeder/de-linker on the mini gun after flights when I was safing it. When it got kinda heavy, I would dig them all out and give them to the armament guy to re use. One of my trips home, I packed my run bag for use as a carry on and did not find all the loose rounds rolling around in there. It was a little tense in the little room at Dubai for a while.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
50 years ago no one would have cared.  How times have changed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is C4 technically an explosive without a blasting-cap?  Wonder if his defense could argue that.

Take a bit of C4 and put it on the backside of a shovel. Then hit a tree and see what happens.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't been able to talk with him yet but he was returning to Bragg with his family.

Which means he made it from Raleigh to Texas with no issues, probably would have been easier to explain in NC.

To be fair, it seems unlikely that the C4 was in the bag on the way to Texas. I mean really., security finds a  smoke grenade in your bag and they detain you and they miss 2 blocks of C4? AND then he doesn't notice it while on vacation or packing for the return flight?

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here, but it seems so unlikely that it is almost impossible.

Hopefully it was just a mistake, but don't be surprised when a lot of people don't believe that.

Trust me I'm aware.  Actually when I got the call from a friend about Trey's dilemma we laughed at first cause we knew what had happened.  

We were not aware of what all was found until the story broke.  Asked a few other green beanies if they knew anything and as of now all that is known is what is being reported.

Which, let's not kid ourselves, is going to be painted in the worst possible light.

As far as TSA not finding it the first go round, it doesn't surprise me at all and many of the bags used have more pockets than you know what to do with.  It's easy to loose stuff in there.

Again hopefully he can get this sorted out and go on with his career.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Explosives expert, vetern, seems okay to me. No Bill if I was on the GJ.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, it seems unlikely that the C4 was in the bag on the way to Texas. I mean really., security finds a  smoke grenade in your bag and they detain you and they miss 2 blocks of C4? AND then he doesn't notice it while on vacation or packing for the return flight?

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here, but it seems so unlikely that it is almost impossible.

Hopefully it was just a mistake, but don't be surprised when a lot of people don't believe that.

If i had to guess, the guy knew, but hoped it would make it through security, should have just shipped it through UPS or FedEx.

Anyhow, who gives a fuck. It's not like the guy was about to strap on a suicide vest and take out the fucking plane.

probably has a gopher problem...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take a bit of C4 and put it on the backside of a shovel. Then hit a tree and see what happens.

Nothing, unless it's on fire.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#43]
If everyone packed C4 in their luggage it would be no big deal.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm sorry to hear your friend is getting screwed for an innocent error. I hope someone in the judicial process can see some common sense.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whoops forgot a step

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me I'm aware.  Actually when I got the call from a friend about Trey's dilemma we laughed at first cause we knew what had happened.  

We were not aware of what all was found until the story broke.  Asked a few other green beanies if they knew anything and as of now all that is known is what is being reported.

Which, let's not kid ourselves, is going to be painted in the worst possible light.

As far as TSA not finding it the first go round, it doesn't surprise me at all and many of the bags used have more pockets than you know what to do with.  It's easy to loose stuff in there.

Again hopefully he can get this sorted out and go on with his career.

What are the chances he can get the right people to stand up for him with the USA and the Agent in charge of the case?  That could make a huge difference.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tested be mythbusters. Still nothing. Has to have a blasting cap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tested be mythbusters. Still nothing. Has to have a blasting cap.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top